Ducati Superlight

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: Ducati Superlight

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:44 pm
Bikes are only bought for a purpose for me and that is commuting, so the MT will get used whatever the weather. Basically, if I can get grip, I'll go. But I have to say I'd much rather jump on a scoot in heavy rain, or bitterly cold weather, as the weather protection on them is so much better than naked bikes. Also, I love buzzing round town on scoots anyway.

Sometimes I really wish I had a garage, but in many ways I'm glad I don't as I could see it filling up with bikes bought on a whim! :? :D
I do actually fancy a scoot, one of those bigger ones, but I live up north and if I owned a scooter here then everyone would assume that I'm a bender.

Re: a garage - I'm teetering on a knife edge, I've got a garage and two workshops, I could fit another couple of bikes in very comfortably, I spend every night looking on eBay for bikes (that's how I found the SL). I blame being poor when I was younger, now I want to buy up everything that I couldn't afford back then - and I'm purposely avoiding Preston, the Ducati shop there has a Desert X in the showroom, even if I happen to be passing by I'll probably be coming home with it :lol:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:30 am
Taipan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:44 pm
Bikes are only bought for a purpose for me and that is commuting, so the MT will get used whatever the weather. Basically, if I can get grip, I'll go. But I have to say I'd much rather jump on a scoot in heavy rain, or bitterly cold weather, as the weather protection on them is so much better than naked bikes. Also, I love buzzing round town on scoots anyway.

Sometimes I really wish I had a garage, but in many ways I'm glad I don't as I could see it filling up with bikes bought on a whim! :? :D
I do actually fancy a scoot, one of those bigger ones, but I live up north and if I owned a scooter here then everyone would assume that I'm a bender.

Re: a garage - I'm teetering on a knife edge, I've got a garage and two workshops, I could fit another couple of bikes in very comfortably, I spend every night looking on eBay for bikes (that's how I found the SL). I blame being poor when I was younger, now I want to buy up everything that I couldn't afford back then - and I'm purposely avoiding Preston, the Ducati shop there has a Desert X in the showroom, even if I happen to be passing by I'll probably be coming home with it :lol:
I love scoots and am in a bit of a quandry over two at the moment. I keep wanting to buy another SH300 as a winter hack and having a top box would be handy for the occasional days I need to carry stuff. So I keep hovering over the buy it now button on eBay.

Whats stopping me is I also want a smaller lighter scoot to go on the back of my camper van, so the wife and I can pop into town for lunch and buy supplies without having to break camp and take the camper into to town to look at all the parking spots I can't fit into!

If I buy a Peugeot Vox 110cc it will go on the back of the camper okay but will be too underpowered for my commute into town. I certainly don't want to buy 2 scoots, so really don't know what to do? Decision, decisions...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 am If I buy a Peugeot Vox 110cc it will go on the back of the camper okay but will be too underpowered for my commute into town.
NOS? Turbo?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr Potter,

You thought about one before, now there's a chance they can actually deliver them and make them reliable...

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/first ... itish-back

Might make you happier than an 900SL?
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've always thought the Norton was a lovely looking bike and that's from someone who has no nostalgic connection with the British bike era. Given the company's recent past history I'd want the luxury of a comprehensive warranty,or let a few others be the owner/ guinea pigs.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

But it's being run by TVS now. 3rd largest motorcycle manufacturer in India, $2.5 billion turnover, etc...

IMHO Norton is a much safer bet now and £16k is new R1 money.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:58 pm I've always thought the Norton was a lovely looking bike and that's from someone who has no nostalgic connection with the British bike era. Given the company's recent past history I'd want the luxury of a comprehensive warranty,or let a few others be the owner/ guinea pigs.
Warranty is worth buggery nothing if the company, and hence part supply, has gone the way of the dodo though.

If you're after that sort of bike you'd have to be daft or very rich to look past the various equivalent Triumphs instead IMO.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:52 pm
Skub wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:58 pm I've always thought the Norton was a lovely looking bike and that's from someone who has no nostalgic connection with the British bike era. Given the company's recent past history I'd want the luxury of a comprehensive warranty,or let a few others be the owner/ guinea pigs.
Warranty is worth buggery nothing if the company, and hence part supply, has gone the way of the dodo though.

If you're after that sort of bike you'd have to be daft or very rich to look past the various equivalent Triumphs instead IMO.
From my point of view I've yet to see a Triumph I like the looks of,they leave me stone cold. I think I'd buy a Homda first!
Walt Whitman
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:31 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:52 pm

From my point of view I've yet to see a Triumph I like the looks of,they leave me stone cold. I think I'd buy a Homda first!
Funny init when I was bike hunting the Street Triple should have been very near the top of my list but I just don't feel Triumphs at all either. My mate's one is lovely but it does nothing for me at all. I couldn't explain why either. Odd how you can just have a bike manufacturer that doesn't work for you.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:39 pm Funny init when I was bike hunting the Street Triple should have been very near the top of my list but I just don't feel Triumphs at all either. My mate's one is lovely but it does nothing for me at all. I couldn't explain why either. Odd how you can just have a bike manufacturer that doesn't work for you.
Yeah,there's no logic involved. Both Honda and Triumph make great bikes,but.......
Walt Whitman
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Garner era Nortons were badly designed and poorly built motorcycles, when I had a proper look two things put me off buying one, the bikes were wank and the people I dealt with at Norton were very obvious fraudsters, I posted it all on the old forum. Anyone that actually bought one was had over, it's as simple as that. I had my money in hand and was about to give them a deposit for one of their special builds, I'd basically placed an order, but before I handed the money over I started asking difficult questions and they realised I'd seen through them and they couldn't get me out of the door fast enough. It was a very unsophisticated Ponzi scheme.

I think it's basically the same bike and I'm not even a little bit interested in buying one now.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I know you looked at the previous bikes and decided against it.

But that article reads like everything is sorted.

EDIT:

More Crap than News is saying the same thing...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... -961/2023/
Potter

Post by Potter »

They've probably re-engineered some of the truly horrible bits, but the rest of the bikes weren't great anyway, even if functional and not dangerous.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Michael Mann cheerily smiling though what seems a bit of a mediocre bike is enough to put me off. I was surprised it was so 'cheap' but now I can see why.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:56 pm Michael Mann cheerily smiling though what seems a bit of a mediocre bike is enough to put me off. I was surprised it was so 'cheap' but now I can see why.

Didn't he direct Heat?
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:59 pm Didn't he direct Heat?
Yeah! And the arguably superior adaptation of Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. Not to mention Miami Vice.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Hows about this...

https://www.astebolaffi.it/it/lot/151/132/detail

There's some pretty cool lots in that auction.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:11 pm Hows about this...

I bet Tiepin has already put down a deposit :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hideous!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:13 pm

I bet Tiepin has already put down a deposit :obscene-birdiedoublered:
:wtf: