Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:02 am
It was a good idea before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye ffs.

Well yes, thats why it's obvious :lol:

I'd be very surprised if those trucks aren't using a system that's derived from off the shelf tram/trolley bus hardware.
Dodgy69

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Dodgy69 »

Why can't they just improve the exhaust filtering process of ice engines, maybe with something much bigger, so the final gases released are safe. Easy to say I know. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Can't filter out CO2...

Well I suppose you could, but it'd be a bloody big tank to keep it in! Every kilo of diesel burned makes just over 3kg of CO2, so you'd need somewhere in the truck to keep all that. And then somewhere to dispose of it at the end of your journey.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Well - looks like even if you can't afford one, you can rent one soon....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-shake-up

It was only a matter of time.

Mind you.... it's pretty typical of a US firm to make this sort of claim:
Mark Fields, who joined Hertz as interim chief executive officer earlier this month, said in an interview. “Tesla is the only manufacturer that can produce EVs at scale.”
I dare say Toyota would have something to say about that.
non quod, sed quomodo
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am Can't filter out CO2...

Well I suppose you could, but it'd be a bloody big tank to keep it in! Every kilo of diesel burned makes just over 3kg of CO2, so you'd need somewhere in the truck to keep all that. And then somewhere to dispose of it at the end of your journey.
Just needs the stylists to work on it a bit :)

Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

We've just picked up a fully marked, emergency lights etc, Tesla Model 3. I'm yet to prise the key (card) from some of the others, but i'm looking forward to driving it.
If i could work out how to do it, i'd post pics!!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm We've just picked up a fully marked, emergency lights etc, Tesla Model 3. I'm yet to prise the key (card) from some of the others, but i'm looking forward to driving it.
If i could work out how to do it, i'd post pics!!
Not sure I can see a charge lasting a full shift. Especially if they get driven quickly.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 pm
Nordboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm We've just picked up a fully marked, emergency lights etc, Tesla Model 3
Not sure I can see a charge lasting a full shift. Especially if they get driven quickly.
Even if the battery lasts a full shift, will it need another full shift to charge it?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

30 mins to full charge at one of the tesla superchargers. So, wouldn't last a full shift, but waiting 30 mins during the shift is easily do-able. We have 8 of the tesla chargers about 4 miles from where we are.

The 3 pin plug in charger is rubbish though, it was on all last night....100 miles of range!!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:12 pm 30 mins to full charge at one of the tesla superchargers.
Wow. Ok, stand corrected :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:12 pm 30 mins to full charge at one of the tesla superchargers. So, wouldn't last a full shift, but waiting 30 mins during the shift is easily do-able. We have 8 of the tesla chargers about 4 miles from where we are.
Hopefully close to the donut shop :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

On EVs are the charging leads lockable in some way, or can some scroat just unplug your lead and nick it?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They don't lock in to the car IME, they just plug in. On many public chargers they're part of the charger though, so you couldn't nick one in the same way you couldn't nick the hose from a petrol pump.

It does seem like an oversite though right? It kind feels like they should lock into the car when you do the central locking or something.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 am They don't lock in to the car IME, they just plug in. On many public chargers they're part of the charger though, so you couldn't nick one in the same way you couldn't nick the hose from a petrol pump.

It does seem like an oversite though right? It kind feels like they should lock into the car when you do the central locking or something.
That'll be the next jolly jape for the kids - going down the street at bedtime, unplugging cars. Beats ringing doorbells and running away, and what fun , going to work nrxt day...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:33 am On EVs are the charging leads lockable in some way, or can some scroat just unplug your lead and nick it?
Asking for a friend? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wossname wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 am They don't lock in to the car IME, they just plug in. On many public chargers they're part of the charger though, so you couldn't nick one in the same way you couldn't nick the hose from a petrol pump.

That'll be the next jolly jape for the kids - going down the street at bedtime, unplugging cars. Beats ringing doorbells and running away, and what fun , going to work nrxt day...
I bet you'll be able to get aftermarket cable locks. Coming soon to the middle of Lidl.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Wossname wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:05 pm]

Or cutting them with a pair of insulated snips and weighing in the copper.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's already research going in that sort of thing.

Obvious solution is aluminum cables....ally is nearly as conductive as copper and way cheaper. In fact aluminum motor windings are an area of active research cause the conductivity/weight ratio is better.

Other option is braided copper/something else cables. Unpicking braid is bloody time consuming and if you choose the right "something else" it means you can't melt the copper out either. Its what they do with phone and power cables in third world countries for the same reason.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

So I drove to the VW dealer to look at the ID3 that was provisionally ordered. I drove up in my 2013 focus diesel, a car that is great at being a car....the ID3 looked better in the flesh then I opened the drivers door, damn it’s like a cheap kids toy, that’s all I can compare it too the type of cheap plastic car you might see on a fairground ride or a kids battery car. I didn’t even bother sitting on the cheap nasty looking seats. I’ve tried to think when I last saw an interior this nasty and I’m not sure I have. I happily got back in my luxurious well built focus and enjoyed the drive home. Once I got home I checked the daughters plastic barbie car and yup I can see the quality similarities 👍

The ID3 is the worst EV I’ve seen, a leaf and a Zoe are better inside, I’m sticking with the cheap car
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Couchy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:37 pm I didn’t even bother sitting on the cheap nasty looking seats. I’ve tried to think when I last saw an interior this nasty and I’m not sure I have.
Not been to a Tesla dealer then? ;)