The Triumph

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Taipan

Re: The Triumph

Post by Taipan »

Amazing job mate! As the old saying goes, someone up there likes you! ;) :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:36 pm Amazing job mate! As the old saying goes, someone up there likes you! ;) :D
Friends in (very) high places ;)
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

May be obvious, but get in to the gasket surfaces with a wire brush and get all the deposits away, so the new gaskets don't go the same as that old one.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

A_morti wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 pm May be obvious, but get in to the gasket surfaces with a wire brush and get all the deposits away, so the new gaskets don't go the same as that old one.
Yes, done that already and will do it again with a smaller brass brush I have somewhere. Just need to find it in the the disorganised mess I call the garage... wife stores all her stuff there too, so space is limited.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:05 am wife stores all her stuff there too, so space is limited.
There's your mistake with the world right there. Mrs Weeksy had a deal when we bought this house "you get the house, the garden, the outside space, everything....i get the garage" nothing passes the garage door that shouldn't do so :)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Aye well, it is no my house but belongs to the church... so the wife gets an equal share, in other words, it is all hers!
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:15 am Aye well, it is no my house but belongs to the church... so the wife gets an equal share, in other words, it is all hers!
Yeah, errrrm.... Still no

:twisted: :evil:
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:11 amnothing passes the garage door that shouldn't do so :)
Indeed, some space must remain sacred
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:22 am
the_priest wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:15 am Aye well, it is no my house but belongs to the church... so the wife gets an equal share, in other words, it is all hers!
Yeah, errrrm.... Still no

:twisted: :evil:
My one remaining space was the cupboard under the stairs where my bike kit is. Came home from a full days riding last year to find she'd moved the tumble dryer in there :angry-argument:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Radiator fan is shot. I've removed it. Radiator is in good condition, so leaving it as is. Just flushed it with clean water and hosed the fins.

Replacement is from a Sprint RS for £24 delivered. Much newer and better condition and exactly the same model number according to Triumph's part codes etc.

Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I'm not a fan of this kind of work😊
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Exhaust has been given a wipe down. not going to get it perfect with 22 years of wear and tear, but it is cleaner and will fit back nicely. I was able to paint parts of the engine case with high temp paint, so that will make a difference and slow corrosion down. Going to fit the studs with some copper slip grease in a short while I think. Then I can work towards fitting the exhaust. Tank needs to come off, so that will be a bit of fun. Need to do indicator connections properly and also run a new throttle cable in, I was lazy and rerouted the old one so it would have enough length, but is does not look that tidy... Longer one allows for a better route and will also feel better being new!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Studs and new gaskets in and exhaust back on. Easy enough to do.

Skub

Post by Skub »

the_priest wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:03 pm Studs and new gaskets in and exhaust back on. Easy enough to do.

@Trinity765 eat your heart out. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:15 pm
the_priest wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:03 pm Studs and new gaskets in and exhaust back on. Easy enough to do.

@Trinity765 eat your heart out. :thumbup:
Oh. So that's what they're supposed to look like :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Routed in the new throttle cable. That will make a difference!

the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Bike starts. Need to adjust idle a touch. Will check in TuneECU next week. Waiting on fan, then can fit radiator, fill will coolant and take for MOT.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Going to drill out the snapped bolt using easy outs that will be delivered sometime tomorrow. I can do this on Bank Holiday Monday as I am out all day tomorrow with Priestly duties. Bike to MOT on Friday if all goes smoothly with the work. I have coolant here already and might just do an oil/filter change. Fitted new O Rings to the fuel connectors. These are E10 safe as well. I tend to run the bike on E5 only though, I do such little mileage that it really does not make much difference in cost.

Going to paint the fan shroud when it arrives so it looks better and is sealed. Will also touch up the radiator as well, just to make it pretty.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

For some reason people screw studs in tightly. There's no need to do that, just screw them in by hand. They get *torqued* when you tighten the nuts. I had some big eff off ARP 1/2in studs to replace the cylinder head bolts on my Ford 460. They got hand tightened & then the nuts got three rounds of torquing to end up at something like 180ft/lb (stock was 140ft/lb).

BTW, your *new* studs & nuts look like the 24 year old ones on my ZRX11. I sure don't miss the corrosion issues that came with living in the UK compared to the Mojave Desert. (probably posted this pic before)
Looking at the headers where they mount to the engine look like rusted/wire brushed steel, but they appear to be Stainless? How did that happen?
23 year old/104,000mile Muzzy system (bike had about 8,000 miles on it when it got Muzzified):
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Stainless can still corrode, even if it doesn't rust. Particularly when it gets really hot, like the bit of header right next to the port might...