Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:07 am Gremlinette has a very, very expensive designer bag. She went to Brighton the other day with her boyfriend, and as they sat on the beach, a seagull dive-bombed them and scored a bullseye by getting a massive runny shit right in her bag.

She was not happy. :lol:
Some of them are big buggers..... I was sitting in the car when it took a hit in Bognor the other week... the entire car rocked - I thought a suspension spring had collapsed!
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:57 am
The neighbours had a racing pigeon come in that they couldn't get rid of, apparently it had been in their gaff for 2 weeks :wtf: and they declined my offer to get rid of it :shock:
If they fed it it probably decided it quite liked the new 'loft'. :D

It should have had a ring on, if you can get the number, any local pigeon bod will be able to trace the owner. If it had a second (usually rubber) ring on it had been in a race and got fed up/lost. Sometimes the owners stamp contact details under the wing too.

Used to see them in some French seaside places trying to get scrounge enough food to recharge and tackle the Channel and get home if they'd hit bad weather and couldn't get across first go.

Pretty amazing athletes. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bloody insurers.

Post Office used to do good value Travel Insurance which included riding large cc motorcycles (if you were the owner etc). They've stopped that completely. (Probably changed the under-writer).

BAH! :angry-cussingblack:

@gremlin ,@Cousin Jack , @Beancounter - you've all been on riding holidays recently - who did you get travel insurance through?
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:35 am Bloody insurers.

Post Office used to do good value Travel Insurance which included riding large cc motorcycles (if you were the owner etc). They've stopped that completely. (Probably changed the under-writer).

@gremlin ,@Cousin Jack , @Beancounter - you've all been on riding holidays recently - who did you get travel insurance through?
I hire a bike, so it comes with insurance.

However, surely your bike policy includes so many days European cover? In which case, you only need travel insurance for the boring stuff like stolen cameras, etc.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:54 am
Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:35 am Bloody insurers.

I hire a bike, so it comes with insurance.

However, surely your bike policy includes so many days European cover? In which case, you only need travel insurance for the boring stuff like stolen cameras, etc.
The bike insurance does (I think) cover a certain period abroad - but don't think it covers things like repatriation, which you need travel insurance for, which is negated if you're riding a big bike.
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:57 am

The bike insurance does (I think) cover a certain period abroad - but don't think it covers things like repatriation, which you need travel insurance for, which is negated if you're riding a big bike.
Might be worth a call to your insurer. If you're covered in Europe and have an accident there, being 'covered' should be just that, i.e. they get you and your bike back home.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:02 am Apple store prices.

Gremlinette needed a high-speed charging plug-type thingy, as the Fairies of Disappearance have swept through Chez Gremlin once more. As we were passing, we popped in.

A three-pin charger with 2 x USB-C ports - £69.

1 x 2m USB-c to USB-C cable - £19.

:o

Even the Gremlinette, who worships at the alter of All Things Apple, snorted in derision.

Amazon sorted us out for less than a score.
Those prices are pretty much on par with other premium brands. I paid almost that yesterday for a 100W charger and a 1M cable, usually I go cheap but these things handle a lot of power and get hot so I don't want a fire risk.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:04 am usually I go cheap but these things handle a lot of power and get hot so I don't want a fire risk.
S'alright. Gremlinette will be in Manchester, so when the charger goes bang and starts a huge fire, I won't be anywhere near it. ;)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Buses - again.

I was out at Forwards fez here in sunny Bristol sat and attempted to get the 12:15am bus home from the Centre. It didn't turn up, nor did the next bus at 12:25am, nor did the 12:45am, nor did the 1:05am so i left to walk home (i actually got half way home and got an uber).

Get a fucking grip First bus. There must of been about 50 people waiting on the bus stop and the atmosphere was pretty fighty!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:05 am
Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:04 am usually I go cheap but these things handle a lot of power and get hot so I don't want a fire risk.
S'alright. Gremlinette will be in Manchester, so when the charger goes bang and starts a huge fire, I won't be anywhere near it. ;)
Shame to miss the excitement
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:28 am

Used to see them in some French seaside places trying to get scrounge enough food to recharge and tackle the Channel and get home if they'd hit bad weather and couldn't get across first go.

Can't they just get a small boat like everyone else?

In seriousness, we had one land in the garage in Wales. There was a phone number (throw a towel over the bird to catch it). Turned out to be from Ireland.
The guy actually said to wring it's neck...!!!.... we fed it and watered it for a couple of days and chucked it out before the cats got it.

It never wrote and thanked us, or even called.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Must have or must've. Never must of.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
David

Post by David »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:04 pm Must have or must've. Never must of.
Bored with...never bored of...
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Greenman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:09 am Buses - again.

I was out at Forwards fez here in sunny Bristol sat and attempted to get the 12:15am bus home from the Centre. It didn't turn up, nor did the next bus at 12:25am, nor did the 12:45am, nor did the 1:05am so i left to walk home (i actually got half way home and got an uber).

Get a fucking grip First bus. There must of been about 50 people waiting on the bus stop and the atmosphere was pretty fighty!
Don't know about Firstbus, but the shower I worked for trialled late night buses and made them a voluntary add on at the end of the driver's duty. Most drivers just didn't so them.
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:23 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:04 pm Must have or must've. Never must of.
Bored with...never bored of...
Really? That's a mute point ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:29 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:09 am Buses - again.

Don't know about Firstbus, but the shower I worked for trialled late night buses and made them a voluntary add on at the end of the driver's duty. Most drivers just didn't so them.
Nor would i if i was given that choice. Why not just pay extra for the extra shifts?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:02 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:28 am

Can't they just get a small boat like everyone else?

In seriousness, we had one land in the garage in Wales. There was a phone number (throw a towel over the bird to catch it). Turned out to be from Ireland.
The guy actually said to wring it's neck...!!!.... we fed it and watered it for a couple of days and chucked it out before the cats got it.

It never wrote and thanked us, or even called.
Yeah. That's pretty typical if the bird hasn't won them any money - they have to pay the cost of the bird being sent back and shifting livestock about is a bit :hmmm: (It used to be you'd put 'em in a suitable box with food and water, take them to a railway station and they'd travel in the guard's van to the destination where the owner collected. The guards would often feed them on the way. There's a few stories of them getting out and flapping around in the guards van). Fortunately, unlike wood pigeons, they're usually used to being handled - getting race rings on and off, dosing them, moving them around for pairing them up etc.

Quite often, when you release them on a weekend they'll latch onto a passing group that's in a race and pitch up at another loft.

It used to be the working man's equivalent of hoss racing (who's the best breeder, trainer, who has the best 'eye' for a winner etc) but, as ever, big money got involved eg the South African 'one loft' races...$2 million+ prize money... and things change...not for the better. :(

My Dad was pretty good at the breeding/training thing. One of his won the biggest UK race...the National Combine which pitted everyone that raced a particular direction (you train them to race a particular direction rather than send them off in random directions). I've got the studio photo of the bird - 'Big Red'. Dad got a half page obit in the 'pigeon papers' - bit of a legend in a smallish world. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Having to pay £422 to insure my car for a year. FFS, I'm 53 and it's a dull-as-dishwater Toyota. :roll:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:42 pm Having to pay £422 to insure my car for a year. FFS, I'm 53 and it's a dull-as-dishwater Toyota. :roll:
I only pay that for my Modified Golf GTI in one of the worst postcodes in Bristol, however, i have just got a renewal and it going up £200 to about £630.

I'm going to quiz them later today as to why!

Give them a call and tell them you have got a quote elsewhere and you are happy to pay your previous years renewal price, tis what i shall do if they cannot give me a decent enough excuse as to why it's gone up 25%.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:42 pm Having to pay £422 to insure my car for a year. FFS, I'm 53 and it's a dull-as-dishwater Toyota. :roll:
Greater risk of health-related issues now you're old. ;)
non quod, sed quomodo