What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:31 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 pm Crossed from Portsmouth to Caen on the overnight ferry, and my - was it blustery, or what. Car alarms on the boat deck were going off all night long, and no less than 13 motorbikes toppled over during the night.
Shit. I've been loads of ferries. I always double check the ties.
Quite right too. Too many oiks with open collars being allowed up from steerage these days, what what! :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 pm Crossed from Portsmouth to Caen on the overnight ferry, and my - was it blustery, or what. Car alarms on the boat deck were going off all night long, and no less than 13 motorbikes toppled over during the night.
Not sure who’s liable in that case. Liverpool to Belfast is the one I’m most familiar with. They supply ratchet straps and foam pads, but the rider straps it down. I suppose it’s my fault then if it falls over, and it’s my fault if it falls on another bike. If they did the strapping it would be their responsibility?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:09 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:24 pm Crossed from Portsmouth to Caen on the overnight ferry, and my - was it blustery, or what. Car alarms on the boat deck were going off all night long, and no less than 13 motorbikes toppled over during the night. I was woken more than once by the pitching, yawing and sound of the propellers out of water.

But the big plus of the day was getting a French pet passport for Wilko, our cat. A €79 one-off payment for the PP and a rabies jab vs. £130 a pop each time we travel with him for an Animal Health Certificate - no contest really.

Now chillin' in a Clermont Ferrand B&B Hotel room, ready for a good night's sleep and an early(ish) start in the morning.
Wilco will eat your faces while you sleep,for the needlez violationz. :(
Now does this look like the cute little puddy tat that would do something like that?

DSC_5718.JPG
DSC_5718.JPG (450.53 KiB) Viewed 477 times

The wounds will heal, and I've been told there will be no long term disfigurement...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:31 pm
Shit. I've been loads of ferries. I always double check the ties.
These bikes were secured/tied down by Brittany Ferries, so I'm guessing the liability is with them. Still doesn't help much if your bike is rendered inoperative at the start of a touring holiday...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:09 am
Not sure who’s liable in that case. Liverpool to Belfast is the one I’m most familiar with. They supply ratchet straps and foam pads, but the rider straps it down. I suppose it’s my fault then if it falls over, and it’s my fault if it falls on another bike. If they did the strapping it would be their responsibility?
Like I said to Yorick, Brittany Ferries do the strapping down, so the liability is on them. Not sure if that covers consequential damage (i.e. not being able to take pre-planned hoilday due to bike damage cause by BF).
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

What can we do today the missus said?

Decided on a trip down to Newcastle as I’d heard there was an archery shop there which is a bit nearer than the one I usually use at County Durham. Not that I needed anything but when has that been necessary?

Anyway, although it was okay it hadn’t nearly as much stock so nothing brought.

On the bad news side I phoned the bike dealer up to see the status of my new bike and it won’t be in till next Friday which is a bugger as I’ve got a weekend away with my mates leaving Friday morning. So I can get there and back but can’t really do much more as it’ll put the mileage up.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Started working on the Rockster, swapping the slave cylinder.

Took an hour or so to get the old one out. Discovered that a couple of threads in the gearbox cases have stripped, but was oddly sanguine about it. Probably because I'm still half way through the job so it's not that I've found them just as I'm finishing the job.

Ordered another helicoil set from Tracy tools, should be an easy fix.
Hopefully they'll turn up before next weekend.
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Went to look at poppies & rattlesnakes.

Seriously underestimated some Carolina Reaper Wild Boar jerky...
Felix

Post by Felix »

Scotsrich wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Decided on a trip down to Newcastle as I’d heard there was an archery shop there which is a bit nearer than the one I usually use at County Durham. Not that I needed anything but when has that been necessary?

Did you ever use the archery place at Fenton Barns when it was open? Think it was more a archery school for Noobs. My mates partners dad used to own that place. Burns was his surname. Think its a nursery now
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Felix wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:49 am
Scotsrich wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Did you ever use the archery place at Fenton Barns when it was open? Think it was more a archery school for Noobs. My mates partners dad used to own that place. Burns was his surname. Think its a nursery now

Never used it.

Like you said I think it was just a turn up and have a go kind of place.

Did you know there’s a field archery course at Dirleton? If you’re coming out of NB and go past the last entrance into Dirleton on the right hand side you’ll see some targets. I’ve shot there before.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Arrived at the ancestral pile in France yesterday afternoon and started unloading the van - always a ball-ache. Last thing to come off was the Duke 690; unloaded a few minutes ago. Weather is sunny and breezy, in marked contrast to some of the conditions on the way down. Rainy and cold for a large part of the way, except for when traversing the Massif Central, when the rain turned to sleet. Mind you, at the highest point of the route you are 1120m (3674 feet) above sea level, so that does have an effect.

Now to start working my way through the 'to do' list - what fun...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today mainly been whale watching 🐋

Mate took us a few miles out on his big jetski thingy to where the whales are usually seen. Saw 6 or 7 :)

On way back we came across a giant turtle about 10' from us. Too late getting the camera out :(
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:57 pm Today mainly been whale watching 🐋

Mate took us a few miles out on his big jetski thingy to where the whales are usually seen. Saw 6 or 7 :)

On way back we came across a giant turtle about 10' from us. Too late getting the camera out :(
20230415_133015.jpg
20230415_133015.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 360 times
wull

Post by wull »

Work this morning followed by a few holes just to keep sharp.

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Fitted some throttle spacers to the Speed Twin in an attempt to make it smoother as slow speeds and then went for a test run to Charlie's Farm Shop to buy some raw milk. The spacers have helped but not totally resolved the problem - it's a bit jerky at low revs - fuelling? The milk is lovely :D
Lockdown refugee
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Sat in an aeroplane or two...
Attachments
FB_IMG_1681575520613.jpg
FB_IMG_1681575520613.jpg (197.15 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ant

Post by Ant »

I love that smell of an old aircraft, awesome stuff.
wull

Post by wull »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:16 pm Fitted some throttle spacers to the Speed Twin in an attempt to make it smoother as slow speeds and then went for a test run to Charlie's Farm Shop to buy some raw milk. The spacers have helped but not totally resolved the problem - it's a bit jerky at low revs - fuelling? The milk is lovely :D
More than likely, if you’ve adjusted the throttle cables and tried them at various adjustments and it’s still jerky then check fuelling, see if it can be smoothed out.

Another thing to consider is how you are whilst getting back on the throttle, that can make a huge difference.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Golden Jubilee of Newark Air Museum opening this weekend. They've got loads of stuff open so you can go in them, few ex-Vulcan pilots knocking around telling stories and giving tours, my Nephew now knows what pretty much every button and switch in an F4 cockpit does and we know where the secret hatch it in a Wessex that allows you to piss on IRA members when you fly over.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

wull wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:21 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:16 pm Fitted some throttle spacers to the Speed Twin in an attempt to make it smoother as slow speeds and then went for a test run to Charlie's Farm Shop to buy some raw milk. The spacers have helped but not totally resolved the problem - it's a bit jerky at low revs - fuelling? The milk is lovely :D
More than likely, if you’ve adjusted the throttle cables and tried them at various adjustments and it’s still jerky then check fuelling, see if it can be smoothed out.

Another thing to consider is how you are whilst getting back on the throttle, that can make a huge difference.
I don't know what you mean about "getting back on the throttle"? It's ok when I'm more aggressive, dodgy when I'm going downhill slowly or pulling away slowly - I'm using the back break to keep it smooth.
Lockdown refugee