Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:44 pm As I said this has been a proper man thread on how to buy, please find me a van for £7k.......fast forward 2 weeks and here's my £15k van :lol: :lol:
Well .... it wasn't £15k :)

It was £16k

:D :D

It really did escalate. But it's a 2016 Custom with 42,000 on it and SO much quieter an engine than the one i demo'd. I had to point it out to the boss actually "the demo one is proper noisy" lol.
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:09 pm
dern wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:55 pm Keep some money aside for security. I'm installing hook and dead locks for mine. The security on these things is pitiful.
https://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/

These seem the most reasonable on price I can find.
I got mine from https://garrisonlocks.co.uk/

I've ordered hook locks for the side and rear doors to both lock them and make peeling them less easy. I've also ordered deadlocks for the cab doors. It's not like there's anything valuable in there but I don't want someone peeling the side door off to find that out and the locks are a deterrent.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Don't forget the sticker saying no tools left in this van overnight.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 pm Don't forget the sticker saying no tools left in this van overnight.
Any real point/deterrent ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Oim thinkin' the sticker post is one of they there joke thingummies...
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:29 pm Image

So i've now bought this... pending collection of my Kuga which was due to be collected today, but the snow put the dealer off apparently lol. So i think that'll be Wed now.
Yay :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: Love it. TBF, It's my favourite Transit colour LOL

Is it worth putting a towbar on it? I mean, I know you have it to avoid towing with a car, but is it worth it for a 'just in case/wish I had a towbar' moment??
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:31 pm Is it worth putting a towbar on it? I mean, I know you have it to avoid towing with a car, but is it worth it for a 'just in case/wish I had a towbar' moment??
I can't imagine a time i'd tow anything.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

No bike, no kuga. 😲
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Can you take a settee to the tip for me?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:17 pm No bike, no kuga. 😲
Crazy world ain't it
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Couchy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:44 pm As I said this has been a proper man thread on how to buy, please find me a van for £7k.......fast forward 2 weeks and here's my £15k van :lol: :lol:
Did you really expect anything else ? :D
To be fair, I'm impressed that it came in at under 20K!

How many days before it gets returned?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Gutted you didn't get a pick up. We thought you was going to at one point and we got these magnetic signs made up for you! :D

demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 pm
Pirahna wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 pm Don't forget the sticker saying no tools left in this van overnight.
Don't, it more or less says that theres tools kept in the van overnight cos damn nearly every one I see with the sticker has gear in on a night.
And as mentioned, try to avoid stickers that show your hobbies.
MX/Mountain bike clothing manufacturer stickers even, it's not hard to work out.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:59 pm
Don't, it more or less says that theres tools kept in the van overnight cos damn nearly every one I see with the sticker has gear in on a night.
MX/Mountain bike clothing manufacturer stickers even, it's not hard to work out.
It was meant as a joke. ☹️

I've used vans as daily drivers for a lot of years, I've always left them plain. No stickers, no extra locks, nothing on display in the cab, nothing to suggest there's anything in it. I've never had one broken into. I do tend to tweak them a bit, the current one has Bilstein suspension and sits a bit lower. Nothing radical but enough to make it not look like a tradesmans van.

Like Weeksy, I bought my first van for carrying bikes to and from races, they're such a useful vehicle I'm surprised everyone doesn't own one.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:07 am
demographic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:59 pm

It was meant as a joke. ☹️

I've used vans as daily drivers for a lot of years, I've always left them plain. No stickers, no extra locks, nothing on display in the cab, nothing to suggest there's anything in it. I've never had one broken into. I do tend to tweak them a bit, the current one has Bilstein suspension and sits a bit lower. Nothing radical but enough to make it not look like a tradesmans van.

Like Weeksy, I bought my first van for carrying bikes to and from races, they're such a useful vehicle I'm surprised everyone doesn't own one.
I'm still surprised i didn't get one for the last 15 years since i sold the big yellow sprinter i used to race out of the back of.

Considering how many times we've used and needed a van, it's bonkers we've not had one before. lol
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a van...and 3 of those were moving house :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:19 am I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a van...and 3 of those were moving house :D
I couldn't even begin to imagine, at times we've been doing 15+ trackdays a year which whilst OK on trailer, isn't my favourite.

Add into that most weekends are now muddy and wet... It's really pretty much essential.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I loved my old Mk6 Transit I used for racing.

I used it to commute in preference to the car, not because I need to shift loads, just because it was fun to drive.

You get to sit up high so you can see all kinds of shit you don't in the car and you always win games of chicken with car drivers :)
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Should has got a black one and put a 'Private Ambulance' sticker on the back, would have kept the pikeys at bay.....
cheb

Post by cheb »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:28 am I loved my old Mk6 Transit I used for racing.

I used it to commute in preference to the car, not because I need to shift loads, just because it was fun to drive.

You get to sit up high so you can see all kinds of shit you don't in the car and you always win games of chicken with car drivers :)
Who were you racing against and how competitive was the van?

I'm missing having a bigger van. I downsized to a Berlingo sized van because spawn in law had a LWB Vivaro but he recently rolled into a rocky ditch.

My timewasting is mostly spent clicking the links to vans on this thread and wondering.