Isle of Wight TT

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Isle of Wight TT

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick

Re: Isle of Wight TT

Post by Yorick »

After the Brands finale means October. Shit weather and not tempting for a holiday.
Horse

Post by Horse »

I've never been to the IoM, so have nothing to compare, but that coastal road section was bloomin' bumpy the last time I was there.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am After the Brands finale means October. Shit weather and not tempting for a holiday.
So reproducing the IoM fairly closely.
All it need sis rubbish food and overpriced accommodation and it will be the real thing.

And the IoW ferry to start charging 500 quid for a return ticket ...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:12 am And the IoW ferry to start charging 500 quid for a return ticket ...
Isn't it* already the most expensive £perMile ferry in the UK?

* Yes, I know there are several** routes

** One for Y: "What's brown and smelly and comes out of the back end of Cowes***?"

*** Works 'better'**** when spoken rather than written

**** Relative to some of Y's jokes :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Looks a bit smoother.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Plater did a similar video for the Welsh TT course thing, whatever happened to that?
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am Plater did a similar video for the Welsh TT course thing, whatever happened to that?
It folded over costs and the difficulties of insuring it, as I suspect this will.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Shame, I thought the Welsh one was more doable as it used mainly military roads and didn't pass through any residential areas.

I guess the success of this one depends on how much money the Isle of Wight tourist board have to throw at it, it has potential to be a pretty good money spinner for them. Once you're on an island you're kind of a captive audience and it'll extend their tourist season by an extra week or two.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

If I wanted to attract motorcyclists I wouldn't put on race on public roads in October, I'd get an old airfield, set up a drag strip and let anyone have a go for £25, I'd have a stage with some rock bands, beer, food and camping, basically a sort of motorcycle Glastonbury.

And most of important of all, I'd put it on when the weather is nice, now if I could only think of a suitable venue between Britain's two biggest cities, somewhere just of a main road like the A6, near Northampton would be good.
Honda Owner
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am Shame, I thought the Welsh one was more doable as it used mainly military roads and didn't pass through any residential areas.

I guess the success of this one depends on how much money the Isle of Wight tourist board have to throw at it, it has potential to be a pretty good money spinner for them. Once you're on an island you're kind of a captive audience and it'll extend their tourist season by an extra week or two.
I agree the Welsh one would certainly have been more straightforward to have run, and I believe the area could have been fenced off to charge people admission. Perhaps the problem was that spectators wouldn't have paid enough to cover the costs, whereas the IoW may be hoping to attract people over for more than just a one-day event and as you say extend their holiday season. Still think it's not going to be as easy as it sounds, but if it does go ahead that's one hat I'll be delighted to eat.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm not sure that there are enough motorcyclists to pull big crowds anymore, with the exception of the IOM TT every event I've attended over the last few years has been a shadow of what they used to be - and I haven't been to the IOM for ten years so that might be down on numbers for all I know.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm If I wanted to attract motorcyclists I wouldn't put on race on public roads in October, I'd get an old airfield, set up a drag strip and let anyone have a go for £25, I'd have a stage with some rock bands, beer, food and camping, basically a sort of motorcycle Glastonbury.
You've just described the Bulldog Bash- shame it longer happens
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Iom campsites have got quieter over recent years...With steam packet prices, more pay to spectate area's popping up, its all got a bit much for some folk, me included.
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm If I wanted to attract motorcyclists I wouldn't put on race on public roads in October, I'd get an old airfield, set up a drag strip and let anyone have a go for £25, I'd have a stage with some rock bands, beer, food and camping, basically a sort of motorcycle Glastonbury.
I know, though I was actually thinking of the old Ultimate Streetbike races that used to be at Santa Pod and Long Marston, Long Marston where they had the Bulldog Bash is now a housing estate, but Santa Pod is still going.
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:33 am
Nidge wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am
I know, though I was actually thinking of the old Ultimate Streetbike races that used to be at Santa Pod and Long Marston, Long Marston where they had the Bulldog Bash is now a housing estate, but Santa Pod is still going.
Sadly, not the only place that's gone that way, possibly due to lack of interest (reduction in number and type of riders). The BMF Show (and Memba Rally) used to pull in something like 60k people over a weekend.

For work I sometimes use off-road areas. Access to them is reducing, with Heyford Park, Longcross and Dunsfold all threatened by housing and industrial development. Bruntingthorpe now being restricted, I can't use it. Others have gone too.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

What's happened to Bruntingthorpe? I've had many a happy (track) day there.

I'd be temped by the IoW road race; but with all digits crossed for the weather!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:12 pm What's happened to Bruntingthorpe? I've had many a happy (track) day there.

I'd be temped by the IoW road race; but with all digits crossed for the weather!
Through the last few years it's been used for all sorts*, including car storage. However, it's recently changed owners and it was announced that they are restricting use. That includes an eviction notice for the various historic aircraft.

There's a thread on TRC. I guess search will find it even after Saturday.

The more I think about it ...
Driver training
Aircraft museum, with taxi demo runs
Aircraft breaking
Car storage
Vehicle testing
Exhibitions
Off-road construction vehicle (ie big diggers) training
Experimental vehicle trials
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Thanks, now I've seen the petition and this sad news:
Oliver Burden wrote: "Please note that, following an acquisition of C.Walton Ltd by Cox Automotive, the Aviation business and Cold War Jets Museum at the Bruntingthorpe site are now closed and will not re-open. Cox Automotive will be using the site to store brand-new unsold and lease-end cars on behalf of car manufacturers and fleet management companies.

#SaveBrunty
So, we're losing aviation history (irreplaceable) and a crucial vehicle testing ground, in favour of somewhere to store unsold lease-end cars :evil: