Dementia/Alzheimers memory loss calculations?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Dementia/Alzheimers memory loss calculations?

Post by Taipan »

My Mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which was the expected result, but what has thrown them is the Doctor said in his phone consultation that she "has a 47% decrease in memory"? They have really latched onto this after the phone call and are very concerned about what it means. I said I expect its a result of the memory test and the answers given, but they want to know exactly how this percentage figure is determined. As it took over a month to speak to the Doctor after the Mri/memory test they aren't expecting a quick reply for their request to speak to him again, so does anyone know how this percentage figure is calculated?
TIA
Amulree

Re: Dementia/Alzheimers memory loss calculations?

Post by Amulree »

Hi, Sorry to hear about that diagnosis. The decline of memory is a tragic thing. Nearly 5 years ago my sister was diagnosed with vascular dementia. I remember going to the hospital with her when they conducted a series of tests, some of which were very revealing. In one she was asked for as many words she could think of beginning with the letter 'f' in one minute. The average person can do 15 to 18, my sister started with 'photo' and got another 2. Considering she was a professor of English Literature in her professional career it was shocking.
However, the types of dementia are very different, and it seems they proceed at different rates - vascular dementia is at the worst end of the scale.
All the best for the future.......
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Sorry to hear that TP. My father died with/of Alzheimer's and I found the Alzheimer's Society extremely helpful and responsive
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Can’t help you mate but hope it all gets sorted out in some way. Never had to experience it so far in life.
SDF may be able to help, not sure if he’s here yet but he seems to have a wealth of knowledge in a lot of different areas.
Mick.
Skub

Post by Skub »

My best wishes Tiepin.

I can only imagine the 47% is where your MIL is now,rather than giving you a picture of the rate of degeneration.

It's a miserable time for the family,I'm surrounded by Alzheimers at the moment. My own MIL has suffered for 6 years brought on by a stroke,my stepmother also suffers. All in their 90s and just existing now.

It's horrible to lose those close to you piece by piece.

The family needs to be strong at this time. You take care of yourself man.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Thoughts are with you mate. Not a great situation and there's no upward curve with this disease. We currently have the in-laws at Chez Gremlin as they look to buy somewhere closer to the family, as the m-i-l is quite quickly deteriorating with the dementia, so I feel your despair. One thing that has struck me is how dependent she has become for the most basic of things, such as holding a cup tea or even eating. No wonder the f-i-l was literally at the end of his tether.

How the memory loss is calculated I have no idea. Seems like a plucked number to me, as there are good and bad days.

Take care, mate. Best wishes to your family.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Thoughts are with you Taipan. I can't help with the memory loss score but I and a friend found this youtube clip useful:

I haven't got round to working out how to post a youtube vid on here yet so you just get the link mate, sorry.

*edit -it seems all you have to do is put the address in as I did. Cool

Geçmiş olsun.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Good vid Yambo.

We've found with MIL,she will forget anyone has visited,not recall presents on her birthday,but she retains the happy feelings brought about by those events and is calmer and more content in her demeanour as a result.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955