Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
JamJar

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by JamJar »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:00 pm
Oh, I get that smart phones and stuff eventually get forced into redundancy but this is just a clumsy app update released without checking that it works properly on a reasonably common platform. :( I suppose I'll have to wait for a fixed app or a firmware update for the streamer (a real pain to install). Meanwhile Spotify is taking £10/month. Maybe time to cancel and think about paying again when they fix it.

PS If you do need to replace your phone giffgaff do pretty good prices on 'last years' phones.
With a price tag of £2500 for a streamer I doubt they are that common! What the hell does that £2500 buy?!?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

JamJar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:35 am
Oh, I get that smart phones and stuff eventually get forced into redundancy but this is just a clumsy app update released without checking that it works properly on a reasonably common platform. :( I suppose I'll have to wait for a fixed app or a firmware update for the streamer (a real pain to install). Meanwhile Spotify is taking £10/month. Maybe time to cancel and think about paying again when they fix it.

PS If you do need to replace your phone giffgaff do pretty good prices on 'last years' phones.
With a price tag of £2500 for a streamer I doubt they are that common! What the hell does that £2500 buy?!?
Bragging rights. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Phones I'm ok on, not sure GiffGaff would ship to France! It's the tablet (iPad) that is too old :( But then it was the first mini version, so it's done pretty well!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It wasn't £2500 and it's a few years old now. It is 'stand-alone' and has a pre-amp and power amp (and FM+DAB+Internet radio, Spotify, Tidal, various inputs etc so it's basically a hi-fi in one box) in it so just needs speakers - although mine runs through a separate pre-amp, power amp and power supply. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:49 am
Phones I'm ok on, not sure GiffGaff would ship to France! It's the tablet (iPad) that is too old :( But then it was the first mini version, so it's done pretty well!! LOL
Ah. Giffgaff don't do tablets but you should be able to pick up a s/h newish iPad for a lot, lot less than a new one from the sort of phone places that have appeared everywhere here - if the same has happened in France. I think they're fully supported for 5 years or more.
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:53 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:49 am
Ah. Giffgaff don't do tablets but you should be able to pick up a s/h newish iPad for a lot, lot less than a new one from the sort of phone places that have appeared everywhere here - if the same has happened in France. I think they're fully supported for 5 years or more.
There's a couple of online places I could order from. Just don't want to spend any money until I know what's happening with sick pay!! I'll get there in the end!! :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bloody adverts for Qatar at the start of every (well, not really, but it feels like it :( ) video on YouTube.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Retractable dog leads. What is the point? Either let your dog off the lead and teach it recall, or get a proper lead that isn't going to create a Bear Grylls style trap across the path as Dotty the Shit-Arsed Small Dog goes scampering around your legs.

20 foot of fucking garroting wire with a Schnauzer yapping away at the end of it.... :angry-cussingblack:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

5 fuel stations before i found one with diesel.

Then £90 to fill it... it would have been over £100 if i'd gone in nearly empty.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:37 am 20 foot of fucking garroting wire with a Schnauzer yapping away at the end of it.... :angry-cussingblack:
are you crawling on the floor ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:37 am 20 foot of fucking garroting wire with a Schnauzer yapping away at the end of it.... :angry-cussingblack:
Gremlin, earlier.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm
I'm short.

(Still taller than Iccy, mind)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

:twisted:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:39 am

Bragging rights. :D
:lol:

I'm nearly 'entry level' (although the Muso's are pretty good for less money) - the top end stuff is just :wtf:

Anyways, I just hooked it up with Bluetooth to play Spotify (which, in comparison sounds like it's playing in the bottom of a bucket) so I'll probably take it into the dealer, ask them to do the firmware update and (gently) enquire what trade-in they can offer on an upgrade. We'll have a quiet laugh about it and I'll come back home with my Qute. :D
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Aaaaaagh! :(

'Feminine inflation' (nothing to do with weight/size).

For a number of reasons I could do with a bit of pampering right now and not driving long distances. So, couple of days, nice hotel towards the coast about an hour away - have stayed there a few times - lots to do round and about, good restaurant - swim, sauna, massage, nice scran, couple of days midweek, soon. Sorted.

Mention to wife that we could get an impromptu break. Next thing ping! goes email. We can get a 3 day deal at one of the leading health spas in September, half the country away. A room with a view is more, obvs etc etc.

I do not want to drive half way to Scotland, spend 3 days in a towelling robe being fed a lettuce leaf and kale smoothies in 6 months time and to sell a kidney to pay for it.

So I'm now in 'quiet mode' hoping the idea gets forgotten. Looks like I'm staying home. :(
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I just had a benefits meeting with the new company and they offer membership to some club that you can buy spa days from. If I sign up and my wife finds out it's going to become a very expensive 'benefit'.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Could you book something as a surprise "because you're worth it, don't want you waiting 6 months" etc.

Done deal is difficult to refuse.

Says H, who's off next week for a couple of days at a place Filly found :)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:54 pm Could you book something as a surprise "because you're worth it, don't want you waiting 6 months" etc.

Done deal is difficult to refuse.

Says H, who's off next week for a couple of days at a place Filly found :)
I could but it wouldn't be a surprise now. :D

Last time I suggested a similar thing it mushroomed into 5 days at a different place, in a cottage in the grounds....Covid got me out of that one.

It's like there's some malfunctioning Babelfish involved - 'I fancy a couple of days at xyz' gets translated as 'Let's do abc'. Mind you, same thing if I say 'Let's get the hall floor done with that nice wooden stuff' gets translated to 'Let's redecorate the whole house, replace all the flooring and build an extension'. *sigh*

Edit: I forgot the 'I'm going to get a skip and clean out the garage/shed etc' that translates as 'Let's ship the furniture off to auction, clear the house, redecorate, get new flooring and get new furniture'. :lol:

Edit 2: 'Let's get the garden tidied' = 3 weeks worth of landscaping.
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Would a divorce be easier and cheaper? ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:52 pm I just had a benefits meeting with the new company and they offer membership to some club that you can buy spa days from. If I sign up and my wife finds out it's going to become a very expensive 'benefit'.
When I was at McAfee we got trips to Champneys.

We had a superb weekend in room with garden terrace for £100.

Her brother took his wife a month later and he paid full price. £1,100

We went quite often ;)