The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Aye, thats what I was looking at.

Trouble is, now this car has no gas in it the pressure sensors are telling the AC to remain off in all circumstances. I think I can probably bridge the terminals in the sensor plugs to fool it, but I don't want to trash the pump. I'm not sure if running it 'dry' will kill it instantly or not.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 am I'm not sure if running it 'dry' will kill it instantly or not.
I'd not risk it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can probably stick a multimeter in the 'signal' terminals for the control relay socket and see if the system tries to turn the AC on when the sensor plug is shorted.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If the aircon hasn't worked for a long time then seals may be knackered, did they say it held pressure when you took it in?

I've been doing the window thing for to an obscure problem* with mine, when the car is moving and there right windows are open then there's a really nice breeze.

*On some sunny days hot air comes out of the drivers side, passenger side is fine and the temperature blend works on the drivers side. On cooler days I get cold air out of both sides. When it happens the air is hot for about 30 minutes before it gets down to ambient temp so it's unlikely to be because something has got a bit warm in the sun.
It might be recirculation but I think that's one valve for both sides, the drivers blend valve could be slightly blocked. I need to do more tests but the problem isn't bad enough to get me motivated
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They gassed it up, did the automated leak checks etc then tried it...no cold air. So they took all the gas out again cause that stuff's expensive!

Had I known about the relay and clutch thing first id have looked into that before trying the regas.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm 2006 Honda Civic runaround
A thought occurs.
What when it starts to drop colder with the nights drawing in now, turn off the auto windscreen function if you have it.
If the wipers activate when frozen to the windscreen it can voltage spike the ECU and kill it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Slightly more concerning problem discovered yesterday - the brakes are shite.

I didn't discover this problem on my test drive 'cause the initial bite is fine and it'll do an E-stop no problem. The issue cropped up yesterday when I drove across MK...I nearly ran into the back of someone coming up to about roundabout 10 in a spirited fashion! The pedal was firm I just wasn't slowing down much. When I came to a halt the car absolutely stank of hot brake.

Like I said, pedal is pretty firm and the brake fluid looks brand new. The car was serviced just before I got it and so far I've found every obvious fluid is new and all the filters are new, so I've no reason to believe it needs bleeding or anything.

Perhaps a 2006 Civic on cheapo pads just has shit brakes compared to a Beemer on decent ones! Gonna have to take it easy on them roundabouts, which goes against every instinct.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 am

Well, apart from air con in a heatwave
The Aircon in the moighty 406 broke a few years back (compressor and other parts need replacing, lots of labour, 2k of work on a 50p beater, it's not going to happen).
As you would expect, no Aircon in a car down here in 40+ heat is not much fun.
What's more surprising is how much work working Aircon does in the winter when you're constantly clearing condensation from the windscreen.

But anyway, I've just put new discs on it now, I need at least another 100k out of it.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:02 am Slightly more concerning problem discovered yesterday - the brakes are shite.

I didn't discover this problem on my test drive 'cause the initial bite is fine and it'll do an E-stop no problem. The issue cropped up yesterday when I drove across MK...I nearly ran into the back of someone coming up to about roundabout 10 in a spirited fashion! The pedal was firm I just wasn't slowing down much. When I came to a halt the car absolutely stank of hot brake.

Like I said, pedal is pretty firm and the brake fluid looks brand new. The car was serviced just before I got it and so far I've found every obvious fluid is new and all the filters are new, so I've no reason to believe it needs bleeding or anything.

Perhaps a 2006 Civic on cheapo pads just has shit brakes compared to a Beemer on decent ones! Gonna have to take it easy on them roundabouts, which goes against every instinct.
I had that on a ZX I bought years ago, someone had fitted the pads in the wrong sides. IIRC it was a weird car where the left caliper took different pads to the right and someone didn't understand, they had put L&R in each caliper rather than both L on the left side of the car.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Had the same issue in a Pug 309 (Horrid heap o shit) That was cheap pads.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:57 pm Image
Wassat?
ogri

Post by ogri »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:43 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:57 pm Image
Wassat?
Video card for playing games/racing sims on a computer :)
Ignorance is bliss
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:43 pm Wassat?
Rockin' horse do do at the price I got it for
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:02 am Slightly more concerning problem discovered yesterday - the brakes are shite.

I'd have a quick check to see that the servo is getting a vacuum.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:20 am

I'd have a quick check to see that the servo is getting a vacuum.
It does sound like a master cylinder issue.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It would be weird the the problem only appears sometimes though....I did load of test e stops yesterday from cold and it was fine. It will put you through the windscreen no problem. Stamping on the pedal willy nilly activates the ABS too. I also know what unservoed brakes feel like, this doesn't seem like that.

Also passed the MoT (which includes a brake force check) just before I got it, which doesn't mean that much I know.
David

Post by David »

Shit brake pads binding in the caliper.
Ant

Post by Ant »

If it stank of hot brakes, then isn't it likely an issue with the friction area not the hydraulics?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Ant wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:32 pm If it stank of hot brakes, then isn't it likely an issue with the friction area not the hydraulics?
Smelly brake pads is just a symptom.

The question is why are the pads are staying in contact with the disc and getting hot and smelly? It's not many things that will cause that and they're all easy to check and rectify.