The kings is dead... long live the king.....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: The kings is dead... long live the king.....

Post by Noggin »

I have another question, well probably two!! (Weird learning about coffee after all my life drinking tea!!)

I make my coffee in a Mokka thingy on the hob. This particular one I bought at Lidl cos it's quite big (around 4 x espresso size - it's a bit annoying as sometimes it seems to spit coffee all over the place, but there's enough left to get a mug from!!) so I make a relatively weak coffee but a mug sized one (maybe one espresso of coffee but with 3 or 4 espressos worth of coffee!)

But, if I leave it on the side whilst I do stuff, and it gets cool (not quite cold), it is really bitter :(

It is nice hot - its the coffee from the cafe in the valley that I like as a latte from their machine, but at home I drink it black with one sugar (have found a friend in the uk to post me some Waveney Coffee, so need to get on and order it!!)

Soooo - does coffee go bitter as it cools? Or am I doing something to it??

Also, is it the grind? I couldn't justify an electric grinder as recommended, got to be careful as probably won't work till December so spending 50€ just to grind coffee is a bit much right now!! So I bought a hand one similar to this -

It's quite a chunky grind as opposed to the coffee I bought in the supermarket which is like powder. Is that wrong? Have I wasted money on the hand ground one?

I only grind enough for two or three cups at a time - the oldest it will be on that basis is three days/72 hours ish from being ground. It's stored in an airtight glass jar thingy

TBF, I don't think the coffee is going bad because it still tastes nice hot

So do I just have to drink it faster??

Thank you from a 'still' novice coffee drinker :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm I have another question, well probably two!! (Weird learning about coffee after all my life drinking tea!!)

I make my coffee in a Mokka thingy on the hob. This particular one I bought at Lidl cos it's quite big (around 4 x espresso size - it's a bit annoying as sometimes it seems to spit coffee all over the place, but there's enough left to get a mug from!!) so I make a relatively weak coffee but a mug sized one (maybe one espresso of coffee but with 3 or 4 espressos worth of coffee!)

But, if I leave it on the side whilst I do stuff, and it gets cool (not quite cold), it is really bitter :(

It is nice hot - its the coffee from the cafe in the valley that I like as a latte from their machine, but at home I drink it black with one sugar (have found a friend in the uk to post me some Waveney Coffee, so need to get on and order it!!)

Soooo - does coffee go bitter as it cools? Or am I doing something to it??

Also, is it the grind? I couldn't justify an electric grinder as recommended, got to be careful as probably won't work till December so spending 50€ just to grind coffee is a bit much right now!! So I bought a hand one similar to this -

It's quite a chunky grind as opposed to the coffee I bought in the supermarket which is like powder. Is that wrong? Have I wasted money on the hand ground one?

I only grind enough for two or three cups at a time - the oldest it will be on that basis is three days/72 hours ish from being ground. It's stored in an airtight glass jar thingy

TBF, I don't think the coffee is going bad because it still tastes nice hot

So do I just have to drink it faster??

Thank you from a 'still' novice coffee drinker :angelic-green:
I'd say 'drink it faster' ;)

I've recently changed the way I drink and only drink 'espresso' amounts (I use a Le Creuset espresso mug), but often it's either 'normal' coffee, or only half filled with coffee from the mokka, and then topped up with hot water (ie similar to an 'a longue' you can get from most french cafes). I literally just made myself one before sitting down to write this, so the coffee in the mokka was 'cold' (made a few hours ago), and it's 'slightly' more bitter than it was this morning, but not by much. (it's one of the Waveney Valley african ones which I find quite bitter anyway).

As an aside - I ordered a kilo of the Monsoon Malabar AA from Waveney Valley only last night, it's my favourite of the single source coffees they do - we tend to find the African and South American varieties a bit over bitter.
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:56 pm
I'd say 'drink it faster' ;)

I've recently changed the way I drink and only drink 'espresso' amounts (I use a Le Creuset espresso mug), but often it's either 'normal' coffee, or only half filled with coffee from the mokka, and then topped up with hot water (ie similar to an 'a longue' you can get from most french cafes). I literally just made myself one before sitting down to write this, so the coffee in the mokka was 'cold' (made a few hours ago), and it's 'slightly' more bitter than it was this morning, but not by much. (it's one of the Waveney Valley african ones which I find quite bitter anyway).

As an aside - I ordered a kilo of the Monsoon Malabar AA from Waveney Valley only last night, it's my favourite of the single source coffees they do - we tend to find the African and South American varieties a bit over bitter.
That sounds like a good idea! I am used to drinking buckets of tea in the morning, so a bit of a change!! LOL I'll try that plan tomorrow (I tend to only drink one coffee in the morning but maybe I'll drink a couple more :lol: )

I tried a few Waveney as he was kind enough to send some samples with the one I ordered!! Out of those, the Monsoon Malabar was definitely my favourite!!
I've just ordered -

decaf (I know, I'm sorry!!! But in my defense I drink Decaf Yorkshire Tea too!!)
more Monsoon Malabar
Holly's Blend (seen loads of good comments about that one so thought I'd try it!)

Sending to a friend in London and he's going to post it on to me. He's also coming back to France in September (probably) for a couple of weeks, so might see if I can order more then! When he moves out permanently in October I'll have to find another way!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

This is the one I'm currently drinking (just cos I ran out of Waveney and wanted more coffee fast!! LOL) - https://shop.gardellicoffee.com/coffees ... ture-blend

I can't drink it black in the cafe in the valley - but probably because they make it way stronger than I do. Weird tho as I can't drink it with milk up here, but I drink it as a latte down there - with a generous helping of sugar tho, maybe that makes it drinkable as a strong latte!!

Struggling to find the flavours tho - Chocolate?? Plum?? Caramel??
Cup Notes
Milk Chocolate / Almond / Yellow Plum / Caramel
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Has Ratty dropped off the radar? Must be a busy roaster!
The missus is partial to Papua New Guinea beans which we've been getting from Coffee Direct. Wondered if he/anyone could recommend an equivalent as there's no PNG on the Waverney site.

(Method here = Krups grinder + Japanese 1 cup filters).
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Monsoon Malabar, Columbian Supremo and a nice El Salvador Finca San Ernesto heading my way soon enough. Down to the last couple of days of Malabar. Will take the El Salvador Finca San Ernesto to Church for our onsite meetings.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

inewham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm I make my coffee in a Mokka thingy on the hob...
Overheating the coffee can make it bitter so with a Mokka, fill it with *boiling* water and take it off the heat immediately it finishes siphoning (I think its called strombolic?, the bit where its bubbling up) that way the coffee is heated for the absolute minimum time and tastes better.
PS Wear some oven gloves while you screw it back together full of boiling water, the last thing you need is another trip to A&E :lol:

With a Mokka you can get a fair bit of solids in the coffee which can effectively over extract while it sits in your cup so it may still get bitter if you leave it
There is quite a lot of 'stuff' in the bottom of the mug, so that probably doesn't help!!

I use hot water but not quite boiling. Will try that Wednesday (out early tomorrow!). Definitely need to get some oven gloves, the tea towel isn't a great 'wrap around' when twisting something!!!

inewham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm I have a hand grinder for travelling. If you look inside where the burrs are, on mine there is a 3 pointed wing nut you can adjust the grind with
If yours has similar try tightening it a bit if you want a finer grind. For espresso I grind finer that filter coffee
Ahhh - I'll have a look at the insides in a bit! :D

Thank you :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 pm

I use hot water but not quite boiling. Will try that Wednesday (out early tomorrow!). Definitely need to get some oven gloves, the tea towel isn't a great 'wrap around' when twisting something!!!

You only have to wrap the base, the top bit isn't hot :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:32 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 pm

You only have to wrap the base, the top bit isn't hot :)
Hands too small for this coffee thing! :lol: I tend to put the hot bit on a damp cloth so it won't spin when I put the top on. Also not the best as whilst the right arm is getting better, it's still a bit kak handed!! :lol: :lol:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Aeropress ftw
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

inewham wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:59 pm
slowsider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:50 pmAeropress ftw
One of the joys of coffee is the many ways to make it:
When I'm traveling or in the office a hand grinder and an Aeropress makes great coffee
I've got a Silvia at home but I also have a little Mokka pot just because it's fun and a different flavour
I have two mokka pots. Different colours, different taste. :obscene-birdiedoublered:

I was actually thinking of Noggin's hot pot dilemma aamof. :P
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

The good lady's taste seems to be changing, she previously loved the Holly's blend but now says she wants something a little 'stronger' with deeper taste.

So I've told her to give different coffees a go, Ethiopian, Rwandan and Brazilian ordered today :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I've also invested in an Aeropress and used it this past week in Poole with rather good results. Beats wasting money on burnt coffee at the local Barstucks or Stocas. It is going to be pressed into duty for my trips away and so on. Well worth travelling with and I handed on some Monsoon Malabar to a friend who saw the coffee up near Norwich way and could not buy it as they only had enough for some honey.... Now they can work on the coffee addiction.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I ran out of coffee a few weeks ago. Whilst waiting for a friend over there to receive and send the new order, I bought some from the local cafe in the valley.

Now that's gone :o :o

Asked my friend about the coffee he was sending - he forgot :o :o :o

Hopefully, sometime next week, I can get back to the Monsoon Malabar, and try some Hollys!! LOL

Never thought I'd miss a coffee in the morning, but I do!!! :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The coffee is here, the coffee is here!!!! :bblonde: :bblonde:

But now I have another question!!

I have three bags of coffee - ground (I think I ordered it before I had the grinder!) - how should I store it? I'd like to have the decaf open as well as one other, happy to leave the other caffinated one sealed until I finish the first. Well, mostly happy!!

Can I decant the coffee into one of those mason jars that seal airtight? Or should I just use it from the bag and reseal each use? Or ???
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

2 kgs of coffee on its way to me. I think I am going to need this to get through December! At least I'll enjoy drinking it!
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Yep, I've just had notification that our order is on the way.

I still don't drink it, but my lot love it!!
Skub

Post by Skub »

All is good with the Wrat then,I take it.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm All is good with the Wrat then,I take it.
But, sadly, he doesn't want to talk to us here :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:03 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm All is good with the Wrat then,I take it.
But, sadly, he doesn't want to talk to us here :(
Good to know he's ok,I haven't seen him on Friendface either.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955