Spag Pol to HRC

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Spag Pol to HRC

Post by Yorick »

Blimey. Younger Marquez gets the flip..

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... 1/4801634/
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Spag Pol to HRC

Post by weeksy »

Well that's just bizarre considering no one has ridden a bike in months .... weird indeed.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just a few years ago, he and Bradders were very equal for Tech3.
Their fortunes changed a lot.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 pm Blimey. Younger Marquez gets the flip..

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... 1/4801634/
Interesting, Young Marquez into Fully HRC supported LCR seat though, which actually could make life a bit easier as he won't get as direct comparisons with his brother (which he will get with what little of this season we have left).
Good for Pol, he's improved year on year and will be entertaining as ever.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Is this a record ?

A rider given the push before he's competed in a race for the team ?

I think a good move for the sport, he didn't earn that place, it was surely political.

You can't say that for the Aspagaro brothers, they ride the wheels off whatever they are sat on.
Brian
G.P

Post by G.P »

hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:01 pm Is this a record ?

A rider given the push before he's competed in a race for the team ?

I think a good move for the sport, he didn't earn that place, it was surely political.

You can't say that for the Aspagaro brothers, they ride the wheels off whatever they are sat on.
Really? Marquez is the reigning Moto2 Champion, in a non factory team. How is he not riding the wheels off the bike when he wins the championship? He's won Moto3 and Moto2 chamionships - nothing political about that.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wow,that's a bit of a surprise.

I wonder if that's Cal's career over...

The wild riding,super aggressive Pol may just suit the Honda,I just hope he doesn't hurt himself.

Alex Marquez may have a chance to come good now when not in the same pit as Marc,that move was always going to be a double edged sword. He's a slower burner than his bigger brother,but has shown if he's given time,he delivers the goods.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

G.P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm Really? Marquez is the reigning Moto2 Champion
OK, but he's never excited me.
Brian
G.P

Post by G.P »

hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:54 pm
G.P wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm Really? Marquez is the reigning Moto2 Champion
Which is a completely different thing !! :D

I know what you mean though, he's not as flamboyant as some, but maybe with a MotoGP bike under him he's bound to look more exciting.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:54 pm
We really dont look at things the same i guess judging by a few threads so far and now this one too

hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:05 pm We really dont look at things the same i guess judging by a few threads so far and now this one too
That was a bit of fun.

But nothing to do with being "a racer".

Yes he did win the championship, by 3 points, but I don't recall thinking "wow he's good" like, say, Quateraro.
Brian
Skub

Post by Skub »

hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Yes he did win the championship, by 3 points, but I don't recall thinking "wow he's good" like, say, Quateraro.
Don't forget Quartararo didn't show any dramatic potential when he went to Moto2. He finished 13th and 10th in the years he was there. It was a remarkable outcome that Fabio took to MotoGP so readily,because the talent wasn't blindingly evident during the previous years.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 pm Don't forget Quartararo didn't show any dramatic potential when he went to Moto2. He finished 13th and 10th in the years he was there. It was a remarkable outcome that Fabio took to MotoGP so readily
Yes, it's strange how the bike and rider have to match for the magic to happen. I was shattered at what happened to Rossi at Ducati. It was the dream pairing, incredible Italian rider, Italian bike. Italy would have exploded if he'd won the championship.

When I say say "strange" it's from an ancient perspective from the simpler days when a rider got on a bike a rode it, 125,350,500 all on the same day.
Brian
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 pm
hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Don't forget Quartararo didn't show any dramatic potential when he went to Moto2. He finished 13th and 10th in the years he was there. It was a remarkable outcome that Fabio took to MotoGP so readily,because the talent wasn't blindingly evident during the previous years.
In both those years that Fabio was fairly average in results Alex Marquez finished 4th in the championship :wtf:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

On a different track ( literally ) I watched Whit and Friends last night on Eurosport, saw James Toseland win his first WSB championship. Boy that brought back memories. Toseland, Haga, Chili, Corsa, Haslam, Walker and the rest. Seriously good racing based on skill more than massive computing power.
Brian
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:57 am On a different track ( literally ) I watched Whit and Friends last night on Eurosport, saw James Toseland win his first WSB championship. Boy that brought back memories. Toseland, Haga, Chili, Corsa, Haslam, Walker and the rest. Seriously good racing based on skill more than massive computing power.
As long as you were on a Ducati 999 at the time ;) .....the top 3 in the championship were all on them. If you watch the Whit and Friends with Shakey when he did his wildcard on the Monstermob Ducati WSB was like the Ducati 998 cup as every front running bike and even the wild cards were all on 998s of various models, FO2, FO3, RS etc.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:01 pm As long as you were on a Ducati 999 at the time ;) ..
Oh yes. I always saw it as cheating. 750 series so the Ducatis were allowed 1000. 1000 series so Ducati 1200. There is logic in it I suppose but that logic is "make it entertaining", keep it close for the punters. It goes back before ICE to horse racing doesn't it.

It's still going on today. If you have a really spectacular bike then they can impose a rev limit on you. I wonder if Rea is constantly easing the throttle.
Brian