Metisse Motorcycles

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Metisse Motorcycles

Post by KungFooBob »

Watching that annoying Henry Cole bloke on Worlds Greatest Motorcycles Rides....

South Africa on a McQueen Replica Metisse.

Now the bike he's on has a re-con classic Trumpet motor, but on checking out the Metisse website, they build bikes with their own in house engine, the Adelaide.

Looks a lot like a modern bonny bottom end with a double overhead cam head.

http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/moto ... afe-racer/

Nice looking thing in cafe racer spec. Another to add to the Lotto winning list.

KungFooBob

Re: Metisse Motorcycles

Post by KungFooBob »

Engine Configuration: Air cooled parallel V twin.

Erm.
Skub

Post by Skub »

inewham wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 pm Metisse frames are gorgeous but thats one fugly engine
Yeah,the fins are very 'busy' looking and the radiator kind of adds to the eye hurt. I'd like to see it with 20 million less fins.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

They're claiming 97bhp.

From an air cooled 1000cc twin.

That'll need ALOT of cooling.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I just feel like they're a fail tbh.
The Metisse bikes came about the same way that most specials did, because improvements needed to be made on factory bikes that were a compromise of performance/handling/price.

But these new ones seem to be going in the opposite direction, they're a compromise with form as the priority.
I generally like retro bikes, e.g. I really like the Paton, not enough to spend £30k+, but at least they're performance orientated whilst managing to capture the same kind of retro feel (IMHO anyway).

In my view, if bikes aren't better than the originals by a margin big enough to make me notice, whilst still maintaining the original philosophy, then I'd rather have an old one and live with it. I'm struggling to see anything in that Metisse other than a lash-up to appeal to people that think entirely differently to me.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the one Henry rode in Oz looked absolutely epic ! It was honestly a lovely machine to me and the sort of thing i'd LOVE to have in the garage.

But i'm not convinced i'd want to ever take it out the garage based upon his experiences.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I think these things are made to be investments or toys for those with a shitload of disposable income, 30k is a lot of coin to find for something that would be most likely slower th.an an old CBR600.

it is pretty, but the engine lets it down a bit.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Two things would concern me about them. Firstly I know the ECU has problems ( a friend of mine who’s business is setting up race electronics for race cars/bikes was asked to try and match the unit to the engines spent ages trying to solve fuelling and ignition problems on them - not sure if he was ever happy) and secondly the owner of Metisse had 4 other companies that have recently gone into administration (including the golf club where the factory is located) and I wouldn’t be surprised if the bikes business was next