Winter projects, purchases, upgrades ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Winter projects, purchases, upgrades ?

Post by weeksy »

What you got for winter then ?

I must admit, i've got nothing this year. I'd LIKE a down blipper on the XSR, but the expense is just too great for the actual benefit.

The ZX6R has had it's oil change done already and is good to go, but i think Mrs Weeksy is planning a couple/three trackdays before Portimao so will need to factor in some extra tyres i hadn't planned.

But there's no incoming bikes or bits this year.... I'm hoping you all have some though.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Winter projects, purchases, upgrades ?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

New tyres is all the CBR needs.

Bonnie currently has no cylinders or head, they're off being fixed. When they come back I'll put it all back together, fit new throttle cables, new clutch cable, try and stop the speedo rattling, fix the HT leads, sort the fuel levels in the carbs.

Then when all thats done contemplate changing its tyres myself. Still in two minds on that one.

Plenty to keep me going :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:25 am New tyres is all the CBR needs.

Bonnie currently has no cylinders or head, they're off being fixed. When they come back I'll put it all back together, fit new throttle cables, new clutch cable, try and stop the speedo rattling, fix the HT leads, sort the fuel levels in the carbs.

Then when all thats done contemplate changing its tyres myself. Still in two minds on that one.

Plenty to keep me going :D
Man that needs some thread time...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Thread is already there, I just have nothing to put in it ATM. Waiting for the head and cylinders :D
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

The T309 - new fork internals and re chrome ....
New shock in the post - wheel corrosion be tackled at the moment. Then may pay a detail to try and clean up some of the scratches in the paintwork ...
Other than that - nothing else on bikes ...
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

A rather tatty YPVS 350 that I'm gradually rebuilding to how I want, a Z1000J with an 1170 engine and a load of other modifications that needs it carbs stripping and cleaning (again) and an FZ750 that is fine to ride, but I have got a 911cc race engine for it sat in the garage doing nothing. I've also got an FZR400 that needs it's chain adjusting, and if I get bored I might put a TZ250 seat unit on it.
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

Same old story here.
2 x 900SS Ducatis; one isn't far off being able to fire up. the other still has the engine on the bench.
Focus will be on the trackbike. bar some potential metal fab as the rear of the subframe for a seat, it only needs exhausts, oil cooler and fuel pump & filter sorting (they live inside the tank which needs painting..).

Need to give the Triumph Tiger a good clean and ACF50. Its probably going to live outside over winter to leave some more room so I'll give it some love first!
I need to put an MOT on the Yamaha Trailways, it might get sold as No.2 son wants a twist and go scoot to start with.

The Monster 1200 doesn't need anything apart from being ridden :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:17 am Same old story here.
2 x 900SS Ducatis; one isn't far off being able to fire up. the other still has the engine on the bench.
Focus will be on the trackbike. bar some potential metal fab as the rear of the subframe for a seat, it only needs exhausts, oil cooler and fuel pump & filter sorting (they live inside the tank which needs painting..).

Need to give the Triumph Tiger a good clean and ACF50. Its probably going to live outside over winter to leave some more room so I'll give it some love first!
I need to put an MOT on the Yamaha Trailways, it might get sold as No.2 son wants a twist and go scoot to start with.

The Monster 1200 doesn't need anything apart from being ridden :)
What scheme you planning on both now?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Fazer needs a service which wont take much but the Ducati is ready for next year once its MOT'ed tomorrow.

No chance of buying any more bikes over the winter for me though.....nowhere to put any more unless i build a gaarge first :thumbdown:
Skub

Post by Skub »

There's a couple of things I'd *like done to the Zed over the Winter.

Fit a set of heated grips. I always use Summer gloves and some coldish days my old pinkies suffer.

Either a revalve,or a cartridge mod on the forks. The rear Ohlins is good enough,but the forks feel a bit cheap seats.

*time and life permitting
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

Already fitted a Vape ignition to my MZ , also converted to 12volts.
Just picked up a Mikuni VM30 carb , brand new , so will be purchasing jets and
making a few tweaks to fit it to my MZ.
Last edited by kendo57 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

kendo57 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:04 pm Already ready fitted a Vape ignition to my MZ , also converted to 12volts.
Just picked up a Mikuni VM30 carb , brand new , so will be purchasing jets and
making a few tweaks to fit it to my MZ.
What MZ?
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

MZ 250 G5 ISDT

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cool stuff... i know absolutely nothing about it... but yeah, nice one.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Do you use it for Long Distance Trials of anything like that?
Honda Owner
Newey

Post by Newey »

GPR steering damper for the XSR, clean it, change the oil then to bed with it. I'm considering an ABBA sky stand just because the wife wants to get me something for that December holiday time. I'll look over the Husqvarna ready to sell it to make room for a FJR or similar.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Same shit different day for me.

The old Rudge is in bits, waiting for new valve seats to be put in the head, new valves and associated gubbins and then I can rebuild it. I don't have the kit to do the engine machine work, so had to farm it out.
My RD350LC is sitting there in 'as new' condition, but hasn't been started since (IIRC) 2018, ready to ride, just needs fluids and the time to ride it.
The TDR250 is working and on the road, cosmetically untidy but I've got lots of NOS ready for when I feel like restoring it.
The CBR600 hasn't been ridden since December last year, it's fully functional except when I needed to move it the other day I found one of the front calipers has seized up, so that needs some work now - but it's entirely likely that it won't move for another year, I don't feel like riding bikes at the moment.

My winter project is fixing up an old yacht from the late 70's. It's a beautiful thing made when all the interiors were teak and solidly built, instead of modern Ikea type interiors made of plastic and composite.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:43 am My winter project is fixing up an old yacht from the late 70's. It's a beautiful thing made when all the interiors were teak and solidly built, instead of modern Ikea type interiors made of plastic and composite.
LEts see then :)
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

So I've picked up another T140 this is an E model denoting emissions compliance for the American market required by the late 70s, so it has electronic ignition, Mk2 Amal carbs and parallel (as opposed to splayed) inlet ports. It's a 1981 model and need a few bits doing top it- firstly the carbs need a rebuild to get it running smoothly (this is typically the choke plungers needing replacing) , but the engine itself is the quietest T140 I've ever heard. Other things I will do will be to replace the UK style tank with a spare US one I have and some general tidying up, but with stainless rims and rear mudguard there is very little corrosion to address.

Le_Fromage_Grande

When I were a lad, I had a toy motorbike that looked exactly like that
Honda Owner