best DAS bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
rodbargee

best DAS bike?

Post by rodbargee »

Whats it to be for an old git with no real bike experience but lots of driving experience....BIL he of jag magic
KungFooBob

Re: best DAS bike?

Post by KungFooBob »

To buy new?

Probably a CB500F.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

not new old well loved
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I might be getting confused by what you mean when you say DAS?

Do you mean a bike to do the DAS on, I'm not up to date on the various license classes, I'm assuming A2 compliant?
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Yes a bike to do DAS on..
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

For a DAS full power bike, assuming the course get you through the CBT can you use for example a SV 650 or is it capped at 600`?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

For a full A license for over 24 year olds we use Suzuki Bandit 600's for their DAS as there is a minimum capacity and power requirement so pretty much has to be a 600 Not the newest, not the shiniest but if the student drops it, it isnt a big deal as we have a stock of spare levers etc. Some schools use brand new MT 07's but cover them in crash bars and always say " dont drop this" before they start training which makes the student nervous before they have even started

All the instructors i work with have Fazer 600's as they are comfy for all day riding, R1 brakes, fast enough to keep up with the quickest pupil, bombproof engines and cost bugger all to buy and run for big miles :thumbup:

My Multistrada is insured for teaching but i generally use the Fazer for instructing work
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

GSXR1000 :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

I can't believe that it falls to me, Cpt Boring, to answer this.

Panigale
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

almost forgot
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:20 am Panigale
It's ideal for U-turns with that rear brake (occasionally catches fire - handy for keeping examiners on their toes). And no need to change gear (70mph in 1st), so it's beginner-friendly. What's not to like?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Catches fire? Great, no need for a heated waistcoat through a typical winter!
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Joking aside would a SV 650 be a good idea, he can ride a bike just needs to be brought back to test behaviour and would like something fun to keep for a bit before the Panigale arrives
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 pm Joking aside would a SV 650 be a good idea, he can ride a bike just needs to be brought back to test behaviour and would like something fun to keep for a bit before the Panigale arrives
We had a couple of them but some of the trainees found the V twin engine characteristics a bit harder to deal with than an inline 4. They need a bit more finesse with the clutch on the pull away especially on things like pulling away and turning into a junction. If he can handle that ok then yeah a fair choice :thumbup:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:16 pm
rodbargee wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 pm Joking aside would a SV 650 be a good idea, he can ride a bike just needs to be brought back to test behaviour and would like something fun to keep for a bit before the Panigale arrives
We had a couple of them but some of the trainees found the V twin engine characteristics a bit harder to deal with than an inline 4. They need a bit more finesse with the clutch on the pull away especially on things like pulling away and turning into a junction. If he can handle that ok then yeah a fair choice :thumbup:
My lad did his DAS on an SV, they had a 4 cylinder Yam of some sort but because he's a shortarse like his mum it was too high so he had to ride the SV. He said it was easier to ride than his 125.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

As long as it is reasonably sit up and beg style it will do the job. Training schools tend to prefer user friendly bikes.
I did have a customer that complained about all the bikes he tried; new CB650, new SV700 and old CBF600 and complained that we would not spend all day riding round test routes.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Been thinking about this, trying to identify an appropriate answer to the question. But now wondering whether it's the wrong question!

If, as a learner, you need any very slight advantage that might come from one particular bike choice over another, then that suggests that person's riding isn't so great.

So perhaps ask a different question, or several. Such as:
- physically, what bikes suit? Buy one that he can reach the ground when stopped and the controls when on full lock
Or:
- why even buy a bike? Take some training and find out whether he wants to continue. After passing, have a chat with other schools, find those with different bikes for hire, book sessions as 'training test rides'.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I always thought the later shape faired XJ6's looked quite smart, in fact the only thing stopping them looking really premium was the steel swingarm.

Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:34 am

My lad did his DAS on an SV, they had a 4 cylinder Yam of some sort but because he's a shortarse like his mum it was too high so he had to ride the SV. He said it was easier to ride than his 125.
To be fair most bigger bikes are easier to ride than 125's as they are more planted and less flighty. Once you have the clutch control and clutch slip mastered everyone seems to prefer the bigger bikes
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:50 pm
To be fair most bigger bikes are easier to ride than 125's as they are more planted and less flighty. Once you have the clutch control and clutch slip mastered everyone seems to prefer the bigger bikes
The only 125 I've ridden with a big bike feel is the Varadero.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills