What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Today, very little so far! Well, coffee with a mate this morning - he arrived from Australia on Saturday and due to work over the weekend I managed to see him for a sum total of 25 minutes before today!! And a plan for dinner our with said mate and another tonight :D

By the return trip to GVA yesterday I was losing my sense of humour (tired and emotional is not ideal in a driver!!). Luckily that journey was empty and I managed to find time to stop at a serviced to grab a sandwich and what turned out to be the wrong chocolate :(

My boss arrived at GVA at the same time as me and his passengers had cleared and were waiting. So he was kind and let me take them whilst he waited for my ones. He made a comment about the hours I'd worked and thanked me and I replied with "I am not starting before midday tomorrow!!!" - his response was fab, he didn't want me in today so I have an unexpected day off to repink my hair :bblonde: , do the washing up that I've ignored for three days (it's not like I've actually eaten properly here for a while as I was ill Thursday night into Friday and worked solidly the weekend!! But weirdly still had a sink of stuff to wash up!).

I was getting peeved TBH about the hours (not quitting peeved, just tired and emotional peeved) as I'd done three 'normal' days in the office, so about 27 hours of a 39 hour week and I'm always over the 39 hours; and then two days of full on driving which took me way over. I was organising my thoughts to have a 'serious talk' with the boss once I was no longer tired and emotional. Thing is the drivers do do this kind of weekend often. But they then only have to do one day or a half day in the week to top up to 35 hours. I almost did a full weeks hours in two days :o :o :o (we count the breaks in the hours as they are paid!! - although I was lacking in a break of a decent length of time this weekend!!). So I was organising to have that conversation, probably tomorrow.

He totally took the wind out of my sails with the day off and then I got home (we got back to resort at a similar time - he was driving a car not a minibus and very much drover faster than me!! LOL) to a text from him thanking me for the work ethic, dedication and telling me he appreciates me as an important member of his team :o :o :wub: I do know that the translation of this kind of message isn't as strong as how it would read to a French, so I do really appreciate the time he takes to tell me I'm doing ok and he values me as a member of staff. It's not very French!!

He does work a lot more hours than I do, but, as I've said to him, it's his business!! He does know I will work as much as is needed - just sometimes I'm too knackered to deal with it!! LOL And this weekend was just lots and lots of untalkative passengers - kind of a hell in a minibus, loads of people and no chat!! LOL

Tonight I'm off out for dinner with my Aussie mate and a French mate. Sadly the other friend I invited has to go meet his girlfriend when he finishes work ( :( :( I figured he would have one, but :( ) so it's just us three :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Pissed in the bin, which is annoying.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Seeing as it's the first official week of my retirement,(I was using up my holiday allowance until this week),I took a stroll to the local town & called in the bookshop,I bought this

Just waiting for the weather to warm up now :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bustaspoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:22 pm Seeing as it's the first official week of my retirement,(I was using up my holiday allowance until this week),I took a stroll to the local town & called in the bookshop,I bought this

Just waiting for the weather to warm up now :D
Does it recommend that you go everywhere with a full film crew & a truck full of spare parts?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Turned 60! :shock: :wtf:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:10 pm Turned 60! :shock: :wtf:
You don't look a day over it! Happy Birthday you venomous snake you! :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:16 pm Pissed in the bin, which is annoying.
Did you miss the wardrobe?? :mrgreen:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Birthday happies old chap :D :D :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:20 pm
You don't look a day over it! Happy Birthday you venomous snake you! :D
In my prime me! :? :lol:

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:24 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:16 pm Pissed in the bin, which is annoying.
Did you miss the wardrobe?? :mrgreen:
Thankfully them days are long over, much to the relief of the wife, now instead of the overconsumption of youth it's another step on the downward slope of getting older.

Still the NHS have said they'll see me sometime this year.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Took the birthday girl out to a beautiful new lido, just opened in Arrecife Bay
20230306_153257.jpg
20230306_153257.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 216 times
20230306_153008.jpg
20230306_153008.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 216 times
IMG-20230306-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20230306-WA0011.jpg (159.46 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

Since I can't get out,I searched and destroyed any durty bitz.

I'm getting as bad as @weeksy :(

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Watched a live stream video of Foal getting his head shaved. He'd set a short deadline to achieve an unlikely target of £1000 in donations for earthquake relief.

£1300 ... Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:26 pm Watched a live stream video of Foal getting his head shaved. He'd set a short deadline to achieve an unlikely target of £1000 in donations for earthquake relief.

£1300 ... Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
I do that every couple of days and no bugger gives me money. :cry:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Raised $5 by doing something I was gonna do anyway

Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:42 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:26 pm Watched a live stream video of Foal getting his head shaved. He'd set a short deadline to achieve an unlikely target of £1000 in donations for earthquake relief.

£1300 ... Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
I do that every couple of days and no bugger gives me money. :cry:
Set up a 'Just Giving' page, you never know ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Had a rather impressive post, then my computer sneezed & it vaporized, so you'll have to guess.. but it involved driving, titties, health insurance, pies, cake, Japanese supermarket & a visit to this place:

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/l ... es-metal#1

Managed to get out the door with two metal spheres & 2 small stainless wire brushes for TiggeryPokery
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to the other side of Grenoble for 8:15 to do a first aid course. The 8 hour/one day jobbie by the Red Cross (sorry, Croix Rouge!). Another ridiculous day as its a bit over 2 hour each way :roll:. Was supposed to go with a colleague, but due to work, she couldn't come. They'd booked her an hotel room as she was taking a 19 seater to then go on to Lyon. When she couldn't go, she suggested I go out last night and take the room. Sadly, after the weekend and then a mad day yesterday I had to say I really wasn't up to driving out there last night :( :( But, I did get there safe and on time this morning!! :lol:

No way on this earth would this have been a positive day if I hadn't done a ridiculous amount of first aid training in the uk (first aid at work, First Responder training, TT marshal training!).

The instructor spoke soooooo fast some of the others were struggling - and I was the only non French :lol: But due to previous courses, I had a fair idea of what she was saying/meaning even if I didn't understand all the words!!!

Luckily, one of the others spoke amazing English. A real bonus when I had to do the practical bit as I do so freak out when having to do role play in front of an audience :roll: - and as soon as I get nervous/wound up etc, my level of French reduces a LOT :(

Anyway, I have a certificate that I've done the day and a book I won't understand for another year or so. Gotta wait for the official stuff to say I've done a First Aid course, and then I can go do my Taxi Driver course (in October!) :D :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

In contrast, First Aid at Work here is basically now a case of turning up and now mater how incompetent you are, you pass. I suppose their logic is that it's best to have lots of people who know how to do something, no matter how cack-handedly, as opposed to fewer people who never learnt anything.

A far cry from when I first passed, back in the Victorian age, or so it feels, when you had the dreaded practical in front of a stern looking retired doctor or some such at the end of every requalification. :o
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:14 am In contrast, First Aid at Work here is basically now a case of turning up and now mater how incompetent you are, you pass. I suppose their logic is that it's best to have lots of people who know how to do something, no matter how cack-handedly, as opposed to fewer people who never learnt anything.

A far cry from when I first passed, back in the Victorian age, or so it feels, when you had the dreaded practical in front of a stern looking retired doctor or some such at the end of every requalification. :o
TBF, it was like the current FAAW here - no way should someone that couldn't communicate have passed and there was at least one other that shouldn't have passed - based on those role play 'tests'. But I'm kinda glad that they passed me :D I know I can do it, just not in front of a classroom audience!! LOL

She did say that there are very very few French that even have basic knowledge of first aid and so if people just remember a bit, I think they are happy!