Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Rockburner »

Yes - the 'personal space' thing is a semi-valid point, and I'm much the same, but if I were to only be doing that long trip once a month, and I still have my daily 'short-distance' vehicle then I fail to see the issue.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mussels

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mussels »

A PHEV is all I'd consider at the moment as I only have one car, I don't have the time or money to consider moving my family around by public transport.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If you only do the odd long journey, maybe hire a car for the day :)
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Jebus wept, it's bad enough when the wife borrows the car to go shopping, seat moved in all axis, mirrors moved, climate set to output at just below the level of the sun, equaliser and radio settings changed, I'll be buggered if I'm putting up with he foibles of sharing a car with the great unwashed and all the dirty stinking habits they have.
Horse

Post by Horse »

According to a recent study by iSeeCars, Tesla is the most recalled car brand. In fact, the publication says the Model 3, Model Y, Model S, and Model X secure four out of the top five spots for most recalled models. Porsche also has four of the most recalled models. Brands including Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, and Toyota show up the least on the list of recalls.

iSeeCars consulted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) list of recalls from 2014 to 2023 to put together its list.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I saw an ID Buzz today, the first one I've seen. When VW make a Kombi version I might get one. 🙂
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

We are getting Leaf’s (Leaves ?) at work - I will miss our beemers .
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Pirahna wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:31 pm I saw an ID Buzz today, the first one I've seen. When VW make a Kombi version I might get one. 🙂
Iirc they already have prototypes running.
non quod, sed quomodo
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:55 pm
Pirahna wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:31 pm I saw an ID Buzz today, the first one I've seen. When VW make a Kombi version I might get one. 🙂
Iirc they already have prototypes running.
I did wonder. A short wheelbase Kombi is my ideal vehicle, that's probably why I own a T6 version.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/elec ... 43579.html

A battery startup is aiming to be the first company in the world to mass produce electric vehicle batteries with a range of 1,000km – roughly double the current standard.

China-based Gotion High Tech, which is a supplier to Volkswagen, unveiled its new L600 LMFP Astroinno battery at its annual technology conference, claiming that mass production will begin in 2024.

The lithium-manganese-iron-phosphate (LMFP) battery has already passed all necessary safety tests, the company said, and has a life cycle of 4,000 charge-discharge cycles – making it suitable for everyday electric cars.

The 1,000km range from a single charge gives the battery a potential lifetime range of 4 million kilometres, far exceeding the average lifespan of a car.

Until now, LMFP materials have suffered low conductivity, low compaction density and manganese dissolution at high temperatures, meaning they were too inefficient and unwieldy to use in EVs.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Tesla switched to LFP batteries a couple of years ago.

I can only assume adding an "M" makes them even more betterer!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

There's usually a trade-off with changing battery tech. Improving one aspect such as capacity would adversely affect another, size, weight, charging rate, lifespan etc.
They claim to have found the sweet spot for EVs but there are many claims of battery breakthroughs that fizzle out and I'm not expecting this to be any different.
When there really is a breakthrough I think it will take most people by surprise and we'll be asking why they didn't think of that before as it's so obvious.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Everyone's always waiting for a break through, but things seldom change through break through right? It's gradual change which just slips by. Applies to all fields really.

I also doubt there's any fundamentally new battery tech waiting. Its the same with motors. Its all 100 year old ideas...even our cutting edge motor, which we're pretty unique in making, was thought of a century ago.

The challenges all seem to be in realising the ideas.

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

cheb

Post by cheb »

If by new you mean new and unused then no. If new to me then yes.

£1K has bought me a Renault Zoe. Cheap as it's been written off and can't go back on the road, and it's as much as I'm prepared to risk paying for the battery. My plan is to use it as a battery bank fed by a small windturbine and possibly solar panels.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Double's up as a chicken coup.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:41 am Everyone's always waiting for a break through, but things seldom change through break through right? It's gradual change which just slips by. Applies to all fields really.

I also doubt there's any fundamentally new battery tech waiting. Its the same with motors. Its all 100 year old ideas...even our cutting edge motor, which we're pretty unique in making, was thought of a century ago.

The challenges all seem to be in realising the ideas.

'Volume-weighted'
I don't know exactly what that means but I bought my first big lithium battery in 2010 and replacements cost £450, I just looked and those replacements now cost £300 from the same company. The price has dropped a bit but nothing like that graphic shows, I suspect the market has changed more than production costs, because they are producing a lot more big batteries with a better cost/weight ratio it is skewing the result.

I think the breakthrough will be in usage rather than tech, they will discover a better way to employ existing underused tech.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just means the price is normalised by how big the battery is, big ones are of course more expensive than little ones 'cause there's more in 'em. Generally though they're in a reasonably small window of sizes so dividing total cost by overall battery size gives a reasonable indication.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

So they (may) have fixed the range. Now it is just the charging time and the infrastructure to fix. By the time I make 100 an EV will be a viable option.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!