What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

Took the ZX11 out this morning, Dropped by the venue to pick up free tickets for tonights gig, went back down the hill for the gig, it was The Gilmour Project, not W1P.

W1P are probably the finest Floyd tribute band on the planet... TGP are the absolute fucking worst. They were supposed to be doing DSOTM, but apparently have been learning from a rare version that no one else has ever heard. Couple that with the fact that not one member of the 5 piece band could sing a fucking note & I was ready to leave by the time they got to the "Leave but don't leave me" line in Breathe. They would have to up their game by 500% just to be classified as fucking dire.
There was a 10 minute drum solo at one point, which included the keyboard player joining in towards the end that only made matters worse.
In the middle of the DSOTM set they decided to include a track from Animals.
One guitarist frequently missed the strings, the keyboard player couldn't play the right notes if his life depended on it, two of the guys who were singing didn't know the lyrics (how the actual fuck is that possible??) It was absolute torture.
A mass shooting would have probably improved matters.
As soon as a we finished our drinks we were out the door, as were a good number of the other punters.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

But apart from that it was great, yeah?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Quote a quote through from a local bathroom fitter/plumber to refurb the family bathroom and Gremlinette's en suite.

For the en suite, we're talking a new shower tray and surround, new basin and vanity unit and a new toilet. Remove all existing, inc. existing. We would supply the tiles, which they would do, but not inc. flooring or decorating.

The family bathroom, new bath, toilet, basin/taps and vanity. Remove existing tiles, but we supply new. No decorating or flooring inc.

Bear in mind all existing soil pipes, hot and cold feeds are where they need to be, ditto electrics.

Take a guess at the price for both. Go on, I dare ya. I double-dare ya. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:38 pm Quote a quote through from a local bathroom fitter/plumber to refurb the family bathroom and Gremlinette's en suite.

For the en suite, we're talking a new shower tray and surround, new basin and vanity unit and a new toilet. Remove all existing, inc. existing. We would supply the tiles, which they would do, but not inc. flooring or decorating.

The family bathroom, new bath, toilet, basin/taps and vanity. Remove existing tiles, but we supply new. No decorating or flooring inc.

Bear in mind all existing soil pipes, hot and cold feeds are where they need to be, ditto electrics.

20k at a guess....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

About 2000€ over here ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:42 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:38 pm Quote a quote through from a local bathroom fitter/plumber to refurb the family bathroom and Gremlinette's en suite.

20k at a guess....
Not a bad guess. C. £28k inc. VAT.

Although in fairness, he was the only bloke we had round who actually bothered to come back with a quote. Most just disappear into the ether.

Needless to say, we've decided to do it ourselves.
wull

Post by wull »

Fookin ell
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had very similar done in a place 15+ years ago (bathroom with bath, bog, bidet + sink and guest shower room with shower, sink and bog. The price included gutting the rooms, (floor to ceiling) wall and floor tiles, mirrors, over sink lighting and some storage etc etc. I was a bit :wtf: at £16k then but realised it wasn't a bad quote at all. So I'd have guessed double that less some materials given your location and given the time difference.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've been trying to get quotes for both thermal and PV solar - most places can't even be arsed quoting at the moment and those that do price stupidly so as to not get the work!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:00 pm
Not a bad guess. C. £28k inc. VAT.

Although in fairness, he was the only bloke we had round who actually bothered to come back with a quote. Most just disappear into the ether.

Needless to say, we've decided to do it ourselves.
I had toilet, basin and shower replaced. Old system boiler replaced with a combi relocated to the garage, heating & hot water changed to pressurised at the same time. The shower was converted from electric to digital (combi hot water).
Tiling isn't done yet but we've had a quote of £300 for labour.
Whole lot cost about 6k including the cost of fittings I bought to make sure I got what I wanted.
I think he's added a fair bit of overhead on your quote.
Removing old tiles was refused by the two tilers I spoke to, it's a tedious job but only a days work.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We paid 15k to have a main bathroom and an en suite done. Completely back to the structure of the room, floors up, pipes moved etc. Floor to cieling tiling, all new fixtures. Also got a new bog fitted downstairs at the same time FOC "since I'm already here".

Only advice I can give is go to an old school local independent.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:43 pm
You reckon? :lol:

I also suspect that tradesmen add what I call the 'Locksbottom tax'. They pull up, see a big house and slap 20% on the usual quote. Add in the recent rocketing cost of parts and the scarcity of skilled trades people and you can see why that quote has come in looking like a the GDP of a small African country.

Much as I don't wan to, I'll just have to take some time off and get my hands dirty. Mrs. G is capable and willing pair of hands when it comes to DIY, and we can limit our arguments to around three day. 8-)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:51 pm
Mussels wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:43 pm
You reckon? :lol:

I also suspect that tradesmen add what I call the 'Locksbottom tax'. They pull up, see a big house and slap 20% on the usual quote. Add in the recent rocketing cost of parts and the scarcity of skilled trades people and you can see why that quote has come in looking like a the GDP of a small African country.

Much as I don't wan to, I'll just have to take some time off and get my hands dirty. Mrs. G is capable and willing pair of hands when it comes to DIY, and we can limit our arguments to around three day. 8-)
Out of interest, what £ were you expecting/would you have been happy with?
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I just paid a chippy (a good one) to fit 13 new internal doors.

It took him a full day and a half, he charged £480... Cash, cos it's tax free!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:13 pm

Out of interest, what £ were you expecting/would you have been happy with?
I had a figure in mind, having done a very 'back of a fag packet' estimate of shower tray, enclosure, basins, taps, etc. plus my guesstimate of time of c. £12 -£15k. Probably a bit naive in the circumstances, given that I've spoken to other plumbers who flatly declined to quote on the basis that they have enough work in their books for the rest of the year. Supply and demand, innit? Bring back the Polish plumbers.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

On the :shock: cost front. Just booked a car in for service. One of the add-ons they kindly offer is a 'full valet service'. £150!

(I normally pay £25 per car....he comes to the house and does the job. That's inside and out, carpets/rubber mats out, boot emptied and cleaned, all the glass inside and out etc. He doesn't open the bonnet/steam clean the engine. So what do the dealers do for the extra £125? :hmmm: ).
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Wossname wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 am But apart from that it was great, yeah?
"Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Just had our bathroom done. Demolish brick built cupboard. New ceiling with downlighters and extractor fan, new floor and subfloor for new floor tiles and matching wall tiles. All new pipes (he wont use existing). New bath, shower enclosure with thermostatic shower, vanity unit and new sink and toilet. Heated towel rail. A complete make over. Not sure of final price but around £10.5k. He's a mate of mine though so got us some discounts and labour was cheaper than he'd normally charge.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:39 pm Just had our bathroom done. Demolish brick built cupboard. New ceiling with downlighters and extractor fan, new floor and subfloor for new floor tiles and matching wall tiles. All new pipes (he wont use existing). New bath, shower enclosure with thermostatic shower, vanity unit and new sink and toilet. Heated towel rail. A complete make over. Not sure of final price but around £10.5k. He's a mate of mine though so got us some discounts and labour was cheaper than he'd normally charge.
Needs pics.

With clothes on!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:42 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:39 pm Just had our bathroom done. Demolish brick built cupboard. New ceiling with downlighters and extractor fan, new floor and subfloor for new floor tiles and matching wall tiles. All new pipes (he wont use existing). New bath, shower enclosure with thermostatic shower, vanity unit and new sink and toilet. Heated towel rail. A complete make over. Not sure of final price but around £10.5k. He's a mate of mine though so got us some discounts and labour was cheaper than he'd normally charge.
Needs pics.

With clothes on!
Here you go…