The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Cousin Jack

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Cousin Jack »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:22 pm Want a watch with a GP paint job?

Moto Culture got you covered.

https://motoculture.co.uk/shop

I think #4 is the least worst. Who doesn't like Yamaha Speedblock?

I was surprised to see they've got Seiko movements rather than Chinese.
If you want a fancy-paint Seiko try this one.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... beatmaker/

I have one on order!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:22 pm Want a watch with a GP paint job?

Moto Culture got you covered.

https://motoculture.co.uk/shop

I think #4 is the least worst. Who doesn't like Yamaha Speedblock?

I was surprised to see they've got Seiko movements rather than Chinese.
If you want a fancy-paint Seiko try this one.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/ ... beatmaker/

I have one on order!
Happy new watch!

I’m a big seiko fan but I’ve always stayed away from the 5 series for some reason.

There are some lovely new Prospexes about to hit the market though... :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

For those that are looking for a good service/repair agent Ive recently used this company - https://www.tictocman.com/

Shit name I know but very good service.

Sent them my Omega Seamaster for a new bezel as I'd twatted it on the side of the house and scraped it pretty badly. They spoke to Omega (they are an authorised agent) and managed to get the bezel replaced FOC under warranty due to it being faded (21 years old!) despite my damage. Only charged me fitting which was very reasonable.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I haven't paid any attention to watches for a couple of months, but I had a check today and according to the tracking site my watches have gone up between 20-55%, there is one that has gone up 187% but that's an outlier.

Quick check on the forums and people are struggling to get any stainless steel Rolex or Patek watches, common response from dealers seems to be a 3-5yr waiting list, so that should keep values high.

I suppose the trick is knowing when interest rates will increase to a decent rate and then to sell them just before that happens.
My 5711 is never getting sold, it's my daily wearer and I can't ever imagine being willing to part with it.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Just checked on mine.

My Seamaster is up 285% but I did buy it 21 years ago when prices were mega-low and my Sub is up 30%

If I could get anything near RRP I'd be throwing my money their way.....
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Seiko Mods have just launched their configurator for anyone wanting to build their own, if'n you have a movement laying around;
https://www.seikomods.com/?gclid=CjwKCA ... acQAvD_BwE
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:29 am

Honestly, he doesn't give a shit, he cares not a jot for material things, he's never coveted them because since he was born we've always been able to have them if we wanted. Him and his mates don't wear designer stuff, it's just whatever shorts and t-shirt come to hand, they could all have whatever they want (within reason) so that latest fashion competition thing you get with most kids in the UK just doesn't exist here.
Children are such a disappointment. :(
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Cool little app for the watch nerds;
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .app&gl=GB
Although may be worth bearing in mind the magnets in your phone when using it
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:44 pm I haven't paid any attention to watches for a couple of months, but I had a check today and according to the tracking site my watches have gone up between 20-55%, there is one that has gone up 187% but that's an outlier.

Quick check on the forums and people are struggling to get any stainless steel Rolex or Patek watches, common response from dealers seems to be a 3-5yr waiting list, so that should keep values high.

I suppose the trick is knowing when interest rates will increase to a decent rate and then to sell them just before that happens.
My 5711 is never getting sold, it's my daily wearer and I can't ever imagine being willing to part with it.
I had,'t looked at the tracker for a couple of months, suddenly found that apparently (according to MyChrono) my old 1979 stainless Rolex oyster datejust with stainless fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet seems to have nearly doubled in value in 3 months, can this be true?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Zimbo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:44 pm I haven't paid any attention to watches for a couple of months, but I had a check today and according to the tracking site my watches have gone up between 20-55%, there is one that has gone up 187% but that's an outlier.

I had,'t looked at the tracker for a couple of months, suddenly found that apparently (according to MyChrono) my old 1979 stainless Rolex oyster datejust with stainless fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet seems to have nearly doubled in value in 3 months, can this be true?
Wouldn't be surprised in the least, demand is very high at the moment. My Sub is knocking on 10K again, friends Daytona is well over 20k now.

I should have a new addition soon, have a Speedmaster making its way to me this week.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Stig wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:23 pm This is mine, nothing else has ever made me want a watch other than this
Tis interesting the taste in watches - the Monaco is probably the most gauche watch I have ever seen. It scares me that I nearly bought one!

I consulted the wife - who has way better taste than me - she just laughed!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I quite like the Monaco. I wouldn't describe it as Gauche - it's certainly it's own thing though, I'll give it that. I'm thinking I might buy one for my 40th in a few year's time. Or I might not.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Zimbo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm
AFAIK C24 goes on sales, the algorithm looks at what things have actually sold for and they know the actual price because they do an escrow type transaction so it looks like prices have made another big jump.

My wife's 2007 Yachtmaster has never been worth more than we paid until the last 3-4 months, it's been trading steadily at slightly less than we paid for over a decade and now that's also shot up by 21%. I thought I'd misread it when I saw the prices of them.

New Rolex watches are becoming unobtainable, so even though I've spent quite a lot with the dealer here I still can't get a stainless Sub for my lads 18th - which might actually be fate because he said he didn't want one, so I'm going to take him shopping over the next couple of weeks and see if he likes a Speedy or Seamaster.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

so I'm going to take him shopping over the next couple of weeks and see if he likes a Speedy or Seamaster.
The last of the hesalite speedys are kicking around now so might be worth grabbing one, if only because the boxes are a lot nicer!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Took delivery of a used Speedy, I know its not a Moonwatch but a simple clean looking daily wearer....
Screenshot_20211023-125456_Chrono24.jpg
Screenshot_20211023-125456_Chrono24.jpg (467.84 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

I fancy a Broad Arrow titanium speedy, we were going to look at some last night but we never got around to it.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Is that a whole Titanium case, or just the edges of the bracelet?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've had the offer of a CK2998 Speedmaster on the table for a while, sorely tempted. Tried to resist but struggling :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am Is that a whole Titanium case, or just the edges of the bracelet?

Apparently it's all titanium, the case and strap.
That's why I fancy it, I've stopped wearing my stainless watches and even changed the direction of my collection because if it's hot I get an irritation* from the metal (I think it's nickel) so I have to wear white/yellow gold, rubber or titanium.

* I had a bike crash years ago and there is a lot of scar tissue on the underside of my wrist where the bones came out and I needed a graft and that's where the stainless steel gets me, it's fine on the top of my wrist.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Ti is really good for that. Mrs D has metal allergy too, pretty much any form of stainless gives her a reaction. That's why she has titanium engagement and wedding rings.

I have the same wedding ring design as her, but in solid Zirconium. I partly chose that cause it should be OK even if I develop allergies later in life.