Current Affairs/Politics/etc.... Comeback or keep it binned ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss

Current Affairs section/threads

Leave them off/closed and keep the discussion away from the forum
30%
Freedom of speech and discussion, bring it all back.
70%

Total votes: 37

weeksy
Site Admin

Current Affairs/Politics/etc.... Comeback or keep it binned ?

Post by weeksy »

So i've got my own opinions on this stuff but i've always said that it's OUR site not mine...

So i'll go with how the forum decides we go.

Simple choice really. Keep politics/affairs/etc off the board or bring it back ... That's it...

You can use this thread to discuss the what/why etc as well if you like
MrLongbeard

Re: Current Affairs/Politics/etc.... Comeback or keep it binned ?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Bring it back gets my vote, but dust off the ban hammer for those that can't play nicely with others.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I suggest a happy/funny news story thread in General.

And revert back to the other one in the Current Affairs section. But no fighting and throwing poo.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Depends really on whether or not people can actually play nicely, and if not, does that cause the mods too much hassle?

Discussing the politics of the day would seem like a thing we should be able to do, but letting it descend into unpleasantness is what we don't want.

I guess that it relies on the participants being able to moderate their own behaviour and reactions, so the question is : can we be be trusted to do that? Some can, some can't, but you can't have a "two-tier" forum where only some people are allowed to post their thoughts (realistically speaking).

I'm glad personally that it's not my decision to make to be quite frank, and I don't envy you the dilemma. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:47 am Depends really on whether or not people can actually play nicely, and if not, does that cause the mods too much hassle?

Discussing the politics of the day would seem like a thing we should be able to do, but letting it descend into unpleasantness is what we don't want.

I guess that it relies on the participants being able to moderate their own behaviour and reactions, so the question is : can we be be trusted to do that? Some can, some can't, but you can't have a "two-tier" forum where only some people are allowed to post their thoughts (realistically speaking).

I'm glad personally that it's not my decision to make to be quite frank, and I don't envy you the dilemma. :(
It's not a question of how much hassle it causes, it's minutes to delete posts etc not hours. It's more the ill feeling and angst on the forum i don't like, the bitterness, the anger and the abuse. I've always tried to make/keep this a friendly place and space and a safe fun space for people to come and visit. Of course it can't always be flowers and rainbows, i do get that... but to try is what i have set out to do.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

What Mr.LB said in post #2 :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:35 am I suggest a happy/funny news story thread in General.

And revert back to the other one in the Current Affairs section. But no fighting and throwing poo.
For once I concur with you. Open it back up, but moderate it with an iron fist. There is no place for name-calling on this site.

As I recall, the 'In Today's News' thread was a collection of light-hearted news snippets, until it got overrun with US political rants. Bring it back, I say. I love a story about a cat stuck up a tree being rescued by a passing albatross.

Wankers
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'd keep it closed for another month in the vain hope that the few that only seem to come on here to broadcast their fixed opinions and argue rather than discuss/debate (or insult instead of either) forget we're here. :thumbup:

(But, I don't really mind either way as long as failure to play nicely = a swift hoof in the stones). :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

It's an important part of freedom of speech and expression of personal beliefs.

For that reason, keep it canned :D

FWIW, I haven't really missed it.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:13 am FWIW, I haven't really missed it.
but but but, monkey pox, super gonorrhea and a yacht sinking have passed us by :shhh:
Felix

Post by Felix »

The options are dont go into the post if you dont like the discussion. I dont see why folk pop in and complain. You even gave the hide the section option yet they still come to try and wind people up. Im sure they enjoy poking the hornets nest.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I'd like it back. But I can tell you don't enjoy the content and having to look after it Weeksy; so would completely understand if you didn't bring it back regardless of the poll outcome.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Certain folks can't play nice - and have made it a sport.
I would say "no" , as they will do exactly the same.

The other option is to permenantly banned various people.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Bring it back- it's in a self-contained area, the locking of threads / that section has to date always been load of fuss about nothing IMO and the site is a far duller place for not having it.
Although I almost never contribute in that area, some of the posts in there have caused me to research subjects I'd previously not really known much, or even nothing about, and as a result I've learned stuff I otherwise wouldn't have known.

I've also found that even if you're not interested in the subject matter that's being discussed/ argued about in there, the discussion/argument can make some of the threads the most entertaining ones on the site, and you can often learn a fair bit about posters too :)

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:16 am The options are dont go into the post if you dont like the discussion. I dont see why folk pop in and complain. You even gave the hide the section option yet they still come to try and wind people up. Im sure they enjoy poking the hornets nest.
Spot on :thumbup:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Felix wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:16 am The options are dont go into the post if you dont like the discussion. I dont see why folk pop in and complain. You even gave the hide the section option yet they still come to try and wind people up. Im sure they enjoy poking the hornets nest.
Because they like being trolls. It's not the subject matter - just a greater need for anonymous attention. It's wierd
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well at 5-10 votes as of now, i don't see the 'keep it binned' option making that much of a come-back.

So on your heads be it... the forum and topics have been unlocked again and are open for posting.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:38 am Well at 5-10 votes as of now, i don't see the 'keep it binned' option making that much of a come-back.

So on your heads be it... the forum and topics have been unlocked again and are open for posting.
Fair enough - but I think it should be moderated with little leeway
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:40 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:38 am Well at 5-10 votes as of now, i don't see the 'keep it binned' option making that much of a come-back.

Fair enough - but I think it should be moderated with little leeway
I've never once told the Mods how to do their jobs and have always backed their decisions. :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

As an example,I frequent a particular guitar forum the odd time and the moderation leaves no room for doubt.

ANY POST CONTAINING A POLITICIAN BY NAME OR IN AM IMAGE -- EVEN AS A JOKE -- WILL BE REMOVED AS A POLITICAL POST.
Please do not post on subjects such as Divorce, Spouse Abuse, Family Fighting, Addictions, Sexual Identity, Transgender, Psychological, Mental Heath, STDs, Sexual Dysfunction, Bankruptcy, Credit Worthiness, Eviction or other subjects of a sensitive and intimate nature.

Don't try to get by the word censor by using #@%$!^ instead of swear words. Excessive swearing (censored or not) will not be allowed.

They do however (being septic based) allow pics of guns and discussion of weapons. You'll cop an instant ban for even questioning the need for guns. That comes under trolling. :lol:

Having said all that,the dynamic here is different. For a start the forum isn't run by redneck god botherers,so we are pretty much free to talk about whatever we fancy.
No one here can complain about excessive moderation,there's a fairly long leash. We can moderate our conduct and manner from person to person in our daily lives,so why the fuck do we need to be told how to behave when scribbling online?

With this freedom of expression comes the responsibility of behaving like an adult. Adults will listen to other opinions and decide for themselves if there is credibility. This usually works fine when face to face with someone and folk don't usually be quick to get up in anyone's face over a difference of opinion. Online is different. It only takes one comment to begin the escalation which inevitably brings us to where we are. Again. And again.
I don't think I've ever read a fiery 'debate' that concluded with one side agreeing they were wrong and thanking the other side for enlightening them. To get angry because someone disagrees with you,or get frustrated you can't change their opinion by proselyting further is futile online,yet at times we all try to cure perceived stupidity. It will never work.

I rarely participate in the current affairs section,but I like the fact it exists for those who enjoy debating the topics.
The other sections of the forum add depth and colour to RTTL. I'm as much of a dyed in the wool bike freak as anyone,but have you ever been to a bike meet where that's all some people talk about? It's very one dimensional and it wears me out eventually,so I itch to get away asap.
I believe we need topic diversity to flesh out the people behind the avatars and not to be just banging on about one subject until it's arse is hanging in tatters.

All the above is well and good,but ultimately the onus lies with the individual poster. Do you want to visit a site where a debate gone wrong carries bitterness and sniping over into all aspects of the forum? A lot of that was funny when we all were young on Visordown,but it's beyond silly and tedious for the mostly middle aged folk we are now.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

These are dangerous times. Just for daring to express an opinion, you can be jailed for years!

OTOH, it's fairly obvious the forum has died a death since removing the ability to discuss important matters.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato