best DAS bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: best DAS bike?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

rodbargee wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:37 pm Yes a bike to do DAS on..
What's wrong with using the school bike?

Am I missing something?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

dont think so The BIl fancies buying something to do it on and keep for a bit
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

rodbargee wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm dont think so The BIl fancies buying something to do it on and keep for a bit
As Spin said, use the school bike THEN decide on what he likes. If you drop the school bikes they are covered in crash protection and usually have a stock of spare levers and crash bungs etc.

His DAS course will have the use of the bike/insurance and built in and crash damage is an accepted part of the training for the school.

Had a guy today on a CBT who drives a car and has already bought a low mileage Yamaha FZ6 which is an ideal first bike for a full license holder.

Shame he struggles to ride a 125 and will need a shit load more training to get to grips even with a 125 never mind his 600 as he confuses the clutch lever with the brake lever and also tries to change gear without using the clutch. :shock: :shock: :shock:

He will get there, but will take some time
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:42 pm
The only 125 I've ridden with a big bike feel is the Varadero.
The old CZ125s always felt bug as they actually were a downsized bigger bike, so did the 125 MZs.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
The Spin Doctor

rodbargee wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm dont think so The BIl fancies buying something to do it on and keep for a bit
Not all trainees drop a bike, by a long way... but enough do to make it worth the ATB covering it in crash protection, as BigYin says.

Get him to cost up:

bar end weight
handlebar
front brake lever
front offside indicator
rear offside indicator
offside mirror

That's typical of a low-speed drop doing U turn practice for a naked. If you're unlucky, you could break the clocks surround too. And as he's unlikely to have the spares in his pocket, a minor spill that the instructor would normally patch up in seconds (I always had spare levers, a mirror and yellow tape for a bodge job on an indicator lens) will bring training to a halt - that could result in lost test fees, course cancellation / lost deposit...

And if he doesn't like the dents and a few scratches, add on:

exhaust
tank

And fairings take the bill to a whole new level.

Alternatively cost up clock protectors, engine protectors and rear crash bars... if you can source them. They're not made for every bike.
Last edited by The Spin Doctor on Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 am
The old CZ125s always felt bug as they actually were a downsized bigger bike, so did the 125 MZs.
One stroke of luck in my life - I never had to ride either (though I did ride the CZ250 twin and the MZ250ETZ :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:18 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 am
One stroke of luck in my life - I never had to ride either (though I did ride the CZ250 twin and the MZ250ETZ :)
A GF had an MZ125. It was awful. But when my Guzzi broke down it was our only transport ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:20 am A GF had an MZ125. It was awful. But when my Guzzi broke down it was our only transport ...
:shock: