pensions

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: pensions

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:13 pm Sorry, might have gone off on one there about IBM after a bad experience
I once had an overcooked steak in their canteen, so I can sympathise.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:24 pm Imo, a good life is all about being happy, nothing else matters. As long as my lad is happy, I don't care what job he does, what relationships he has, along as he is happy. 🙂

What makes us happy isn't the same for everyone. Some are more ambitious, some like responsibility, some avoid it like the plague. We can't all be power driven. The human race would have gone under year's ago if we were. We are all different, thank god.
A lovely attitude and one i echo mate, i think most of us on the trackdays are of a very similar outlook in many ways, which is why we all get on so well in the pub/track. We are like minded and appreciate the attitudes of the others in the group.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:24 pm Imo, a good life is all about being happy, nothing else matters. As long a.
s my lad is happy, I don't care what job he does, what relationships he has, along as he is happy. 🙂

What makes us happy isn't the same for everyone. Some are more ambitious, some like responsibility, some avoid it like the plague. We can't all be power driven. The human race would have gone under year's ago if we were. We are all different, thank god.
I have done high paid, high stress jobs that I enjoyed.
At other times I have taken 'boring' jobs because I didn't want the stress.
I have enjoyed both, and also, at other times, hated both.
What I have always tried to do is match the job I was doing to what I wanted at that time. There is little point in sticking with a job you hate if you can find some way to move to one you like.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:44 pm I've read scholarly articles that basically say happiness at work is 50/50 between the financial reward and the satisfaction reward, I doubt there are many who would turn down extra money if offered, but if you can balance what you get paid with feeling good about what you did then it's enough - and that's probably as good as it gets, I doubt anyone has a job that thrills the shit out of them every second of the day.
There's also evidence that being paid to do what you used to do for the love of it is actually a demotivator.

https://www.verywellmind.com/difference ... on-2795384
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

And lo! Having jabbered about the need to have financial slack to cope with irregular demands on the wallet...the washing machine has commited sepukku. :(

Serves me right for saying how long-lasting Miele machines are. :lol:

New m/c arrives next week. I'll give the tumble dryer a Paddington hard stare just to warn it what happens to machines that go on the sick.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:09 pm And lo! Having jabbered about the need to have financial slack to cope with irregular demands on the wallet...the washing machine has commited sepukku. :(

Serves me right for saying how long-lasting Miele machines are. :lol:

New m/c arrives next week. I'll give the tumble dryer a Paddington hard stare just to warn it what happens to machines that go on the sick.
We need a new washing machine and fridge, unfortunately neither my wife nor I can find the enthusiasm to actually buy them as the old ones still work well enough to get by.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Our tumble drier never gets used* - even when baby dazzle was actually a baby and had re-usable washable nappies we air dried everything on good old fashion clothes horses.

Think of the retirement savings if you did that!

*We don't even have a tumble drier in fact, it's a washer/drier
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:13 pm Our tumble drier never gets used* - even when baby dazzle was actually a baby and had re-usable washable nappies we air dried everything on good old fashion clothes horses.

Think of the retirement savings if you did that!

*We don't even have a tumble drier in fact, it's a washer/drier
We had a washer / dryer when we lived in a flat, the wash part was good but the dry part was useless, you just got warm wet clothes.
We haven't got one now, or a dish washer, again neither of us can find the interest to buy them, washing up isn't that bad and neither is hanging washing on the washing line.

Why I'm spouting this shite I've no idea
Honda Owner
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

We used to live in a flat above a sex shop, classy me, we had an old twin tub with a waste pipe you hooked over the sink.

Went out one day after starting the load, returned to find the proprietor of the shop looking worried and wondering why water was cascading down over his stock, he was remarkably cool about it once we’d figured out what had happened.Good job those jazz mags were all in plastic bags :P
Le_Fromage_Grande

Gregor wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:32 pm We used to live in a flat above a sex shop, classy me, we had an old twin tub with a waste pipe you hooked over the sink.

Went out one day after starting the load, returned to find the proprietor of the shop looking worried and wondering why water was cascading down over his stock, he was remarkably cool about it once we’d figured out what had happened.Good job those jazz mags were all in plastic bags :P
When we lived in Felixstowe in 1990 we lived down the road from a sex shop, it closed due to lack of business - it actually said "Private Bargain Shop" on the shop front.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My first flat in MK was below a brothel - we didn't know it was there until after we moved in. We were number 789 and they were number 799 - getting woken up by horny greebos hanging on the intercom at 2AM got old very quickly.

One of them actually tried to force his way into our flat one day when he got the address wrong :shock: Mrs. D was home alone, but fortunately this was back when she did Tae Kwon Do regularly, so she broke his nose and put him on his arse, then slammed the door on his foot. The police were actually interested after that incident.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If you retire somewhere warm, while you're young enough, you could be doing this every day and earning some beer money :)

I took @Couchy to most of these places....

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:13 pm If you retire somewhere warm, while you're young enough, you could be doing this every day
That's your dream retirement, not necessarily everyones.

Looking at that scenery every day would drive me to getting the razor blades out.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:16 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:13 pm If you retire somewhere warm, while you're young enough, you could be doing this every day

Looking at that scenery every day would drive me to getting the razor blades out.
I could ride there everyday. Close up you feel the power of the volcanoes and the lava flow. I'll take you one day and it will blow your socks off.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Ban him :angry-cussingblack:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:17 pm

I could ride there everyday. Close up you feel the power of the volcanoes and the lava flow. I'll take you one day and it will blow your socks off.
I've done a fair few of the trails there if you recall, back when we were staying on the island i did a couple of MTB tours. POtentially not as high as you went or as close to Timanfaya (assuming that's where it is) but certainly in the surrounding areas. It was interesting as a day out, but that's really where the appeal ends to me. For me it needs trees, it needs dirt, actual dirt, mud and slop even. As much as this country at times drives me insane, some of the things you find/see are just unreal. A day playing in the woods on MTBs with leaves turning yellow, the mud being sticky... yeah i'll take that all day, every day.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Oi loiks trees. No volcanos but has some good bike roads. :thumbup: Shame about the MTBers :lol:

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:17 pm blow your socks off
isn't that the other island? :D
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Sorry Yorick, couldn't resist. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:29 pm Oi loiks trees. No volcanos but has some good bike roads. :thumbup: Shame about the MTBers :lol:

That's lovely. But needs lots of rain ;)