Ducati Superlight

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Ducati Superlight

Post by Potter »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-900ss ... 7675.l2557

This has been for sale a couple of times and he's dropped the price from 7k+ down to this time £6,800 but it still hasn't sold.

I'm not an expert.
Does this look like a proper SL or a hatchet job?
Yorick

Re: Ducati Superlight

Post by Yorick »

It's gone....
Potter

Post by Potter »

No bids.
Still for sale.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bidding has ended.

Ended:09 Oct, 2022 16:48:02 BST

You can still see the closed listing tho'
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

That numberboard on the fairing lowers isn't standard... and looks shit.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've always wanted one, I might see if he fancies a deal.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was watching the WSBK yesterday on the Discovery+ App.

When the 300 race got stopped and the circuit had to wait for the chopper to return, Eurosplurt showed the WSBK race from Imola in 2002, with the mad cap battle between Bayliss and Edwards for the championship.

I instantly started searching for SP2's on t'bay. Wow, they're serious money these days.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 pm I was watching the WSBK yesterday on the Discovery+ App.

When the 300 race got stopped and the circuit had to wait for the chopper to return, Eurosplurt showed the WSBK race from Imola in 2002, with the mad cap battle between Bayliss and Edwards for the championship.

I instantly started searching for SP2's on t'bay. Wow, they're serious money these days.
Annoyingly , I was offered a pristine SP2 for 4.5k about two years ago - I turned it down as it thought it was too expensive .
If only :hmmm:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I also still look at SP1's and 2's, even though when I had mine (for about eight years) I hardly ever used it.

However, I'm seriously tempted by this Superlight and could do with someone who knows what they're on about giving me a heads up.

@G.P @IanB
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:14 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 pm I was watching the WSBK yesterday on the Discovery+ App.

Annoyingly , I was offered a pristine SP2 for 4.5k about two years ago - I turned it down as it thought it was too expensive .
Wish I'd have bought Potters SP1 years ago. I could have ridden it since then and still doubled my money. I also seriously considered a Ducati Sport Classic in 2006 as they weren't much more 2nd hand than I paid for me new Z750. Have you seen the price of them now :shock:

But sadly I'm not some kinda bike investment whisperer :angry-cussingblack:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:28 am I also seriously considered a Ducati Sport Classic in 2006 as they weren't much more 2nd hand than I paid for me new Z750. Have you seen the price of them now :shock:
I paid not much over £3000 for one with <1000 miles on the clocks hahahahahaha
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

A mate has 2 SP1s, they're only used for trackdays, and both of them are pushed to last a trackday without having electrical problems.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

I liked my SP1 a lot but it didn't really make much sense, like all HRC bikes I suppose.
They weren't great as road bikes, you needed to spend serious money to make them quick, the suspension wasn't good on the road and it was even harsh on the track - think ZXR750H1 harsh.

It was heavy, you had to really muscle it into bends, but it was stable enough once there, although if you wanted decent lean angle it felt like you had to hold it there by the scruff of it's neck.

I've occasionally hankered after another, but only to look at really, I don't think I'd enjoy riding it so much.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:28 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:14 pm

Wish I'd have bought Potters SP1 years ago. I could have ridden it since then and still doubled my money. I also seriously considered a Ducati Sport Classic in 2006 as they weren't much more 2nd hand than I paid for me new Z750. Have you seen the price of them now :shock:

But sadly I'm not some kinda bike investment whisperer :angry-cussingblack:
I also nearly bought a Sports Classic - but thought the 5k they were asking for was too much
Skub

Post by Skub »

Word is,the arse is falling out of the classic market and while some asking prices are still stratospheric,they aren't selling at those prices.

A wise man may keep his powder dry and pick up a bargain in the hard days ahead. ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Potter

Post by Potter »

Skub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:11 am Word is,the arse is falling out of the classic market and while some asking prices are still stratospheric,they aren't selling at those prices.

A wise man may keep his powder dry and pick up a bargain in the hard days ahead. ;)
That's where I'm at, I offered the fella what I thought it was worth and what I could probably get back for it if I change my mind in a years time and want to sell it, but he wasn't for agreeing.

It's probably done me a favour, it was one of those bikes that I'd always wanted and would love looking at, but I'd ride it once in a blue moon.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:11 am Word is,the arse is falling out of the classic market and while some asking prices are still stratospheric,they aren't selling at those prices.

I've found myself looking at RDs for a while now, but feel the bubble will burst soon. I recall this happening last time we went into recession. TBH I think the MT09 has killed off my buying an RD now, but I still do look...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:10 pm

I've found myself looking at RDs for a while now, but feel the bubble will burst soon. I recall this happening last time we went into recession. TBH I think the MT09 has killed off my buying an RD now, but I still do look...
I'm having the opposite of investment thoughts in that I love the GSXS but want something that I'd ride in the shittier weather and I'd not want to do that on the GSXS. I still wouldn't ride in snow/ice but something I'd not worry about getting dirty or used for little errands or left at my mates house in Hayes overnight etc Essentially I'm hating not riding Nov-March due to rain,salt or even in 'season' cos it might rain. There are some decent mild winter days but no way I'd wanna expose my nice bike to salt. Something like a cheap SV or a scoot sound ideal.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:10 pm

I'm having the opposite of investment thoughts in that I love the GSXS but want something that I'd ride in the shittier weather and I'd not want to do that on the GSXS. I still wouldn't ride in snow/ice but something I'd not worry about getting dirty or used for little errands or left at my mates house in Hayes overnight etc Essentially I'm hating not riding Nov-March due to rain,salt or even in 'season' cos it might rain. There are some decent mild winter days but no way I'd wanna expose my nice bike to salt. Something like a cheap SV or a scoot sound ideal.
Bikes are only bought for a purpose for me and that is commuting, so the MT will get used whatever the weather. Basically, if I can get grip, I'll go. But I have to say I'd much rather jump on a scoot in heavy rain, or bitterly cold weather, as the weather protection on them is so much better than naked bikes. Also, I love buzzing round town on scoots anyway.

Sometimes I really wish I had a garage, but in many ways I'm glad I don't as I could see it filling up with bikes bought on a whim! :? :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 pm Something like a cheap SV or a scoot sound ideal.
SH300i is perfect for the job. I ran one for years,all year around.

It even comes standard with a top box for gheyers. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955