What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:28 am WTF it's not actually possible to have too much cake.... EVER !
Lol, I'm not a sweet tooth person, more savory. Which is very weird as my Mum and Nan were great bakers and we always had tins of cakes growing up. I rarely ate them back then either, but my Mates did lol!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:07 pm
Why are these things always bloody cakes? :thumbdown: Why not breads or pies! :think: :hmmm:
As chalet hosts, we were always told to take cake to the ski shop to get a cheap/free ski service. I did find out part way through the first season that they bloody loved it when someone came in with a savoury treat instead - I made a lot of quiche type stuff to give away that season!! :lol:

Weirdly, I bloody love baking cake, but I am not particularly keen on eating it - my friends up here love when I bake - cos I give it away :D :D :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Today I ventured forth. De-iced the car, drove through slush and ice for an hour and went 'Ooh!' at the flooding. Had a nice lunch, toured an art gallery exhibition then bought some books, 3 rather nice warm check shirts*, 2 pairs nice warm cashmere socks and a belt, some posh shaving gel...and a can opener. :D

Drove home and resisted totting up how much we'd spent. :lol:

Oh...and hit my steps target for the 120th day. :banana-dance:

* probably have to get a café racer now. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

I had to climb into the tailgate of the wifes car as the doors were frozen shut. Discovered i am not as young and agile as i used to be :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just had a chat with my goddaughter :) Date in the diary for her wedding - I WILL take a weekend off in the winter for it!! (Next winter!!)

I'm so happy, excited for her and a bit emotional. I was having my fingers squished in a big way by her mum when Rose was born, so to be able to go to her wedding is blooming fabulous! :D :D :wub: :wub: :wub:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Severe clear & dry here, so got up on the roof for a look at the damage. Insurance bloke yesterday mention a failed tar repair & hole right at the top pf the valley up-slope from the first ridge tile. What he didn't mention was a tile that was cracked all the way across resulting in a 1/4 gap.
The metal flashing under the valley is full of small bits of broken tile which has trapped dirt causing water to flow off the flashing onto the roof felt stuff.
I can fix the crack & the hole with the Henry's goop & could drag the hose up there to blast the dirt out of the valley... which *should* fix all the issues. Awaiting a decision....
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Just clearing all sorts of nasties from my laptop!

Made mistake of putting someone's memory stick in it at work yesterday, todays it's riddled with the lurgy :flame:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I had a very unspectacular 'fall' yesterday - on slush whilst walking back to work :( :( Probably quite entertaining cos I felt my foot slip the actual fall was punctuated with "Shit - NO - FUCK - OWWW - bollocks" :lol: :lol:

Sadly, it was on full-on slush, so having (luckily) slowly landed with my left leg 'under' me briefly and then turned to get my weight off the 'folded' knee, ended up sitting in the slush :roll: roll: Didn't have time to go home and change so found a mat to put on my chair and sat in soggy jeans till I finished and could go home to change before physio!!

Yesterday I thought I'd got away with the fall - the physio was very strongly worded about the fact that a fall like that won't damage the bone with the plate (I was actually more worried about the ligaments from that type of fall!!) - he did also point out that I do the far more dangerous thing of skiing!! (I don't ski much and never, this year, when it's busy or bad conditions - boring really!)

Anyway - poor vis this morning; my mate that's on holiday has an apartment with a bath, so whilst she had her lesson, I treated myself to a hot bath :D

But, even that didn't help so I'm now limping slightly on the knee form the fall and struggling to bend cos my back is having a spazz moment :( (not even sure why my back is grumpy!!)

So, I'm peeved cos I really do feel about 312 at the mo!! And we're heading to Les Arcs tomorrow for a days skiing!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But - It's still snowing :D :D Which is freaking awesome!!! Soooo much snow :D Hopefully a clear day tomorrow or I'll not be going to Les Arcs!! LOL

I LOVE SNOW :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Paid my self assessment bill :thumbdown:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Found out how much the Gremlinette's Child Trust Fund is worth. £2,144.

I recall a gurning minister on telly when they introduced them proclaiming that it would be enough to pay for a child's university education when it matured.

Let's see...uni fees are £9,250 pa, multiply by three equals £27,750....so just twenty five and 'arf grand short. Winner! :thumbup:

I'll tell her not to jack in that part-time job at Halfords just yet...
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Had two long walks with the dog today. Three online meetings and a nice dinner with the wife and just a bit of wine to go with that! Will be heading to clean church hall with the daughter in a bit and then turn in for a nice long snooze. All in all a good day and I managed to get a bit of writing done on the assignment that does not look like a load of waffle!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:08 pm Found out how much the Gremlinette's Child Trust Fund is worth. £2,144.

I recall a gurning minister on telly when they introduced them proclaiming that it would be enough to pay for a child's university education when it matured.

Let's see...uni fees are £9,250 pa, multiply by three equals £27,750....so just twenty five and 'arf grand short. Winner! :thumbup:

I'll tell her not to jack in that part-time job at Halfords just yet...
My daughter asked about hers recently, I haven't got the foggiest idea where it is. I wasn't expecting it to be worth that much, did you add anything to it?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Logged on early as missus wants tickets for Madonna gig in Oct, 67000 in queue in front of me - I'd say our chances are slim! :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:14 am Logged on early as missus wants tickets for Madonna gig in Oct, 67000 in queue in front of me - I'd say our chances are slim! :D
Will Madonna last that long ? She must be fucking pushing on 70 now ?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:23 am
v8-powered wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:14 am Logged on early as missus wants tickets for Madonna gig in Oct, 67000 in queue in front of me - I'd say our chances are slim! :D
Will Madonna last that long ? She must be fucking pushing on 70 now ?
Reckon you are right! Bloody ancient.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went skiing. First full day sine a year and a day ago!!! (well, pretty sure it's that long cos I went with the same people :))

FUCKING HELL it was COLD!!!!

I mean yes, it's generally below freezing here and we are used to it. But I think today is the first day it's been properly below freezing all day and, it was 'just' below freezing - minus 19 :shock: :shock: Fcking minus NINETEEN :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So not only am I not fit enough for a whole days skiing, I'm REALLY not aclimatised to -19 :lol: :lol: :lol: Worse, the friend that 'navigated' (very loose description!) initially really didn't know Les Arcs very well so we dicked around a lot in the shade whilst trying to get to the sunny side :roll: !! And, cos of the dicking around finding the route, there was a lot of stopping which meant a lot of pushing along with poles :cry: :cry: Not ideal in the cold for a metal shoulder!!

I'd decided to ski home and leave her to meet the other friend we skied with alone, but at the top of that chair, we had to ski down in the sun - so I stayed out. Worth it for the little bit of sunny skiing we did :D :D But bloody hell I'm cold! Still!! Been home and hour and a half and still not warm yet!! LOL

But - worth it. I feel so so much better about my skiing. Despite the metal in two places, I am feeling pretty confident! Ok, less skilful when knackered, but overall - not a bad skier!! :D :D

Just warming up a bit and then heading out for a dinner of melted cheese - since it's Becky's last night, and that's her favourite meal :D :D

Hope I warm up soon! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Roofer showed up, went up on a frost covered roof, disagreed with what the insurance guy told us,said he'd be back about 2pm...

Having doubts about riding this Sunday, weather guessers are saying 30deg overnight with a high of 56 during the day. bbrrrr, However, it's open house at a friends bike collection (100+ bikes), only 15 minutes from the RockStore & I haven't had a bike out so far this year...

Snow is supposed to be down to 3500ft tonight, I'm at 2450ft, but have to go up to 3200ft to get to LA

ZX11 on frosty roads.. what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.rideapart.com/news/257982/c ... ollection/

https://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/artic ... -wheelers/

He has a *full set* of H2's, Z1's & Commando's (all years, all models, all colors)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Spent nigh on two hours negotiating East London and South London gridlock as some goon decided to climb up the top of the Blackwall Tunnel. Police shut it as they were 'concerned for his welfare'. They bloody wanna be if I get hold of the bell end... :angry-cussingblack:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:39 pm Went skiing. First full day sine a year and a day ago!!! (well, pretty sure it's that long cos I went with the same people :))

I mean yes, it's generally below freezing here and we are used to it. But I think today is the first day it's been properly below freezing all day and, it was 'just' below freezing - minus 19 :shock: :shock: Fcking minus NINETEEN :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So not only am I not fit enough for a whole days skiing, I'm REALLY not aclimatised to -19 :lol: :lol: :lol: Worse, the friend that 'navigated' (very loose description!) initially really didn't know Les Arcs very well so we dicked around a lot in the shade whilst trying to get to the sunny side :roll: !! And, cos of the dicking around finding the route, there was a lot of stopping which meant a lot of pushing along with poles :cry: :cry: Not ideal in the cold for a metal shoulder!!

I'd decided to ski home and leave her to meet the other friend we skied with alone, but at the top of that chair, we had to ski down in the sun - so I stayed out. Worth it for the little bit of sunny skiing we did :D :D But bloody hell I'm cold! Still!! Been home and hour and a half and still not warm yet!! LOL

But - worth it. I feel so so much better about my skiing. Despite the metal in two places, I am feeling pretty confident! Ok, less skilful when knackered, but overall - not a bad skier!! :D :D

Just warming up a bit and then heading out for a dinner of melted cheese - since it's Becky's last night, and that's her favourite meal :D :D

Hmmm -19, time to break out the fleece and socks with the sandals (still shorts weather)
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:39 pm Went skiing. First full day sine a year and a day ago!!! (well, pretty sure it's that long cos I went with the same people :))

Hmmm -19, time to break out the fleece and socks with the sandals (still shorts weather)
Hell, it's only been +19c here and we were all chilled :D