Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by cheb »

Lignum vitae is the wood you want, very hard and used to be used in ship's blocks. Police truncheons used to be made from it too iirc.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:45 pm Really? We're not even going to discuss the type of wood used? ;) Oak might last for a bit I spose (it doesn't look like oak) If its pine I reckon it'll last til tomorrow.

That said - I glued the engine on my 406 about 40 thousand miles ago. All the keyboard-experts laughed .... ;)
It was an offcut of the Riga wood that they built our pergola from.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

cheb wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:57 pm Lignum vitae is the wood you want, very hard and used to be used in ship's blocks. Police truncheons used to be made from it too iirc.
It was also used for the ships and even submarine propeller bearings, also for the turbine bearings on the bloke who did up that French River hydro power thing.
Oh and I have four wooden handppanes with it on the soles.
Two of em are made by Ulmia and are nicer to use than I thought they would be.
Not for site use though. For the things I like instead.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:50 am Ordered standard 46.3mm bearings which Pen's nephew brought over. They are for the wheels on our heavy steel gate.
Wheel came off easily but had to smash the old wheel bearing out. Then I found that the new bearings were only 42mm. Bollox.

I had to bash the old broken shell back in and a few ball bearings so that the wheel will turn. Thankfully the gate still slides, albeit a bit clonky.
The bearing finally collapsed today. No shops have anything similar

So I bodged a wooden bush. Lots of oil and it slides nicely. 2 collets fit inside for the bolt to slide on. Not the wood itself.

Was quite proud of myself :)

IMG-20220727-WA0009.jpeg
Does simplybearings not have what you want? If it does, link me to it and i'll get one bought and send it to you.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:50 am Ordered standard 46.3mm bearings which Pen's nephew brought over. They are for the wheels on our heavy steel gate.
Wheel came off easily but had to smash the old wheel bearing out. Then I found that the new bearings were only 42mm. Bollox.

I had to bash the old broken shell back in and a few ball bearings so that the wheel will turn. Thankfully the gate still slides, albeit a bit clonky.

So I bodged a wooden bush. Lots of oil and it slides nicely. 2 collets fit inside for the bolt to slide on. Not the wood itself.

IMG-20220727-WA0009.jpeg
Does simplybearings not have what you want? If it does, link me to it and i'll get one bought and send it to you.
What he wants has changed, he now wants to point at the gate and say "See that, that's a Yorkshire bearing right there".
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:11 pm

IMG-20220727-WA0009.jpeg
I can't get the outer shell out. No way to force it out. But Muchas gracias amigo :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dremel. Loads of YouTube videos
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:28 pm Dremel. Loads of YouTube videos
Good idea. Just access from front. So can't attack it properly.
Gonna get a new one if I can
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Got up, still feeling the effects of covid, like my brain is in a fog. The word 'drained' doesn't begin to explain it. Had arranged to go into the office for some collaborative meetings. I'm halfway in when I suddenly realise I have forgotten my work phone, log in card and other bits I need. I do a U turn and head the 20 minutes back home. I park the bike on the drive, run in, get my stuff and, as I faff around with the tail pack, the bike rolls off the side stand. I can only assume I hadn't locked it in place properly. Net result a broken clutch lever, scraped engine guard and broken tail pack, which I assume was done as it gouged itself down my right thigh.

Fuck sticks.

Now in work wondering why the fuck I didn't cal in sick today. Mug.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pillock. I always put myself before work.
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:19 pm Got up, still feeling the effects of covid, like my brain is in a fog. The word 'drained' doesn't begin to explain it. Had arranged to go into the office for some collaborative meetings. I'm halfway in when I suddenly realise I have forgotten my work phone, log in card and other bits I need. I do a U turn and head the 20 minutes back home. I park the bike on the drive, run in, get my stuff and, as I faff around with the tail pack, the bike rolls off the side stand. I can only assume I hadn't locked it in place properly. Net result a broken clutch lever, scraped engine guard and broken tail pack, which I assume was done as it gouged itself down my right thigh.

Fuck sticks.

Everything's clearer with hindsight,but riding with brain fog ain't a great idea.

At least,brain fog aside,there's no broken bits on you.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
David

Post by David »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:45 pm Really? We're not even going to discuss the type of wood used? ;) Oak might last for a bit I spose (it doesn't look like oak) If its pine I reckon it'll last til tomorrow.

That said - I glued the engine on my 406 about 40 thousand miles ago. All the keyboard-experts laughed .... ;)
When I was at uni (did I mention my BA Eng. M.O.M.S. ( failed)) we were given steel strip to cut up and the re fix using, weld, rivets and glue.

Properly applied glue won hands down (I know I should have used gloves).
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:19 pm Got up, still feeling the effects of covid, like my brain is in a fog. The word 'drained' doesn't begin to explain it. Had arranged to go into the office for some collaborative meetings. I'm halfway in when I suddenly realise I have forgotten my work phone, log in card and other bits I need. I do a U turn and head the 20 minutes back home. I park the bike on the drive, run in, get my stuff and, as I faff around with the tail pack, the bike rolls off the side stand. I can only assume I hadn't locked it in place properly. Net result a broken clutch lever, scraped engine guard and broken tail pack, which I assume was done as it gouged itself down my right thigh.

Fuck sticks.

Well, got sent home from work as my boss said I looked 'fucking awful'. :lol:

Starting to feel it too. Having what seems like a bit of trouble breathing. Not exactly short of breath, but feels like the old bellows are working at about 90% efficiency. Every once in a while I catch my breath and it hurts a bit.

I must admit, I was s bit arrogant about Capt. Covid as I'm in reasonable shape, as most days I'll go gym, run, weight train, etc. and am in good health generally, but this virus has fucked me over a bit.

Who wants first dobs on the Tiger? You'll have to put a new clutch lever on it, mind....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:52 pm
I must admit, I was s bit arrogant about Capt. Covid as I'm in reasonable shape, as most days I'll go gym, run, weight train, etc. and am in good health generally, but this virus has fucked me over a bit.

Who wants first dobs on the Tiger? You'll have to put a new clutch lever on it, mind....
GWS mate, but just in case I'll take the Tiger.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:47 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:28 pm Dremel. Loads of YouTube videos
Good idea. Just access from front. So can't attack it properly.
Gonna get a new one if I can
A pal found one in a new ferreteria in the big city. I'd never been before coz it looks small from the front.
But mahoosive inside. :)

And they had the paint I've been trying to find.

I'll be heading back there when I have more time for a proper perusal. These places take more money off me than Penny spends on shoes :obscene-birdiedoublered:
20220728_155716.jpg
20220728_155716.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 406 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

How is the wooden one holding up?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Fuck sticks.

Well, got sent home from work as my boss said I looked 'fucking awful'.

Is he new?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:07 pm How is the wooden one holding up?
It's on the spare shelf :obscene-birdiedoublered:

But it did its job :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote:

Starting to feel it too. Having what seems like a bit of trouble breathing. Not exactly short of breath, but feels like the old bellows are working at about 90% efficiency. Every once in a while I catch my breath and it hurts a bit.

Fitness doesn't always seem to mean you'll get through it better? I'm an overweight asthmatic and all it did to me was make fall asleep at times. Yet I've heard loads of tales of superfit people that have suffered badly at the hands of this virus.

Eat healthy, hydrate and don't overdo it. :thumbup:

GWS

Dr Taipan.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:46 pm
gremlin wrote:

Fitness doesn't always seem to mean you'll get through it better? I'm an overweight asthmatic and all it did to me was make fall asleep at times. Yet I've heard loads of tales of superfit people that have suffered badly at the hands of this virus.

Eat healthy, hydrate and don't overdo it. :thumbup:

GWS

Dr Taipan.
A doctor? Hurrah! I'd like to make an appointment...... :thumbup:

The other thing re fitness etc is that the effect of exercise after illness seems to split 50:50 It helps some people get back up to speed quicker while it puts others in a downward spiral. Again it seems to have no correlation with actual fitness pre-infection. I guess your immune system isn't as tightly linked to fitness as some might have us believe.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire