Do fuel stabilizers work

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Mr Moofo

Do fuel stabilizers work

Post by Mr Moofo »

My old 900 Speed triple seems to have becoem sensitive to petrol going off. It has been an issue - but gummed up the carbs last winter. Having spent enough I want to protect against that happening.
There is no easy way of draining the 3 carbs, other than take the vacuum pipe off and run the carbs until they are empty. WHich means body work off, tank off etc
The other suggestion is rin 2 lt of Aspen fuel through it.

As I use only Esso SuperUnleaded, does something like Sta-Bil help with stopping fuel go off - or is it snake oil?

Thanks
MrLongbeard

Re: Do fuel stabilizers work

Post by MrLongbeard »

I use it, does it work? dunno but I'd sooner gamble that it does than not use it
mangocrazy

Re: Do fuel stabilizers work

Post by mangocrazy »

I'd say a qualified yes, they do work, but it all depends how long you leave them I think. I'd say 6 months is tops, and preferably less. I'd be draining the tank and putting in a couple of litres of Aspen fuel AND use a fuel stabiliser.

It's a bit poor that the Speedy doesn't have drain plugs on the carbs. When leaving the VFR over winter at the French gaff I put fuel stabiliser in the tank, take the old girl for a short run, then drain the carbs using the screws thoughtfully provided by Mr Honda, even if they are an absolute pain to get at.

The Falco just gets fuel stabiliser in the tank and a short run and it's always been fine, but there is far less to gum up on a fuel-injected bike I guess.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.