Camper Van Conversion

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Druid

Re: Camper Van Conversion

Post by Druid »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:55 pm Went out with the SiL yesterday to have a look at a VW T28 HiLine 2017. Not LWB or high roof, so will need a pop top and to stand upright in and any bed will need to be moveble, possibly a rock and roll bed.
It has only done just over 18K miles but looking at the wear on the gear lever and steering wheel I suspect its all been round town. Yellow engine warning light was on which I suspect is the DPF filter from miles chugging around town. Price is £18,000 +vat. I suspect making an offer won't be entertained. Two other ones we were going to see, had sold before we even had chance to view them.
VW Transporters are expensive, there's a brand surcharge that is not related to their capabilities, similar to Harleys. Similar spec Vitos, Renault Trafic, Transit are at least £5K cheaper, and they all have more room inside. Even VW Crafters are cheaper thought it's harder to find such low mileage examples. Of course they will also be worth less when you come to sell them...

I'm with 1888 regarding size, you don't need a huge motorhome to be comfortable, a small van and an awning is plenty big enough. Makes parking on the street in London easier too, and using it for daily transport becomes a possibility
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:30 pm
GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:55 pm Went out with the SiL yesterday to have a look at a VW T28 HiLine 2017. Not LWB or high roof, so will need a pop top and to stand upright in and any bed will need to be moveble, possibly a rock and roll bed.
It has only done just over 18K miles but looking at the wear on the gear lever and steering wheel I suspect its all been round town. Yellow engine warning light was on which I suspect is the DPF filter from miles chugging around town. Price is £18,000 +vat. I suspect making an offer won't be entertained. Two other ones we were going to see, had sold before we even had chance to view them.
You and the wife go live in the bathroom for a week. Then you'll see what a tiny van is like.
Agreed.

If you're only going to warmer climes abroad, then a small van just becomes your bedroom as most of your living is done outside, but in the UK you really need more inside space. Its the same argument with caravans, the smaller they are the easier they are to get round little town and villages and easier to park etc, but once onsite the bigger the better and that's where it counts.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I tried to steer him away from VWs, to a Transit via a Merc Sprinter but he has ruled transits out straight away. He likes the Hiline with ally wheels, adaptive cruise control and air con, as it will also be their family car. Daughter is insisting on air con which is fair enough. If I can find a transit with all the above and not white that might help. What doesn't help is that their friends have just brought a new F Type Jag, which is a bit of a contrast to them getting a secondhand work vehicle.
twids

Post by twids »

We've just converted a 2019 Transit, way better spec than VW transporters and about 10k less. The 10k paid for the conversion. We got aircon, heated seats, electric everything and there are plenty of them 2nd hand in a metallic grey colour.

As we're keeping it for the long term we're not worried about residual versus a VW.

We took a crew can insulated and lined it. Rock and roll beds, diesel heater, leisure battery, electric hook up and solar panels and a pop-top roof.

We can also remove the seats easily and use it as van which was a selling point over a dedicated camper.

Last edited by twids on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

twids wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:32 pm We've just converted a 2019 Transit, way better spec than VW transporters and about 10k less. The 10k paid for the conversion. We got aircon, heated seats, electric everything and there are plenty of them 2nd hand in a metallic grey colour.

As we're keeping it for the long term we're not worried about residual versus a VW.

We took a crew can insulated and lined it. Rock and roll beds, diesel heater, leisure battery, electric hook up and solar panels and a pop-top roof.

We can also remove the seats easily and use it as van which was a selling point over a dedicated camper.

What model transit? I've been looking at "Custom" which seem to have the extras they want. I've sent him a link to one I've found nearby. His budget is about £25K all in so the cheaper he can get the van the more he has for kitting it out. He is now looking at getting it fitted out professionally (for speed) which eats into his budget. he's also talking about doing it a bit at a time, bed and windows one year, pop top and heater the next.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

twids wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:32 pm We've just converted a 2019 Transit, way better spec than VW transporters and about 10k less. The 10k paid for the conversion. We got aircon, heated seats, electric everything and there are plenty of them 2nd hand in a metallic grey colour.

Can't see pic :(
twids

Post by twids »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:42 pm What model transit? I've been looking at "Custom" which seem to have the extras they want. I've sent him a link to one I've found nearby. His budget is about £25K all in so the cheaper he can get the van the more he has for kitting it out. He is now looking at getting it fitted out professionally (for speed) which eats into his budget. he's also talking about doing it a bit at a time, bed and windows one year, pop top and heater the next.
It's a Transit Custom, SWB, Limited (spec), 2.0L eco blue which means it's ulez? compliant.
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

As has been mentioned, VW carry a premium price for quite a bit less spec.
Just get a Sprinter. Bomb proof and you can get spares easily all over europe/world.
A good design with a fold out bed should fit your needs.
As for europe travels. France has the brilliant aires system and France Passion. Germany has the stellplatz. Park4nite has everything else.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Sil has put a deposite on the VW TD30 Trendline in black, it's got AC and cruise control which was the basic requirements. No satnav or alloy wheels. Think he might be paying to have it converted, but I think we should remove the bulkhead and linings ourselves to save a bit of money and sell the bits he does'nt need. I would be prepared to fit side windows (I think) but not a pop top. I would also give the insulation and lining ago. I used to have a Morris minor van when I was 18 and I lined all that out.
Gets it delivered in a couple of weeks. Told him I'll take a week off to help strip it as i have no other holiday plans.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Bulkhead is worth nothing, I can't give mine away.
Take the ply lining out carefully so you can use it as a template.
I used Kingspan insulation, the 25mm stuff is as much as you need, two or three sheets should be enough for a Transporter
Fit a vapour barrier between the insulation and the lining
4 way stretch carpet is easy to apply and gives a really good finish
It's scary when you start cutting out large sheets of metal from the side of your van, but it's actually quite easy to fit windows.

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If you top bits out, won't that put future buyers off?