What bike should I buy?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: What bike should I buy?

Post by Potter »

I'm in love with the Guzzi V85TT.

But IMHO (and to contradict Weeksy) if you want to buy a bike that will do everything brilliantly and probably result in you never buying another bike again because it's so good, then get a steelie CBR600, throw a grand at suspension and sit back. The one I bought off Couchie has ruined me, it's dirty under the fairing, it's chipped and dented over the fairing and it's cheap and nasty looking in places, but it's about as good a motorcycle as you're ever likely to need once you're riding it.

The only reason to buy another bike is vanity or I want something new to look at.
Everyone here that has ridden it thinks there is some weird trickery going on because it's just so good. They all get off and start walking around it looking at the suspension and asking what's been done.

Don't go 60s retro, if you want an old bike then get an old bike, and enjoy it for what it is.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am
Left field choices definitely welcome :thumbup:
Well in that case, let's get totally out of the box;

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ :wtf:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 pm Now, some may disagree here, but going back to an old bike just isn't the same when you've had the toys, when you've had refined... it's like going back to B/W telly... it's just not what you remember...
Yep, I completely agree with that, there's a big danger there. Still, it might be good :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Harry wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:46 pm I'm in love with the Guzzi V85TT.

But IMHO (and to contradict Weeksy) if you want to buy a bike that will do everything brilliantly and probably result in you never buying another bike again because it's so good, then get a steelie CBR600, throw a grand at suspension and sit back. The one I bought off Couchie has ruined me, it's dirty under the fairing, it's chipped and dented over the fairing and it's cheap and nasty looking in places, but it's about as good a motorcycle as you're ever likely to need once you're riding it.

The only reason to buy another bike is vanity or I want something new to look at.
Everyone here that has ridden it thinks there is some weird trickery going on because it's just so good. They all get off and start walking around it looking at the suspension and asking what's been done.

Don't go 60s retro, if you want an old bike then get an old bike, and enjoy it for what it is.
Yeah, I borrowed my missus's lowered F4 for a year or so while my 10R was out of action and then later when stolen, and really liked it. Felt slow to start with of course but then as I adjusted to it it just felt right. Sold it a few years ago for a grand as she's stopped riding and I had other things, but we regularly agree that we shouldn't have got rid of it.

And I agree - anything above that is mainly a combination of greed/ego/technolust etc. But I have those things :)

I think I'm out of the Triumph retro thing currently too. If I get something retro it'll probably be an Enfield as discussed above. Not retro as such, just old yet still being made. And I have fond memories and like them.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:50 pm
Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am
Left field choices definitely welcome :thumbup:
Well in that case, let's get totally out of the box;

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ :wtf:
Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't discount one of those. Maybe not now but at some point.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Steelie CBRs are very good bikes, but there's something about them I don't like (I have ridden one), personally I'd go for the FZR600R or the Thundercat if going for an old 600, they're better bikes than the CBR.
Honda Owner
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

If you want fun and practicality I loved riding this Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport 4v it handles and goes well is easier on the wrists than the Kwak alternative relatively frugal and is a hoot.
Image I dont even have one! There is of course the "My" bike recommendation, so a nice low miles ZZR 1400 continent eating monster that behaves really well Handles and always makes me smile too.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

You've been riding too many old snotters for too long or more likely have just got old I reckon- a 90s CBR whilst competant and generally pleasant enough is unremarkable in almost every way - certainly not what Id call as good a motorcycle as I'd ever need :D ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

There's a distinct lack of Kawasaki mentions. I are disgustapated. :x

I chopped the ten in for one of these,arrival imminent.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Well, you could get one of these, tick plenty of boxes..

or go over the top with one of these..

but whatever you do, don't........

Yamaha rocket 3
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Skub wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm There's a distinct lack of Kawasaki mentions. I are disgustapated. :x

You did it then? I'm impressed! :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Tuono V4.

Older 1000cc ones can be had for £6k.

I will own one one day.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm Tuono V4.

I will own one one day.
Yep, another one I wouldn't mind. And the older V2 too.. though I've heard they're pretty tall and I'm not a fan of overly-tall bikes.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I also quite like the idea of the Ducati Scrambler, the Desert Sled looks aces, but I wouldn't mind the council spec 'Icon' either.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:21 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm There's a distinct lack of Kawasaki mentions. I are disgustapated. :x

I hope I am too. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Skub wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm
Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:21 pm

I hope I am too. :lol:
Did they actually give you any money for your ancient 10? ;)

And why the change? What has the new one got?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Ha!

Yeah,they treated me well. I was prepared to sell the 10 privately,but the dealer came close enough to sway me away from the potential ballache of dealing with punters in the current climate.

I have 2 esoteric reasons for choosing the Z1000.

1. I like the looks

2. Couchy hinted it may allow me to win at inters. 8-)
Walt Whitman
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Skub wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 pm
Slenver wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Ha!

Yeah,they treated me well. I was prepared to sell the 10 privately,but the dealer came close enough to sway me away from the potential ballache of dealing with punters in the current climate.

I have 2 esoteric reasons for choosing the Z1000.

1. I like the looks

2. Couchy hinted it may allow me to win at inters. 8-)
Sounds good. Will be very interested to hear your opinions of it.
irie

Post by irie »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm Tuono V4.

I will own one one day.
Just what I was going to suggest.

I had a black '04 Tuono, lovely wheelie machine.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
cheb

Post by cheb »

A quick skim read suggests you've not owned nor ridden a 2T. You probably should, tolerably modern ones are available in most styles from race rep to supermoto. Buy well and you'll not lose too much money when you come to sell it.

Impractical yes, but then bikes in general are unless you are commuting.