The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Noggin »

I'm eeking my way through the coffee - might need to find someone to forward an order to me in a few weeks :)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:03 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm All is good with the Wrat then,I take it.
But, sadly, he doesn't want to talk to us here :(
Finally come to his senses!

Mind, I've just ordered some more coffee. :banana-dance:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

It's a bit late in the day but I'm drinking my first coffee made with an Aeropress. I have a filter maker at my Mum's which is, quite frankly, pants. So I thought an Aeropress would be a good solution and I've always wondered about one for traveling - previously I was using a Bodum Travelpress. There's no comparison - I am very impressed with the Aeropress and I'll be up an extra hour tonight to enthuse about it as I don't normally drink coffee in the evening :banana-dance:
Lockdown refugee
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Used the Aeropress for years, them's simple little buggers but make a nice cup of joe alright.

Quite enjoy using a JoGo straw too for when out n about, just take grinds a cup and it's away to the races.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:19 pm Used the Aeropress for years, them's simple little buggers but make a nice cup of joe alright.

Quite enjoy using a JoGo straw too for when out n about, just take grinds a cup and it's away to the races.
I bought a pair of those. Haven't tried them yet though.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My old boss used to make coffee by dropping a couple of spoons of ground coffee in a mug and topping up with water, she'd just leave it to settle and not drink the dregs, she didn't need no silly straw. She used to make me coffee too and it's quite easy to just not drink the grind.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:44 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:19 pm Used the Aeropress for years, them's simple little buggers but make a nice cup of joe alright.

I bought a pair of those. Haven't tried them yet though.
They're handy just as regular straws what with us now having soggy paper straws at takeaways / fast food gaffs
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My coffee will arrive in resort about the same time as I will - tomorrow!! Ordered to a friend that went to the uk for a couple of weeks. Will be kinda nice to be able to have nice coffee again!! LOL

Got another friend coming out on the 11th, so I might order some to her so I have a stash, as it's unlikely I'll be back in May now :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

inewham wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:11 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:52 pm My old boss used to make coffee by dropping a couple of spoons of ground coffee in a mug and topping up with water, she'd just leave it to settle and not drink the dregs, she didn't need no silly straw. She used to make me coffee too and it's quite easy to just not drink the grind.
I worked with a Polish guy who did that, just grind it as super fine as your grinder will go and if any is floating you don't notice it. It was a bit like Greek / Turkish coffee but milder
She was from the Czech Republic, must be an Eastern Europe thing.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:52 pm My old boss used to make coffee by dropping a couple of spoons of ground coffee in a mug and topping up with water, she'd just leave it to settle and not drink the dregs, she didn't need no silly straw. She used to make me coffee too and it's quite easy to just not drink the grind.
I just tried that and it did not work, the grinds didn't settle. Maybe I'm trying it with the wrong grinds.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:16 am
I just tried that and it did not work, the grinds didn't settle. Maybe I'm trying it with the wrong grinds.
I always thought Turkish/Greek coffee was quite a coarse grind. It certainly settles as a definite sludge in the bottom of the cup. Turns out it's a 'superfine' grind, so it's a fine silt. Perhaps boiling it in the water helps?

(If I drank coffee grounds, the bottom wouldn't fall out of my world, but the world would surely fall.............).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 am
I always thought Turkish/Greek coffee was quite a coarse grind. It certainly settles as a definite sludge in the bottom of the cup. Turns out it's a 'superfine' grind, so it's a fine silt. Perhaps boiling it in the water helps?

(If I drank coffee grounds, the bottom wouldn't fall out of my world, but the world would surely fall.............).
The turkish coffee-pot we have is kinda like an 'open' moka pot - the boiling water is pushed up through the coffee grinds, but the coffee is just sitting in a 'cup' at the top of the pot - it's all one container, not 3 separate chambers. So, yeah, the grinds kinda get boiled in with the water.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:51 am
Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 am

The turkish coffee-pot we have is kinda like an 'open' moka pot - the boiling water is pushed up through the coffee grinds, but the coffee is just sitting in a 'cup' at the top of the pot - it's all one container, not 3 separate chambers. So, yeah, the grinds kinda get boiled in with the water.
Traditionally it's boiled up for about 2 mins (with sugar in too, quite often) in a long handled pot, directly on the gas ring then poured straight out into the cups. Funny really, mostly the common drink is tea (which they grow around Trabzon*) rather than coffee, which is imported.

*Probably told this story before but they export local tea to Germany. When Chernobyl went up the Germans checked shipments for radiation and found it in tea that had shipped before Chernobyl actually blew. The locals in Trabzon would raise a glass of tea and laughingly salute 'Chernobyl çay!'
Voltaire
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

My Dad worked in Saudi and brought back a traditional coffee brewing set. He then gave us green coffee - unroasted. I remember not liking it at all while he said it was "nice and refreshing".

I had Turkish coffee in the UAE. It was an all day meeting and I was asked if I'd like one in the afternoon, around about the time most people would take a nap if they could. Wow! It was black sludge, but I liked it and now I wish it came around every afternoon as it certainly kept us lively.
Lockdown refugee
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:10 am My Dad worked in Saudi and brought back a traditional coffee brewing set. He then gave us green coffee - unroasted. I remember not liking it at all while he said it was "nice and refreshing".

I had Turkish coffee in the UAE. It was an all day meeting and I was asked if I'd like one in the afternoon, around about the time most people would take a nap if they could. Wow! It was black sludge, but I liked it and now I wish it came around every afternoon as it certainly kept us lively.
I prefer the afternoon nap 😴
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:13 am
Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:10 am My Dad worked in Saudi and brought back a traditional coffee brewing set. He then gave us green coffee - unroasted. I remember not liking it at all while he said it was "nice and refreshing".

Me too but it's frowned upon at work. Not in Japan though - they really do have little cushions that they put on their desk and have a kip on the job.
Lockdown refugee
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 am
Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:13 am

Me too but it's frowned upon at work. Not in Japan though - they really do have little cushions that they put on their desk and have a kip on the job.
It's compulsory here :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

b2b56dca-9ac0-491e-ba11-57244ea1bd8d.jpg
b2b56dca-9ac0-491e-ba11-57244ea1bd8d.jpg (150.09 KiB) Viewed 310 times
New toy!

Blagged at a stupid price, can't wait to give it a go - I'm sure it'll take a bit of tinkering before I get it right. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Butter coffee - anyone tried it? I've just made myself one as I'm going out on the bike today and need all the help I can get. Recipe = I blended a large teaspoon of (homemade) butter with an expresso made in an Aeropress. It's very delicious so may become a norm.
Lockdown refugee
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:13 pm b2b56dca-9ac0-491e-ba11-57244ea1bd8d.jpg

New toy!

Blagged at a stupid price, can't wait to give it a go - I'm sure it'll take a bit of tinkering before I get it right. :D
About time we had a report on this. :D

(Given the usual price it'd have to be 50+% off to be getting into the sensible price zone :lol: ).
Voltaire