What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Skub

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Skub »

636mick wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:06 pm She is considering it mate. She has been in that house for almost 30 years, it’s the house where her husband died and her daughter was bought up. I get why she is reluctant to sell, just because of one neighbour, we think. Hopefully the Police will be able to prove it was him, them I guarantee there will be no more issues.
The area is really nice spoilt by one family, as happens in a lot of places. I’m with you, I think she should move. I live about 40 miles away, she loves it in my village so who knows!!
Mick
A similar thing happened to a good friend of mine and his family. After initially appearing to be friendly,their next door neighbour turned out to be an evil psychopath with connections to some very bad people. He set about systematically torturing them and their two little daughters,nothing direct or provable,he operated in a very clever manner. Eventually when my mate brought in the police,they advised him that he and his family were at risk and the police couldn't protect them.
The Northern Ireland Office funded them the price of their house to move elsewhere. He and his family were traumatised by the whole affair,but moving was the only way to solve the problem.

I feel for your lady friend,it's a truly awful situation to be in.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

636mick wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:02 pm That looks good, hard work though!! What’s the plan, keeping them on show or some kind of seating or something??
Mick
Thank you, it's bloody hard work, 😁 I've been an office bod for the last 2 years so my on the tools/asbestos hands have disappeared. I'm typing this as a broken man this morning, my backs killing me and my hands are wrecked. Also lacing the gabions tight is hard work as I don't have much bulk to put any weight into it.😂

But enough of my whinging, it's looking great, well worth the effort, the rocks really show their colours when wet. I think I'll put in a little bit of seating but the rocks look so good I want to shown off (maybe something I can put on or take off for BBQ's etc). They really bring a bit of colour to the garden and during the winter months I hope it'll really brighten the place up.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Been out round the peaks with a few chaps from the bike club.

Lots of bikes out, usually every other bike I see is a BMW GS, however it seems they've all been replaced by orange bikes with funny headlamps.

When did all the BMW's turn into KTM's?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It was yesterday, but I took myin-laws out for a drive. M-i-L hasn't left the house since March and was getting "fed up of these 4 walls". It was windy but sunny so I put the roof down and head off to Southend-on-Sea. Took a very long way there round side streets so my wife and her Mum could have a nose at the houses etc. No I dont know why they love this so much but they do.

Sarfend was heaving. There was even people swimming in the murky looking water! Loads of groups of bikers there and families enjoying all Sarfend has to offer. Some people observing social distancing and others blissfully unaware of it, but it was nice to see a bit of life going on.

On teh way back we pulled int a big Weatherspoons thinking if we can find a isolated table we could order using the app and keep safe. Nochance. The palce was rammed. Headed to our local which looked empty, so in we went! Well the ladies sat in the beer garden and the F-i-L and i went into the pub to get the drinks. Strict 2 meter spacing in a one way system past the bar. Also I had to give my name, email and phone number.2 pints of draught Stella went down more than well. :D
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today I attended my "Ordinands Day" remotely. Went well. Then headed out to the "old house" to collect the chimney pot the wife wants to keep for plants and let the estate agent in to take photos, measure up and all that is required.

All happening now. The "For Sale" sign goes up tomorrow and it will be on the market from tomorrow. Just waiting for the EPC company to contact me so that i can get the certificate sorted.

This afternoon I go back to collect two scaffold boards the wife wants to keep and I can use them to block the fence where foxy woxy is trying to get in.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Replaced a couple of ceramic glands on the kitchen taps. The drip was driving her indoors crazy and I've been a bit slow getting around to the job,mainly because I needed to take one out and get a match for the splines. No one wanted to be without water for an hour. :roll:

Took the bike for a little run for about an hour too. It's been pissing here for about a week and today looks like the only dry one for another while,so nice to turn the wheels.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

My daughter and I motorcycled to Canterbury today. Visited the cathedral and then had a fishfinger sandwich and a half of Doom bar. Then to Whitstabel before heading home. Car fire on the M25 made it interesting. Great to do something with my daughter. We've just had our Normandy war graves trip cancelled so this was a little day out to make up for it.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

1888 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 pm
1888 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm Put Diesel in a petrol car. She is no happy and neither is the car
And fixed it :lol:
She’s under the patio?
David

Post by David »

Nidge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:27 am
1888 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 pm
1888 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:37 pm Put Diesel in a petrol car. She is no happy and neither is the car
And fixed it :lol:
She’s under the patio?
How do get a car under the patio?
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Just awarded myself the Muppet of the Week award.
Went to the Barbers for my 5 o'clock appointment.
Nobby, they said , today's the 7th.
Me. Yeah, that's right , I've got a text to confirm. ........here it is.......er,........Ill come back Thursday then.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Did more clearing in the house, unpacking boxes, sorted out the TV, retuned it, better signal out here as higher up. Then phoned again about the boiler. Engineer turned up around 5pm and goes, it is under warranty, nothing I can do. But he did contact the office to tell them to contact Worcester Bosch to get them out to sort it tomorrow. So hopefully we will, a week on, have hot water again. Just as well I am not meeting with people at the moment, but my wife has to have cold showers!

Booked car in for Aircon regas tomorrow and to have a CAT1 Thatcham alarm fitted on Friday. The later gives me a fob to unlock/lock the car remotely, so a nice addition to the rather basic functionality. The local place is also well recommended and not overly expensive either, competitive pricing, which helps.

In another world, I told an Ebay person that offering 1/2 of the value of the car is not exactly going to work and that I would also not drive it 130 miles to delivery it FOC. I am nice, but simply don't have that much time on hand!

I think I've priced it competively, but hey ho, it is a buyers market at the moment!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Today I tried to find a Post office that was actually open and able to send a small parcel for me. I know Ive been shut in for a while, but how the fuck do people post stuff now? :roll:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yodel and Hermes come pick it up from your door and deliver it for half the price the PO will if you take it to them.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:36 pm Yodel and Hermes come pick it up from your door and deliver it for half the price the PO will if you take it to them.
If only my printer worked...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

chillitt wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:50 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:36 pm Yodel and Hermes come pick it up from your door and deliver it for half the price the PO will if you take it to them.
If only my printer worked...
The Yodel man will print the label for you, I dunno about Hermes, but I'd imagine so.
MingtheMerciless

New front wall. I now need new hands I've got so many blisters.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've struck gold here and got into a great set of mates. I love it when they come round here to use my garage and tools. Bob came round today with his 1299 Panigale. He built the garage, so always a pleasure to help him.

We're off away for a long weekend and he wanted to fit one of them upright rack systems. We pushed and pulled but the bugger would not fit. It was supposed to fit into the exhaust bends bolts under seat and the pillion bolts in same place. Eventually we decided it needed new holes drilled in the brackets. It was toughened steel and no go with drill :(

Cold beer was drunk.

So I got the angle grinder out and we decided that we could persuade the brackets to fit. He attacked the whilst I fashioned a small bracket to cover the bodge and sprayed it black.

It all worked and he went away a happy boy.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Beer. Panigale. Angle grinder. What could go wrong?! :lol:
MingtheMerciless

Outside table for the BBQ built, wheelbarrowed about 250kg of spare stone from the drive the back garden and dragged another 250kg of stone in its bag up the drive into a corner with the assistance of next doors builders who took pity on me and helped. It's now raining so rain has stopped play.

"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Rode from Guildford to Bristol and back again. Wrung the MT09's neck a couple of times on some sort stretches of dual carriageway. :thumbup: