Honda bikes, build quality?

Anything you like about motorbikes
YoKaiser

Honda bikes, build quality?

Post by YoKaiser »

Looking at new bikes and I'm a fan aesthetically of the CB1000R and the Africa Twin*, looking around the 2016/18-2020 age. The bikes seem comparatively good value but a bit reading and finishing seems to be poor. Are they really that bad? I live around 10m from the sea and everything gets attacked by salt. I've watched folks saying that regardless of bike care the Africa Twin for instance just seemed intent on corroding.

* Two quite different bikes but I'm on a merry go round of looking for that next bike.
Supermofo

Re: Honda bikes, build quality?

Post by Supermofo »

Not owned a Honda in a long time but I've read of corrosion issues on the AT. MCN's one had rusty spokes and a rusty frame! Which given it was less than a year old is rubbish.

The CB1000R looks pucker, though no idea on finish long term.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I think its comparative. The finish may not be as good as 90's Hondas which, if looked after, still look as good as new today.
Compare them to other Jap bikes and they stand up well IMO. Paint finish is much plusher for a start.
If you want an Africa Twin or a CB1000R go and buy one and a few litres of ACF50 - Job jobbed :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Honda cut as many quality corners as the rest of them. They do what they can get away with. Years ago I always used to buy a Honda for Winter commuting,partly because I didn't mind destroying one,but also Honda stuck the elements just a little bit better. That's not true today.

The build quality on BMW bears no comparison to the quality item they were in the 70s and Honda finish now depends on which model you buy.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's not so much cutting corners as "all the good stuff is now banned".

Your bikes might rust, but the fish in the river outside the factory only have one head now. Win/lose.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:36 pm It's not so much cutting corners as "all the good stuff is now banned".

Your bikes might rust, but the fish in the river outside the factory only have one head now. Win/lose.
Two headed fish is a bonus for Terrapin's fishy thread. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've been looking at CB1000Rs, they appear to be well finished and last well, but it could just be the people who own them, when I looked at CBR650s 18 months ago I was amazed how rusty they were.
Honda Owner
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

I think my opinion of the CB1000R finishing comes from some of the AndyManCam videos. I'd need to look over them again but there was a few issues iirc. Not as obvious as the Africa Twin ones though, seems like lots of owners have rust issues and the well documented wheel corrosion.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:30 pm Honda cut as many quality corners as the rest of them. They do what they can get away with. Years ago I always used to buy a Honda for Winter commuting,partly because I didn't mind destroying one,but also Honda stuck the elements just a little bit better. That's not true today.
I still maintain that the build quality and corrosion resistance of late '80s VFRs has never been surpassed. I put 80k miles on my '89 VFR750-FK and commuted in all weathers except snow and when black ice was about and when I PX-ed it 6 years later all the fasteners still had their plating and the paintwork was as shiny as when it was new.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:12 pm I still maintain that the build quality and corrosion resistance of late '80s VFRs has never been surpassed. I put 80k miles on my '89 VFR750-FK and commuted in all weathers except snow and when black ice was about and when I PX-ed it 6 years later all the fasteners still had their plating and the paintwork was as shiny as when it was new.
From casual observation I think Honda still make an effort with premium bikes,such as their Blade,but many other models appear to be lacking. The VFR was one of those bikes,as thee knows,where Honda were embarrassed by the shed that was the VF750 and they went to town on the VFR to atone for past sins. It's still a forever bike,if you wanted it to be.

My R90S was twice the price of a Z1 in the 70s,but the beemer was streets ahead of Kawasaki in build quality. Now you still pay a bit of a premium for some BMs,but the opposition have upped their game and BMW have let their quality slide.
Walt Whitman
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

2020 quality is not a patch on 2007. DAMHIKT
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Build quality is not a box i think about ticking. As @G.P says, give it a well applied coat of acf50 and all is good. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:45 pm I've been looking at CB1000Rs, they appear to be well finished and last well, but it could just be the people who own them, when I looked at CBR650s 18 months ago I was amazed how rusty they were.
No surprise in the fact that if you look after any bike, it'll stay in good nick.

My CBR650R is as good as when I bought it and no, it's not been used on dry days only. I always give it a post ride wipe down and a proper 'Wicksey' seeing to every other month.

The best piece of kit for doing a proper job is my high powered air dryer.

Gets all the excess water and dust off. Lovely!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:56 pm

My R90S was twice the price of a Z1 in the 70s,but the beemer was streets ahead of Kawasaki in build quality. Now you still pay a bit of a premium for some BMs,but the opposition have upped their game and BMW have let their quality slide.
My first R80 wasn't great, can't remember the exact year but I think it was BXI reg? The later Mono was much better. My 2002 GS is light years ahead of the 2008 K1200R.

As for Honda, it depends where it's made. My Pan still cleans up well, it's 2001. The 1990 one I had had a plated swing arm where it had rotted out.

The Indian built CBF125 wasn't great, but much better built than the RE Himalayan I had that rotted before your eyes despite being slathered in ACF50, so I guess that Honda take that bit more care.

Some late 80s Honda's had bad issues. Ask any early Transalp owner about wheel rim corrosion.
wull

Post by wull »

Last Honda I had other than my wee race bike was a 2007 blade, I wasn’t a fan tbh, I always felt the Honda’s felt cheap, not a fan of them.