WSB, back soon, but how can it be BACK again ?

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

WSB, back soon, but how can it be BACK again ?

Post by weeksy »

Watching some WSB classics this morning and looking at the field, the depth of talent, or lack of it maybe.

But how can WSB get back to the good days of 30 bikes, with 15 of them in with a chance of a podium ? Or is it just a sad fact that's how motorsport has now gone with bikes and the money has drifted away ?

Dropping the tuning to give lower spec bikes and more competitive machines for less money ? Control tyres throughout the world so more Wildcards ?
Yorick

Re: WSB, back soon, but how can it be BACK again ?

Post by Yorick »

The first races of the season were as close as I ever remember.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm The first races of the season were as close as I ever remember.
Maybe for 2-3 bikes, but let's even be nice and say 4. But you want more than 4 in with a vague chance? The rest are a whole planet away
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looking back we tend to 'compress' our memories of lots of things. We mostly recall the good things and relegate the bad/boring. Rose tinted glasses. For example,childhood Summers were nearly always long and sunny.

Our memories of racing eras can also be less than factual. I'm pretty sure there were boring and processional races in the Foggy era,just as there are now. As Yorick said,there were plenty of blinding races in WSB 2019 and 2020 gave us an eventful start too,before the schitt kicked off.

Yes JR has been the man to beat for the last few years,but no one hands it to him on a plate and this year promises to be closely fought and hard won for whoever bags the most points.

In the Foggy era,GPs were getting a bit tired and the domination of Repsol and Micky D,made WSB shine by comparison,whereas now MotoGP is the polished jewel in the crown of bike racing,so other championships stand a little in it's shadow.

WSBK needs to be a step up from BSB in terms of tech and bike spec,so I can't see that part changing.

Anyway,lets see what the weekend brings before we write WSBK off. :mrgreen:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm The first races of the season were as close as I ever remember.
Maybe for 2-3 bikes, but let's even be nice and say 4. But you want more than 4 in with a vague chance? The rest are a whole planet away
The top 3 in each race under 0.2 seconds.Top 7 in all 3 races under 5 seconds. Not in the same order. Not too bad really
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I dont think control tyres is the issue as Pirelli supply WSB, BSB , IDM as well as a few other national championships, its more to do with electronics which is pushing out the wildcards

BSB reverted to greatly reduced electronics to reduce costs and it also helped bring the private teams up to the factory teams as they couldnt just throw money and engineers to gain performance. If WSB went that route then it might bring in the Wildcards again but as it stands just now teams would have to spend a fortune to even be on the grid as a one off

As skub said when WSB was at its peak GP racing was a struggle to muster 15-16 bikes hence the switch to 3 per row rather than 4 as it made the grids look bigger and was sold on safety grounds
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think the rights for both are owned by the same company/family?

MotoGP is prototypes and WSBK roadbikes. They both need their own USP's.

I'm a self admitted Rossi fan, but imho he single handedly saved MotoGP after the Doohan/Repsol processions, which just happened to coincide with Brits getting bored with WSBK when Foggy retired.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I don't remember it being this close at the top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Supe ... ampionship
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 pm which just happened to coincide with Brits getting bored with WSBK when Foggy retired.
Look at the race wins this year. It was a fun year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Supe ... ampionship
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

WSB was originally set up as a rival to GP, and they allowed all sorts of bike work to be done, which of course pushed up the costs and discouraged the privateers. I've been saying for some time they need to run it to superstock rules, and with Dorna running it and wanting to differentiate it from GP what better time? 100% standard homologated engines and minimal chassis mods (change exhausts, suspension, race bodywork only). That would make it far more approachable to smaller teams and if the bikes are a second a lap slower who cares. 1000cc, 600cc and 300cc classes and a set of support races - Moto3, classics, one-make series etc. Gotta be a winner.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Tomcat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 pm WSB was originally set up as a rival to GP, and they allowed all sorts of bike work to be done, which of course pushed up the costs and discouraged the privateers. I've been saying for some time they need to run it to superstock rules, and with Dorna running it and wanting to differentiate it from GP what better time? 100% standard homologated engines and minimal chassis mods (change exhausts, suspension, race bodywork only). That would make it far more approachable to smaller teams and if the bikes are a second a lap slower who cares. 1000cc, 600cc and 300cc classes and a set of support races - Moto3, classics, one-make series etc. Gotta be a winner.
I'm with TC on this one it will also mean the top teams in BSB could stand a chance of affording / getting sponsorship to do the world championship
The other problem is that Sports bikes are losing popularity so there's less tribal support for each Marque.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

G.P wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm The other problem is that Sports bikes are losing popularity so there's less tribal support for each Marque.
Make it a cruiser championship that'd sort em out.

Superbike racing started In the USA, and up to 1985ish the bikes started off as at best sports-tourers, anyone who's ridden a late 70s superbike will confirm that this is a generous description, big bikes of the time were softer than touring bikes are now. The 1985 GSXR750 changed superbike racing, it was the first big bike which was a road legal race bike, and superbikes went steadily more race worthy from there.

Perhaps there have to be rules where the bike has to have more power than the rolling chassis can handle
Last edited by Le_Fromage_Grande on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

In some ways it would be absolutely brilliant to see something like an Aprilia Tuono V4, 1290 Superduke, Z1000SX, Speed Triple (whatever the big one is), MT-10, all going hammer and tongs at it around Cadwell in a Naked WSN series... that would be EPIC !
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm In some ways it would be absolutely brilliant to see something like an Aprilia Tuono V4, 1290 Superduke, Z1000SX, Speed Triple (whatever the big one is), MT-10, all going hammer and tongs at it around Cadwell in a Naked WSN series... that would be EPIC !
So long as they're all on Maxxis Super Diamond tyres, 3 laps in the tyres would overheat and the bikes would be sideways everywhere.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Top 10 covered by half a second in FP1

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news ... d-in-spain
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

FP1 times

https://resources.worldsbk.com/files/re ... 1596203675

Baz
Rea
Bautista
Redding
Davis
Toprak
VDM
Haslam
Lowes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

FP2

https://resources.worldsbk.com/files/re ... 1596203675

Rinaldi !!!!
Redding
Bautista
Rea
Baz
Davies
Caricasulo
Laverty

Bit of a mixed bag coming into Superpole there !!!!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'm very happy with race 1 :)
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm I'm very happy with race 1 :)
i bet you are, i like Jonny but would love Scott or even Lowes to win, its great having all the brits. but to win BSB then the following year WSBK would be great.

on a side note why do they make the riders wear masks in the interview, scott was almost dying because he could breath, pretty sure cameras have a zoom function :crazy:
CBR650r :mrgreen:
dallas95

Post by dallas95 »

This years wsb will be good just because Redding is in it. IMO he's become a special rider. He's always been fast but now he really thinks his way through the races. Watching him yesterday was the sign for the rest of the season. I think Johnny Rea will up his game and give Scott some competition but ultimately come up short, and I like Lowes but don't think he can get the better of Redding or Rea.
Moto gp next year for Redding after winning wsb championship.