Prepping a bike to live outside

Anything you like about motorbikes
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Prepping a bike to live outside

Post by Jody »

I'll be picking up a drz400 sm tomorrow and it's going to spending some time living outside.

I'm wanting something to protect it, people used to talk about ACF50 (I think). Is this right for what I need, if not, what do you recommend.

TIA
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Prepping a bike to live outside

Post by weeksy »

Jody wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:17 am I'll be picking up a drz400 sm tomorrow and it's going to spending some time living outside.

I'm wanting something to protect it, people used to talk about ACF50 (I think). Is this right for what I need, if not, what do you recommend.

TIA
ACF50 is still great, each and every single piece of metal, all of them, from engine bolts to swingarm pivots, to fork clamp bolts and everything inbetween. Should see it right.

I've had bikes outside for 12-18 months without any issues, but i did take the cover off on dry days to let the bike air a bit.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Perfect, thanks

quart bottle and spray dispensing bottle ordered :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Don't ride a DRZ400 anywhere near road salt, my one looked like it had been 20 years under the sea after a single winters commuting, apart from that buy a bike cover.
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Jody wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:26 am Perfect, thanks

quart bottle and spray dispensing bottle ordered :)

and put bottle in hottish water for a minute or two to thin it. Sprays better. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've heard ACF goes everywhere when sprayed and is very thick and whilst that's a benefit in some places, is it better to spray onto a sponge/cloth and wipe it on?

Bikesocial did a big corrosion spray test and Techcote and XCP rust blocker were best. They out performed ACF by a margin. See the chart at the bottom of this. ACF lasted 5 weeks vs 19 for techcote and 25 for XCP. There is a youtube vid as well of the test which was fairly extreme.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... ant-review
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just go the whole hog and waxoil it. :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I just give it a decent clean then spray it with Mr Sheen. Both bikes look pretty good considering one's a 52 plate and the other's a 59.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:48 pm I just give it a decent clean then spray it with Mr Sheen. Both bikes look pretty good considering one's a 52 plate and the other's a 59.
Practically brand new
Honda Owner
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

ACF-50 and Bilt Hamber light underseal spray for the underside of the engine.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Before using ACF50 get a bucket of very warm water and lob the can into it to warm up the solution. It will spray on finer and less gloopy. Also cover your brakes and discs. For the hard to reach bits spray into the lid of the can and use a small paintbrush to paint it on

My 1st Multistrada in its prepped for ACF application ;)

I rode it through 3 winters commuting all year round on heavily salted roads and even for a Ducati it didnt melt
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

If you've access to a compressor it's a lot easier to spray on to your bike, the ACF goes on a lot finer and you get less wastage. I've even used a battery-powered airbrush before with good results (though it's a bit slower mind).
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:42 am I've heard ACF goes everywhere when sprayed and is very thick and whilst that's a benefit in some places, is it better to spray onto a sponge/cloth and wipe it on?

Bikesocial did a big corrosion spray test and Techcote and XCP rust blocker were best. They out performed ACF by a margin. See the chart at the bottom of this. ACF lasted 5 weeks vs 19 for techcote and 25 for XCP. There is a youtube vid as well of the test which was fairly extreme.

RiDE did a similar test where XCP won with ACF-50 in second place. I've used XCP, it's a lot thicker so stays in place a lot better. It stinks and is a bit of a bastard to wash off after a while because it's quite tacky. I think XCP is better for spray-and-forget-until-Spring.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:26 pm
Supermofo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:42 am I've heard ACF goes everywhere when sprayed and is very thick and whilst that's a benefit in some places, is it better to spray onto a sponge/cloth and wipe it on?

RiDE did a similar test where XCP won with ACF-50 in second place. I've used XCP, it's a lot thicker so stays in place a lot better. It stinks and is a bit of a bastard to wash off after a while because it's quite tacky. I think XCP is better for spray-and-forget-until-Spring.
Yes from what I've read/youtube'd I think ACF or even I think FS364 is best for me. My bike sits in the garage and doesn't turn a wheel in the winter so reckon XCP sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Considering that, FS365 has been my go to. Spray it on and leave till spring, not like I have to worry about it getting washed off, it's just to help against the damp.

This year though I was thinking of some ACF as have a couple of bits of rust in the engine bay of my car I was going to do just to stop it getting worse.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I just have a decent covers on my bikes, both of which live outside now. The covers are there to protect them from the sun rather than wet weather.

I think the salt and crap they chuck on the roads does for the finish now. When I was commuting into work, there was a hose pipe in the parking area that I used to spray the bike down with each day. It seemed to keep the bike free from the worst damage the stuff they sprayed on the road could inflict. Prevention is better than cure.