Tyres - which ones and where to buy?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle

Tyres - which ones and where to buy?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

This is a subject I ain't thought about for a long time, I've always just bought Bridgestone BT21s :D

I need some new boots for my CBR600. Its got the 'older' size of 160/60 rear and 120/60 front. I'll mostly be riding sunny days and commuting, but also plan to do some trackdays next year. I haven't been on track for 10 years though, so I'll be at the blunt end of the group for sure. :D

What's what with tyre choice these days? I have a man that can fit 'em but not supply, so I was just gonna get something online...

Recommendations?
KungFooBob

Re: Tyres - which ones and where to buy?

Post by KungFooBob »

Friend of mine swears that Oponeo are the cheap on the tinternets.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-finder

Everyone raves about Pilot Roads, but I've never used them. I don't think there's any terrible tyres these days, just get something developed in the last five years or so.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Tarmacsurfer

Post by Tarmacsurfer »

S22's. Great grip, well enough for a spirited trackday. Also good for the road.

Bob at FWR has a deal on them at the moment.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wrong size, but can't argue with the price. :D

They can do me a pair of correctly sized BT23s for <£150 though, that's also pretty hard to argue with.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've used pilot road 3s, 4s, 5s for my last few sets. Love them and they last. But they are pricey
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/

Look up discount codes for them.

I was lucky and got a bit off my Road 5GT's but depends what they have at the time.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:48 pm I've used pilot road 3s, 4s, 5s for my last few sets. Love them and they last. But they are pricey
These, they can squirm about a bit on trackdays but as an all round road Tyre they are great - really good in the wet. Had a set on the old CBR steelie that Harry's still got. Marvelous.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Any hard compound treaded race tyre.
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

G.P wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm These, they can squirm about a bit on trackdays but as an all round road Tyre they are great
I'd imagine they'd squirm on track, brilliant on the the road with bags of feel, but they are a road tyre first and foremost. I reckon they'd be alright on track just not as good as proper track/sports stuff.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I notice you can still get BT016 Pros for cheap. I got 12 track days out of a set of 016s before they went off. And worked in the damp too.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The point of trackdays would be to improve my own skills, so lower grip tyres wouldn't really be a problem. I'm more interested in learning how to recognise the limits than actually going that fast.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:56 pm The point of trackdays would be to improve my own skills, so lower grip tyres wouldn't really be a problem. I'm more interested in learning how to recognise the limits than actually going that fast.
It's when you get your elbow down...

...followed by shoulder and head.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:27 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:56 pm The point of trackdays would be to improve my own skills, so lower grip tyres wouldn't really be a problem. I'm more interested in learning how to recognise the limits than actually going that fast.
It's when you get your elbow down...

...followed by shoulder and head.
Take the corner bit slower next time around, got ya.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That's not actually realistic. Very very few riders manage to do so, they only reach the limits of their own balls. Reaching the limits of the grip of the bike and recognising that is the realm of a very small group of riders.

You'll get the usual "oh i was spinning the rear out of the corners..." but mostly that's a complete load of shit.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:22 am
That's not actually realistic. Very very few riders manage to do so, they only reach the limits of their own balls. Reaching the limits of the grip of the bike and recognising that is the realm of a very small group of riders.

You'll get the usual "oh i was spinning the rear out of the corners..." but mostly that's a complete load of shit.
That's kinda what I mean. The limiting factor is me, so sticky tyres etc. are a waste of money.

Leanr how to grow bigger balls if you wanna phrase it that way instead. Or learn how to brake harder without locking up etc.
The Spin Doctor

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:22 am

That's kinda what I mean. The limiting factor is me, so sticky tyres etc. are a waste of money.

Leanr how to grow bigger balls if you wanna phrase it that way instead. Or learn how to brake harder without locking up etc.
Serious answer then. Learn to get absolutely pin-point on your lines... learn where the entry to the corner is, then aim to nail it every single time. Ditto the exit - It's reading the line backwards from the exit (where you're on the power aimed for the next corner) that controls where you're turning-in on most bends. The apex - usually handily marked with a cone on a track day - is useful for linking them together. Once you know WHERE you are tipping into the corner, you'll know where you should be easing off the brakes... once you know that you can work on braking harder and later. Then you can work on carrying more speed and lean through the turn, and getting on the power harder and earlier.

One thing that worked for me learning the Brands Indy circuit was doing the entire lap in one gear. That way all I had to worry about was throttle and steering input. As the speed comes up, then you start to need the gears, but for learning your way round, minimise the gear shifts. It's one less thing to get wrong.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Serious answer then. Learn to get absolutely pin-point on your lines... learn where the entry to the corner is, then aim to nail it every single time. Ditto the exit - It's reading the line backwards from the exit (where you're on the power aimed for the next corner) that controls where you're turning-in on most bends. The apex - usually handily marked with a cone on a track day - is useful for linking them together. Once you know WHERE you are tipping into the corner, you'll know where you should be easing off the brakes... once you know that you can work on braking harder and later. Then you can work on carrying more speed and lean through the turn, and getting on the power harder and earlier.
Not bad for an old fart ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

See nominally I already knew that Spin...but knowing and doing are different :D

Sufficed to say I'll find some instruction if I can and ill spend my money on track time not tyres and QSs.
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:57 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Not bad for an old fart ;)
Thank you Yorick. I should have added "Yorick will correct me if I'm wrong". :D