Anything you like about motorbikes
kendo57

Starting a bike from cold

Post by kendo57 »

I like the bit when he knocks the ice from the exhaust

The Spin Doctor

Re: Starting a bike from cold

Post by The Spin Doctor »

The joys of an MZ... a couple of kicks and it starts. Not sure I'd be hitting the clocks with a hammer, even if they were covered in ice.

Brings back a memory of digging my CB400-F and my girlfriend's T100S out of a snowdrift 2000 metres up at the top of a Swiss pass... would have been 1980 I think.

Trying to get back to Germany the prevous evening we were hours late and the rain turned to sleet and then to snow as we climbed the pass in the dark. With the snow getting ever-thicker on the road surface we'd abandoned out attempt to get over it, but hadn't realised we were at the hospice at the top. They'd officially closed that day and turned off the heating but the staff opened up a room over the kitchens, found us some ham and eggs to cook us omelettes, and cracked open the cellar.

Next morning, it was a beautiful cloudless sunny vista. Stunningly beautiful and the only part of the bike I could see was the tops of the mirrors, so I borrowed a shovel and starting digging. The snow plough came through mid-morning, the sun melted the residual snow on the surface in an hour, so we loaded up and set off...

...or rather Alix could have done. Almost predictably, the ruddy Triumph which broke down about once a day on average, started first kick. The Honda which had only ever let me down once, equally predictably refused to start.

Well, it was all downhill, so I pushed it out of the car park and rolled off down the hill, dropping the clutch at intervals to try to bump start it. It finally fired up halfway down the mountain!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Crikey.

There is something about an MZ, isn't there?

But what's wit the clocks. Is the left hand one missing? It looks like a cup holder, and he just attacks it with a hammer!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Trogladyte wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 pm Crikey.

There is something about an MZ, isn't there?

But what's wit the clocks. Is the left hand one missing? It looks like a cup holder, and he just attacks it with a hammer!
It's a bollock holder for when they freeze off.