Where next for Cal?

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
KungFooBob

Where next for Cal?

Post by KungFooBob »

His seat has been given to Alex Marquez.

He thinks he's still in with a chance of the other LCR bike, but Honda have already thanked him for his service, so I reckon he's out.

My money is on him being on a 'prilla in 2021.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93941 ... t-finished
Supermofo

Re: Where next for Cal?

Post by Supermofo »

Yup I think Honda want a Japanese rider on the bike so think Cal's out.

Be interesting to see how he goes on the 'pilla. I often wonder what Espagaro has done to pish people off. He gets some decent results on the bike and looks like he might go well on something really decent but doesn't seem to be in with a shout. Can't remember but seem to recall him being pretty good at Suzuki. You'd hope Cal could do at least as good as Aleix.
G.P

Post by G.P »

His plan was to retire at the end of the current contract so not sure he'll be terribly bothered unless the break for COVID has given him time to re-think?
I'd like to see him and Jack on Factory Ducatis :D
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am Yup I think Honda want a Japanese rider on the bike so think Cal's out.
Yeah as I mentioned on t'other thread, Naka is the sole Japanese rider in MGP and clearly Honda want to keep up the national presence in the series. The move of Marquez Minor is perhaps surprising, perhaps they were worried about the competition between two fast boys in the #1 team, after all traditional wisdom says you have an established winner and a rising star in the team to avoid the sort of on and off track clashes we've seen in other teams with two potential winners.

A shame for Cal as IMO he's a better rider than Naka, and better than the Asparagus brothers too, surprisingly gifted a works seat for being, um, Spanish. However he is getting old by GP standards and does have a bit of history throwing expensive bikes at the scenery. It might have been interesting to see him on a Ducati but I can't see that seat going anywhere but Dovi. Which leaves him right out, basically, as he's said he's not interested in WSB (the coffin of ambition). Maybe kick out one of the muppets commentating on BT Sport, or just enjoy the fairly substantial amounts of cash he must have made over the years.