What bike should I buy?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Tricky

Re: What bike should I buy?

Post by Tricky »

Skub wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm There's a distinct lack of Kawasaki mentions. I are disgustapated. :x

I chopped the ten in for one of these,arrival imminent.

Nice, I reckon that's gonna be a lot of fun :thumbup:

I shared a garage with a bloke at Almeria last time I was there with a then pretty new Z100-, I never knew until a year or two later when I bumped into him again at Donington, but he's one of Couchy's mates , but anyway, he was a top bloke , zed and MT were very well matched up the straight.
He had a real good Garmin camera set up, this is him following me on my first MT10 - I feel I should point out that I have been around there 10 secs a lap qucker on my 10R-C2 , but having said that, it was 10 years or so ago though and the 10 was on on much better tyres and had more power and importantly much more ground clearance
(they are my main excuses anyway :D )

Skub

Post by Skub »

Tricky wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 pm
Nice, I reckon that's gonna be a lot of fun :thumbup:

I shared a garage with a bloke at Almeria last time I was there with a then pretty new Z100-, I never knew until a year or two later when I bumped into him again at Donington, but he's one of Couchy's mates , but anyway, he was a top bloke , zed and MT were very well matched up the straight.
He had a real good Garmin camera set up, this is him following me on my first MT10 - I feel I should point out that I have been around there 10 secs a lap qucker on my 10R-C2 , but having said that, it was 10 years or so ago though and the 10 was on on much better tyres and had more power and importantly much more ground clearance
(they are my main excuses anyway :D )

Cool flick! I bet it was hard work hanging on at almost 150 on the straight sans fairing. The Yam seemed to have the legs on the Kwak here and there,either that or you did. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

irie wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:21 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm Tuono V4.

Older 1000cc ones can be had for £6k.

I will own one one day.
Just what I was going to suggest.

I had a black '04 Tuono, lovely wheelie machine.
Funnily enough, I was just sorting some old photos today and, from memory, you're in some from a trackday we were both on.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 pm A quick skim read suggests you've not owned nor ridden a 2T. You probably should, tolerably modern ones are available in most styles from race rep to supermoto. Buy well and you'll not lose too much money when you come to sell it.

Impractical yes, but then bikes in general are unless you are commuting.
This is both true and interesting. Never even sat on one I don't think..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 pm A quick skim read suggests you've not owned nor ridden a 2T. You probably should, tolerably modern ones are available in most styles from race rep to supermoto. Buy well and you'll not lose too much money when you come to sell it.

Impractical yes, but then bikes in general are unless you are commuting.
This is both true and interesting. Never even sat on one I don't think..
I think you have to 'get' them to enjoy them. Like big twins, IL4s, etc. If you get them, you'd probably have owned one by now ?
irie

Post by irie »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm
irie wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:21 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm Tuono V4.

Older 1000cc ones can be had for £6k.

I will own one one day.
Just what I was going to suggest.

I had a black '04 Tuono, lovely wheelie machine.
Funnily enough, I was just sorting some old photos today and, from memory, you're in some from a trackday we were both on.
Funnily enough (sort of ;) ), the Tuono met its end at Brands Paddock on a track day. :lol:

After that I started racing with Bemsee. Didn't stop me smashing stuff (and myself) up. :roll:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm
You've been riding too many old snotters for too long or more likely have just got old I reckon- a 90s CBR whilst competant and generally pleasant enough is unremarkable in almost every way - certainly not what Id call as good a motorcycle as I'd ever need :D ;)
Competent, generally pleasant and unremarkable is exactly right.

Other bikes have a temporary ability make you interested because they're nicer looking, or faster, or have electronic rider assistance, but then they're more expensive, or more focused or less easy to live with, or something. Nothing does an all round job any better for the money and the only justification to buying anything else is just because I can.

The only thing I'd probably prefer is a more sit-up-and-beg riding position, but the CBR is hardly a TZ250, it was made when a bike needed to be your daily transport to work, your weekend toy and a tourer for that yearly trip abroad with luggage. I've never got off it with knackered wrists or back.

It's the Ford Mondeo of motorcycles.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 am
Tricky wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:32 pm
You've been riding too many old snotters for too long or more likely have just got old I reckon- a 90s CBR whilst competant and generally pleasant enough is unremarkable in almost every way - certainly not what Id call as good a motorcycle as I'd ever need :D ;)
Competent, generally pleasant and unremarkable is exactly right.

Other bikes have a temporary ability make you interested because they're nicer looking, or faster, or have electronic rider assistance, but then they're more expensive, or more focused or less easy to live with, or something. Nothing does an all round job any better for the money and the only justification to buying anything else is just because I can.

The only thing I'd probably prefer is a more sit-up-and-beg riding position, but the CBR is hardly a TZ250, it was made when a bike needed to be your daily transport to work, your weekend toy and a tourer for that yearly trip abroad with luggage. I've never got off it with knackered wrists or back.

I own a Ford Mondeo... i don't want my bike to be a Mondeo too... Much as it's a nice car to drive, i want 'more' from a bike.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am
I own a Ford Mondeo... i don't want my bike to be a Mondeo too... Much as it's a nice car to drive, i want 'more' from a bike.
Then you need more than one, otherwise you need a good all-rounder and it's a Mondeo.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:16 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am
Then you need more than one, otherwise you need a good all-rounder and it's a Mondeo.
You may need more than one.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 am
You may need more than one.
I think I was saying the opposite, the CBR is so good you only need the one really, but it's so good it's bordering on dull.

Otherwise I have a couple of two strokes which scratch an itch but I wouldn't tour on one.
I have a pre-war bike but I definitely wouldn't do a tour to the Med on it.
And I'd like a Guzzi V85TT but I wouldn't trackday it or race my mates on new Panigales.

If I could only have one then I'd get a good all-rounder, which is why over here I only have one, the CBR.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Harry wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 am

VFR750 clip ons are about 25mm higher and fit without fouling the fairing if you want n easy way to raise the bars