New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Skub

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Skub »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:43 pm The heatwave is now officially over for most of Europe, and is unlikely to be repeated for donkey's years. Sorry people.

I have bought a motorcycle cooling have vest (ie waistcoat/gilet) to keep me 5-10 degrees cooler for 5 - 10 hours. Not had chance to try it yet, although a mate has one and reports it worked a treat for a 5 hour ride in the heat. What is certain is that now I have one it will not be needed for yonks.

Works by submerging it in water for 2-3 minutes, shaking the excess off the outside, and then it release the water slowly via the special fabric so it evaporates and cools you. Allegedly.
Sounds horrible. :shock:

At no point this Summer have I ever approached being too warm on a bike. I usually put my heated gear away for the duration and although I haven't used it for a while,judging by today's cool run,it won't be long.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Skub wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:50 pm

At no point this Summer have I ever approached being too warm on a bike. I usually put my heated gear away for the duration and although I haven't used it for a while,judging by today's cool run,it won't be long.
Bought for a trip to Europe. Apparently it was 38 degrees + last week, and a bit too warm. I had a trip like that a few years ago, and I was stopping every 50 miles or so to soak my buff and tee shirt in water
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:43 pm The heatwave is now officially over for most of Europe, and is unlikely to be repeated for donkey's years. Sorry people.

I have bought a motorcycle cooling have vest (ie waistcoat/gilet) to keep me 5-10 degrees cooler for 5 - 10 hours. Not had chance to try it yet, although a mate has one and reports it worked a treat for a 5 hour ride in the heat. What is certain is that now I have one it will not be needed for yonks.

Works by submerging it in water for 2-3 minutes, shaking the excess off the outside, and then it release the water slowly via the special fabric so it evaporates and cools you. Allegedly.

But isn't a heat wave in Norn anything over 20 degrees Centigrade?
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Was a but parky here today so work my thermal flip flops :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've not been on rides for several days this summer cos its too hot. Over 26c is too much for me as I find it too uncomfortable and we've had a few 35c days when wearing pants is too much let alone bike kit.
In Malta at the min and it's been 35-40 most days. I couldn't ride a bike here, I'm finding skin a bit overdressed
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 pm I've not been on rides for several days this summer cos its too hot. Over 26c is too much for me as I find it too uncomfortable and we've had a few 35c days when wearing pants is too much let alone bike kit.
In Malta at the min and it's been 35-40 most days. I couldn't ride a bike here, I'm finding skin a bit overdressed
Even on days when it is hot here,the temps will rise in the late morning and afternoon. I'm always out riding in the early morning when it can be around 12 degrees. It may look like I paint a picture of living in a cold place,but at least some of that is down to my riding times. We do have some nice days too. :)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Bought another lid to join the collection.

Shark explore r carbon skin

Comes with a visor, peak and goggles and is multi configurable. Plus it has a drop down sunvisor. It's more a road bike helmet with a peak than adventure style, off road with a visor.

I must have a shark helmet shaped head because the fit is fantastic.

Used it for the first time today as pictured and its fantastic for the supermoto. It feels like less head lift than my Arai tour so that's a bonus.

I know its not to everyone's taste but I love it ... Another keeper :D
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Another new helmet purchase, had bought a HJC Rpha 11 for track duty’s and consigned the 20 year old, but spotless RX7rr to commuting.
Managed to drop it at work and thought, time to buy a cheap new one.
A quick internet search and a Schuberth sr2 popped up in the right size, ghastly colours but reduced from £689 to £189!!!
Couldn’t resist, but can’t bring myself to use it to commute to work and sit around on a building site all day, so still need a cheap helmet😂
F65C801E-57CE-42C7-B7A5-CD0F50A0B99F.jpeg
F65C801E-57CE-42C7-B7A5-CD0F50A0B99F.jpeg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 686 times
formula400

Post by formula400 »

These Alpinestars SMX plus V2 boots
Why??? Because I had a voucher and can’t justify £550 ont hr super tech R’s

So far these are brilliant, proper comfortable and can only see them getting better
Attachments
F04510A2-DB60-49FA-AA10-ACE4E48CFB6A.jpeg
F04510A2-DB60-49FA-AA10-ACE4E48CFB6A.jpeg (596.27 KiB) Viewed 639 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
hawkati

Post by hawkati »

Recently I bought this...

But just a couple of days ago got given this!

I are mostly very happy with both...
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I recently sold my Kriega back pack an bought this
https://www.klim.com/Nac-Pak-3319-005?cur=USD
Much more comfortable than the former
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Helite Turtle 2 airbag vest, Feeling more vulnerable as I age, and on a tubed tyre bike:
viewtopic.php?p=198322#p198322
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Just picked these out from M and P clearance as i need (another) new pair of gloves

Richa Extreme 2 goretex gloves reduced from 159 to 69 quid. I dont need thick gloves for winter as i have heated grips on both bikes but sick of leather ones soaking through so will give these goretex lined ones a punt

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/richa- ... es-ch01167

Will update on how they perform over the next few weeks for work use

EDIT: Looks like they have gone back to almost full price so i might have got some that were wrongly priced ...bonus :thumbup:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Those Extreme 2 gloves have a brilliant spec. What a bargain!
Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm sick of leather ones soaking through
Have you tried DucksWax? Despite the inner Gore-Tex, I recommend using it on the Richa Extremes to stop the outer leather wetting out.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:43 pm Those Extreme 2 gloves have a brilliant spec. What a bargain!
Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm sick of leather ones soaking through
Have you tried DucksWax? Despite the inner Gore-Tex, I recommend using it on the Richa Extremes to stop the outer leather wetting out.
I havent tried that yet, i do have some old Nikwax in a tin i rub on leather gloves but i tend to use it on black gloves.....my most recent ones have lots of white and the other ones have red/white sections. I'll try it on these on the upper leather bits ;)
Hot_Air

DucksWax

Post by Hot_Air »

I found Nikwax disappointing and much prefer DucksWax. It can take several days to be absorbed – but it’s worthwhile. I doubt anything makes leather 100% waterproof (except Pittards WR100 and BMW Furka leathers), but DucksWax helps a lot of the rain to bead off.
hawkati

Post by hawkati »

New helmet time and a quantum shift away from shoei, which I've used for the last 30 years. Trying out an AGV K5s - if it's not comfortable for 250 miles then I'll be gunning for another shoei, probably an x spirit.
Bought a daft visor too for the hellofit...

Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm Just picked these out from M and P clearance as i need (another) new pair of gloves

Richa Extreme 2 goretex gloves reduced from 159 to 69 quid. I dont need thick gloves for winter as i have heated grips on both bikes but sick of leather ones soaking through so will give these goretex lined ones a punt

EDIT: Looks like they have gone back to almost full price so i might have got some that were wrongly priced ...bonus :thumbup:
Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:43 pm
So, one week in and quite liking these gloves. Warm enough in current temperatures and should be ok when it gets colder but doubt they would be a proper winter glove as not insulated and warm enough for that. I have heated grips on both my bikes so they are enough for me all year round.

Today saw me doing 4 hours riding in biblical rain and despite the outer leather being absolutely soaked (not treated them yet with any coating) the inside of the glove remained dry due to the Goretex layer .....which was nice :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Not bought. Freebies :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Screenshot (120).png
Screenshot (120).png (660.93 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Screenshot (119).png
Screenshot (119).png (639.81 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Screenshot (124).png
Screenshot (124).png (457.14 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:57 pm
Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm Just picked these out from M and P clearance as i need (another) new pair of gloves

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:43 pm
So, one week in and quite liking these gloves. Warm enough in current temperatures and should be ok when it gets colder but doubt they would be a proper winter glove as not insulated and warm enough for that. I have heated grips on both my bikes so they are enough for me all year round.

Today saw me doing 4 hours riding in biblical rain and despite the outer leather being absolutely soaked (not treated them yet with any coating) the inside of the glove remained dry due to the Goretex layer .....which was nice :thumbup:
Good to know they are waterproof (Richa gloves). I bought these the other year but never ride in rain if I can help it, but I went the opposite route with leather palm with a textile back of hand. Being Goretex I'd hope they would shrug off rain though if I got caught out. Sounds like yours they aren't full on winter gloves but cut a nice balance of warmth/feel. On the 690 with heated grips they were great, I've not got heated grips on the Suzuki though. Then again rarely ride in the cold.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/221736