Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Pirahna

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Pirahna »

It's a shame Toyota aren't bringing the 2023 Prius to the UK, it's a nice looking car.

Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Which hybrid wears those headlights better?

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

nvm
Last edited by MrLongbeard on Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:51 am Which hybrid wears those headlights better?
I tend to look at what car will be best on the dirt track up to my house.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Spawn would have preferred a combi van but they are rare and a bit rubbish for rural life. They seem to have a short range, ideal for cities but not much use for longer trips.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:46 am It's a shame Toyota aren't bringing the 2023 Prius to the UK, it's a nice looking car.

That's the first Prius I've seen that i genuinely like (looks wise). Early 2000s models are dog ugly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Daughter has recently bought (well, leased through work) a new electric car (VW id5). It’s been great for her normal commute, but tonight she’s driving to Cornwall from Swansea with 2 small kids. It won’t do the distance without stopping for a charge. I’ll let you know how it goes, in case you’re interested….
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wossname wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:42 am Daughter has recently bought (well, leased through work) a new electric car (VW id5). It’s been great for her normal commute, but tonight she’s driving to Cornwall from Swansea with 2 small kids. It won’t do the distance without stopping for a charge. I’ll let you know how it goes, in case you’re interested….
I've heard these stories a bit too often to have any confidence in the UK's charging network. Similar story of somebody I know with a Polestar heading up to Derby. The car told him where to stop to find a charging point at the most efficient place along the way, only when he got there he was greeted by a cordoned off bit garage and a disinterested attendant informing his they were being replaced for newer ones, and no, he didn't know where to find any others in the local area.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:27 am He does the "Uni Run" in his EV in all cases, never once been caught short.
Give it a couple of years and his prostate will put paid to that boast. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:06 pm Image
yeah - and petrol stored in garages never catches light......
non quod, sed quomodo
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Only 'destination chargers' I've seen in a while, 10 chargers, 1 working

ImagePXL_20230211_140932048 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
Scud

Post by Scud »

I had my first experience/non-experience of electric car a few weeks back.
We were going to Twickenham and my mate was going to drive us to Cockfosters, he has an electric Seat, the distance was 120 miles each way, the car will do 210 miles at best to a full charge. With only one charger available at Cockfosters we took my Navara, luckily we did as the one charger in the massive car park was already being used.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If they'd of consentrated on home charging only, short journeys etc, it would of made more sense. Trying to get EVs up and down the country ain't necessary. Short journey car's make up a big % of car's on the road, cleaner benifits had.

Something better will be along in the next decade or so for longer journeys I'm sure. 🚙
Yamaha rocket 3
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Dodgy69 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:59 am If they'd of consentrated on home charging only, short journeys etc, it would of made more sense. Trying to get EVs up and down the country ain't necessary. Short journey car's make up a big % of car's on the road, cleaner benifits had.

Something better will be along in the next decade or so for longer journeys I'm sure. 🚙
But then everyone would need two cars ….
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:34 am
Dodgy69 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:59 am If they'd of consentrated on home charging only, short journeys etc, it would of made more sense. Trying to get EVs up and down the country ain't necessary. Short journey car's make up a big % of car's on the road, cleaner benifits had.

Or, a single car for local stuff, and a subsidised membership of a car hire company, or a car-sharing club.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:24 am
Or, a single car for local stuff, and a subsidised membership of a car hire company, or a car-sharing club.
Or a hybrid with enough battery range for the majority of the user's needs?

Reduces the requirement for expensive batteries and eliminates range anxiety and the requirement for massive [working] public charging facilities.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:24 am Or, a single car for local stuff, and a subsidised membership of a car hire company, or a car-sharing club.
Great in theory - in practice it wouldn't work. If it did, it would be in place now.

Cars are personal things - people like their own. That box is too late to close*.

* I appreciate that in places like that there London it's a more practical proposation, but in the civilised parts of the country where you can actualy drive from A to B quickly and efficiently, prying people from car ownership would be like pulling teeth.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:24 am

Maybe they could make the shared cars use steel wheels running on steel roads, they'd be way more efficient then!

As ya man says though, getting people out of their 'personal vehicle' will be a bit of an ask.