New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Cousin Jack

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Cousin Jack »

New summer gloves. My existing summer gloves were bought back in VD days when I bought my Bonnie T100. They were originally black, but the back of the glove has now faded to pale grey.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Today I've picked up a pair of bullit jeans, a pair of Cardo Spirit intercoms and an Oxford helmet lock.

The jeans because they look better and fit better than my previous pair of red route ones and they were only £79.

The intercoms to replace my aging G4's. The speakers are bigger and louder and there is great smartphone integration.

The helmet lock, not for helmets but to thread through the arms of jackets if we want to take a walk away from the bike and leave them picked to it, the lids will be in the top box.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Picked up a new jacket for commuting to the station duties - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/272305

Had it a few weeks now and is pretty good for what I need it for. Clearly not a jacket you'd want a big off in but does the job for low speed local trips.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I bought an X Life X903 Ultra Carbon because I wanted one.
Honda Owner
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Decided to give my OG Hein Gericke a Nikwax freshen up and reproof as it was looking a little sorry for itself, it's come up bob on, if you didn't look for the repair on the arm from when I went tarmac surfing a few years ago you'd not know it was donkeys years old.

Anywho, come to find it has OG hard as nails HG rubber armour, after all this time and at least one off I don't think it owes me any money, so time for a refresh.

All from ebay, hey a 30 quid saving is 30 quid, so will be scrutinised to buggery to ensure genuine before being fitted.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm All from ebay
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 pmabsolutely piss poor choice of outlet to buy from
:mrgreen:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:32 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm All from ebay
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 pmabsolutely piss poor choice of outlet to buy from
:mrgreen:
2 are from M&P, so risk lessened / mitigated that they'll be knock offs.
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 pm unless it's from a confirmed verifiable retailer who also happens to be on ebay
The other is a gamble, but seeing as my day job includes identifying fraudulent use of CE & UKCA marks, and I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself, then I give myself a better than fair chance of being able to tell if its pukka or not. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Been a bit spendy but a new Alpinestars Boulder GoreTex jacket has arrived. What a lovely, lovely piece of kit. Thermal liner, more vents than you can shake a stick at, a second front zip with top to bottom vented section for really warm days. It came with a D30 back protector but as I use the Tech 5 air vest I’ve taken that out to stop it being too hunch back.

Sizing is a bit Italian, I’m 5’6 and 11.5st and got the XL to allow a bit of airbag expansion if ive got a fleece on and the thermal layer, really wouldn’t want the L as that would be rather trim.

GoreTex got tested on its first outing as it fell down on the commute to work today.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

Spendy it is!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:51 pmSpendy it is!
Got cracking deal from XLMOTO and didn't have to pay import duties either.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:23 pm Today I've picked up a pair of bullit jeans
Which ones did you get? I've got a pair of the Covert AAA rated ones and really like em. Fit much better than my last few sets and I only paid about £99 a couple of years ago so well happy with em.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:26 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:23 pm Today I've picked up a pair of bullit jeans
Which ones did you get? I've got a pair of the Covert AAA rated ones and really like em. Fit much better than my last few sets and I only paid about £99 a couple of years ago so well happy with em.
These ones I think.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/428767

They've got hip and knee armour, but you can't see it when they're on. I'll mostly be wearing them to tour Fronch next week. I'm not taking a pair of normal jeans so they'll double up as casual jeans too if needed.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bought a Klim Zephyr and a pair of Rokker armoured jeans over the weekend

The Zephyr is a seriously thin 'wind-proof' layer. I tried it under my DEXR leather jacket* and Saturday afternoon (dry and sunny but cold air) and it made a significant difference to comfort levels - certainly enough to justify the price tag.

The jeans are definitely on the hipster side of comfy, but feel very light and perfect for trips to the office and days which are more standing around than riding, will be trying them on the bike next ride. They're FAR more comfortable than my Lindstrands Macan jeans which are cut very oddly in places.

* oh yeah - bought a DXR Icarus a few weeks ago, nice jacket, with some good features, but the cuffs are a tad awkward to use.
I bought it because I was fed up that the oxblood Merlin Lichfield I bought last year was a size too small and I never got around to getting the proper size before they all disappeared from the shops. (I've still got it and will probably use it as a winter casual jacket now - without the back protector and shoulder armour in, it's tight but comfy, with the armour fitted I can't roll my shoulders forwards properly).

My GF bought some leather trous and a Warm-n-Safe top so I've had to wire in a new harness to the bike for it. While I had the tank off i've also installed the Denali D2 lights I bought about 2 years ago, and a new Brodit powered phone holder for nav-duties. :)
non quod, sed quomodo
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:37 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:26 am
These ones I think.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/428767

They've got hip and knee armour, but you can't see it when they're on. I'll mostly be wearing them to tour Fronch next week. I'm not taking a pair of normal jeans so they'll double up as casual jeans too if needed.
Yeah sounds like the armour in the Coverts, pretty much unnoticeable. I tend to wear mine as my main riding trousers now, but the last 2 weeks have also been wearing them in the office for my 1 day a week with people. Only issue was when I forgot to wear my riding trainers rather than boots. Poop action is much restricted with boots, knee and hip armour :lol:

I think the Tactical are the same as mine except for a few extra bits of protection to get the final A but most of the jean is the same I think. They look a load better on that my first few pairs of riding jeans which were challenged in the style stakes!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:40 am
* oh yeah - bought a DXR Icarus a few weeks ago, nice jacket, with some good features, but the cuffs are a tad awkward to use.
Nice that :thumbup: Cuff does look a little odd though, is it a popper?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looks well. I'd been thinking of going back to leather after years of textiles. Leathers are probably easier to clean too. My Held jacket gets filthy with flies guts after a couple of runs. What made you go for the DXR instead of Hideout,for instance?
Walt Whitman
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Skub wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:02 pm
Looks well. I'd been thinking of going back to leather after years of textiles. Leathers are probably easier to clean too. My Held jacket gets filthy with flies guts after a couple of runs. What made you go for the DXR instead of Hideout,for instance?
The double-breasted style. There's not many jackets that are double-breasted but NOT "Brando"-style (epaulettes, stupid collar, etc). I had one back in the 90s and really liked it, so have been looking for similar for a while.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

I scored a Zed jacket off the bay for a much reduced sum. My jacket now matches my bike and I'm as ghey as the cheese with his matching helmet. 8-)
Walt Whitman
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:51 pm I scored a Zed jacket off the bay for a much reduced sum. My jacket now matches my bike and I'm as ghey as the cheese with his matching helmet. 8-)
No need for a hat when you make it that obvious :thumbup:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The heatwave is now officially over for most of Europe, and is unlikely to be repeated for donkey's years. Sorry people.

I have bought a motorcycle cooling have vest (ie waistcoat/gilet) to keep me 5-10 degrees cooler for 5 - 10 hours. Not had chance to try it yet, although a mate has one and reports it worked a treat for a 5 hour ride in the heat. What is certain is that now I have one it will not be needed for yonks.

Works by submerging it in water for 2-3 minutes, shaking the excess off the outside, and then it release the water slowly via the special fabric so it evaporates and cools you. Allegedly.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!