Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:26 am I'm in the same boat, I have a pocket watch family heirloom that I need repairing and servicing, I sent it to one place and they returned it saying they couldn't get parts so didn't want to touch it.

I think I'm going to need to send it to someone who can make parts and that's going to be eye-watering.
I bit the bullet on this one. It's a lovely thing and, unusually, has the original leather travel case with removable panel so you can tell the time when travelling in your carriage. :D It's not a family heirloom or anything so the next owner can worry about putting the original hairspring platform back in.

ETA of the serviced/repaired clock? 3-4 months!

Have a look at these people. I assume they can make (or source) parts. You'll probably find someone closer though.

http://geoffallnuttclocks.com/about-us/#
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 am The lack of clock repair/horologist people (which means that the ones that still exist have work coming out of their ears and can charge what they like). My local one retired. Took a clock to the next nearest one some miles away - needs the spring in the chimes train fixing/replacing and I enquired about replacing the hair-spring platform with the original one*. They phoned with a quote.

Full service + new chimes spring - £600
Replace hairspring platform with original - £500

:o :shock: :o :(

It can stay chimeless.

Anyone got any children looking for a lucrative career, get 'em fixing clocks.

* Previous clock nugget didn't just replace the broken hairspring - he put a shiny new assembly in a 125+ year old carriage clock and handed me the old bits. :angry-cussingblack:
Was either of those the shop in Guildford just north of the A3 on the road out to Woking? They've been there for a long time now.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:59 am
Was either of those the shop in Guildford just north of the A3 on the road out to Woking? They've been there for a long time now.
Ooh. No. Didn't know there was one and I don't remember finding it on my googling. I'll have another go. The more options the better. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Ooh. No. Didn't know there was one and I don't remember finding it on my googling. I'll have another go. The more options the better. :thumbup:
oh, bllx.

I think it may have shut down : this was the building : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.25686 ... ?entry=ttu
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:29 pm
oh, bllx.

I think it may have shut down : this was the building : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.25686 ... ?entry=ttu
Ah, thanks. Now I think about it they may have popped up some time ago but I dismissed them based on some pretty awful reviews. Chap was a bit strange apparently. However, that seemed to go with the job. There used to be one in Bramley and I think the guy was out on the edge of the spectrum somewhere and his mum used to do the customer facing stuff. The one in Dorking went too - he communicated (if at all) in grunts and his wife did the most of the talking. Don't know what it was about the job/vocation but it either created or attracted some strange people! The Midhurst bunch seem pretty normal....so far and the clock people at West Dean College are (or were) quite jolly - dunno whether their clocks/automata department is doing much any more.
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:29 pm

oh, bllx.

Ah, thanks. Now I think about it they may have popped up some time ago but I dismissed them based on some pretty awful reviews. Chap was a bit strange apparently. However, that seemed to go with the job. There used to be one in Bramley and I think the guy was out on the edge of the spectrum somewhere and his mum used to do the customer facing stuff. The one in Dorking went too - he communicated (if at all) in grunts and his wife did the most of the talking. Don't know what it was about the job/vocation but it either created or attracted some strange people! The Midhurst bunch seem pretty normal....so far and the clock people at West Dean College are (or were) quite jolly - dunno whether their clocks/automata department is doing much any more.
I'd imagine that "being a bit odd" would go with the territory tbh.
non quod, sed quomodo
McNab

Post by McNab »

Neighbours who don't come and get their parcels.

Beard dandruff! :wtf:
Felix

Post by Felix »

UPS

Why do they make is so difficult to talk to someone. Automated message in all the bloody directions you try on the one shitty number they give. You can only use email if you log in what means making an account filling in my address trying to get username that has not been taken and password only for the fucking cunts not to answer you. Sender cant get through to them either he needs the number from the failed delivery card what never happened. Tracking was giving me failed delivery and another date for delivery will be sent soon. Two days later that changed to Delivered. Fucking Hermes would have been a better option.
Ant

Post by Ant »

McNab wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:59 pm Neighbours who don't come and get their parcels.

Beard dandruff! :wtf:
We don't take them in anymore.

A while ago the doorbell rings, ignored it as not expecting anything, so thought it's probably some cult at the door or something, rings again, ignore it bangs the door. So I open it, it's a parcel for next door.....in summery I said if next door won't answer, why bang on my door after two rings not being answered.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm more interested to know why McNab's neighbours are getting deliveries of beard dandruff.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:59 pm UPS

Why do they make is so difficult to talk to someone. Automated message in all the bloody directions you try on the one shitty number they give. You can only use email if you log in what means making an account filling in my address trying to get username that has not been taken and password only for the fucking cunts not to answer you. Sender cant get through to them either he needs the number from the failed delivery card what never happened. Tracking was giving me failed delivery and another date for delivery will be sent soon. Two days later that changed to Delivered. Fucking Hermes would have been a better option.

UPS are one of at least 3 cargo companies that won't deliver to my door. They'll collect and deliver worldwide, have a fleet of fuckin' aircraft but flatly refuse to travel the 20 kms over the hill to this village (and I guess, the other villages in this area).

Twats
McNab

Post by McNab »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:22 pm I'm more interested to know why McNab's neighbours are getting deliveries of beard dandruff.
Lol. It's two separate things :D
Ant wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:19 pm We don't take them in anymore.

A while ago the doorbell rings, ignored it as not expecting anything, so thought it's probably some cult at the door or something, rings again, ignore it bangs the door. So I open it, it's a parcel for next door.....in summery I said if next door won't answer, why bang on my door after two rings not being answered.
An update: I relented and dropped it off to the neighbour as I was going out and saw they were home. Apparently they didn't have any card to say I had it or that it had been delivered, despite me specifically asking the guy if he was gonna put a card through to say I had it and him saying yes. Same thing happened the time before too.
Ant

Post by Ant »

McNab wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:54 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:22 pm I'm more interested to know why McNab's neighbours are getting deliveries of beard dandruff.
Lol. It's two separate things :D
Ant wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:19 pm We don't take them in anymore.

An update: I relented and dropped it off to the neighbour as I was going out and saw they were home. Apparently they didn't have any card to say I had it or that it had been delivered, despite me specifically asking the guy if he was gonna put a card through to say I had it and him saying yes. Same thing happened the time before too.
That reminds me, years ago I had a parcel for weeks for a neighbour, I didn't know it wasn't for me as I was expecting lots of things, so I just took it in and put it on the pile, the delivery driver didn't even tell me that it wasn't for me....

So when I got the time to open everything, I discovered that it wasn't for me, so took it to them, they were gobsmacked as they had no idea where it was, but was in a battle with the sending company who had said as far as they're concerned, it's been delivered, just no one knew where it had been delivered to.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

People with very set religious and behavioural 'rules' who go on holiday to a place where the locals/workers do not have those rules and then proceed to behave as if the locals/workers SHOULD follow the same rules and accept the poor (to us) behaviour of the tourists.

When I went to Dubai, I took clothes that fitted in with the expectations - I didn't wear short skirts or short shorts and I wore long sleeved shirts unless I was on the beach or in the hotel complex. I even bought some long trousers in one place because my below the knee shorts were attracting looks that made me feel I was in the wrong, so I changed into some new long trousers and felt less as if I was causing offence!

Here, these people just come across as bloody rude and annoying!!

One guy did talk to me because he almost pushed me over the limit and whilst waiting to speak to my boss (because my boss is a guy and I'm not!) he did actually make the time to talk with me and try and explain the reasons behind some of the behaviour - religious and cultural.

However, whilst I do mostly understand the whys, most of them are still just bloody rude!!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:18 pm People with very set religious and behavioural 'rules' who go on holiday to a place where the locals/workers do not have those rules and then proceed to behave as if the locals/workers SHOULD follow the same rules and accept the poor (to us) behaviour of the tourists.

When I went to Dubai, I took clothes that fitted in with the expectations - I didn't wear short skirts or short shorts and I wore long sleeved shirts unless I was on the beach or in the hotel complex. I even bought some long trousers in one place because my below the knee shorts were attracting looks that made me feel I was in the wrong, so I changed into some new long trousers and felt less as if I was causing offence!

Here, these people just come across as bloody rude and annoying!!

One guy did talk to me because he almost pushed me over the limit and whilst waiting to speak to my boss (because my boss is a guy and I'm not!) he did actually make the time to talk with me and try and explain the reasons behind some of the behaviour - religious and cultural.

However, whilst I do mostly understand the whys, most of them are still just bloody rude!!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :obscene-birdiedoublered: :obscene-birdiedoublered:
One sugar in mine luv :)
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ordering an 8 quid bolt, finding it to be the wrong thread pitch, winding myself up for an argument with the seller :angry-argument: only to work out it's my own bloody fault for not reading the description :oops:
Ant

Post by Ant »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:14 am Ordering an 8 quid bolt, finding it to be the wrong thread pitch, winding myself up for an argument with the seller :angry-argument: only to work out it's my own bloody fault for not reading the description :oops:
Things like that would drive me nuts.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Ant wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:49 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:14 am Ordering an 8 quid bolt, finding it to be the wrong thread pitch, winding myself up for an argument with the seller :angry-argument: only to work out it's my own bloody fault for not reading the description :oops:
Things like that would drive me nuts.
Yeah I expect you're screwed with regards to a refund...
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Felix

Post by Felix »

Thank you for reaching out. FUCK OFF YOUR PRETENTIOUS CUNT.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

It's been slung in the draw of imperial stuff, if I ever need a 1/4" - 28 bolt I'll know where it is.

Now to wait for the 1/4" - 20 that I actually wanted to turn up.