Scratching an itch..

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Bustaspoke

Scratching an itch..

Post by Bustaspoke »

There's a few bikes out there that I'm curious to try & today I brought one of them home.
Suzuki SV650S,heard lots of positive comments about the Suzuki 650 Vtwin motor
I found this 2008 15000 mile two owner example for a fair price & the original rear mudguard,silencer & screen included in the price.
The only other Vtwin I've ridden is a Ducati 916,I can't say that I was a fan of the Ducati,lets see how this Vtwin fares..
The consumables on the SV look like there's a lot of miles left in them so I'll ride it for a few months then either chop it in for something else on my "Need to try list" or keep hold of it & chop in the Street Triple.It needs a front mudguard extender & I've just fitted a smart charger lead but apart from those mods it's just getting ridden.

It was a bit of a puzzle gaining access to the battery to fit the charger leads,the battery's under the front seat & requires the removal of two sidepanels,one on either side of the bike,retained with a Allen screw & then the removal of the seat,retained with a different sized Allen screw,I feel happier now that I know how to access the battery & what tools I need,looking good so far :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Re: Scratching an itch..

Post by KungFooBob »

A billion (maybe an exaggeration) minitwin racers can't be wrong. I've only ridden the curvy one, it was adequate (but I owned an R6 at the time).

They're a lot of bike for the money, just too small for me.

Bet it's frickin' loud with that Black Widow on it?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

One of my favourite little bikes and only a few simple mods make a great track toy. Me and a mate ran a couple for a few years.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:36 pm One of my favourite little bikes and only a few simple mods make a great track toy. Me and a mate ran a couple for a few years.

Rode it, it was ok. Didn't excite though
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:38 pm
Couchy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:36 pm One of my favourite little bikes and only a few simple mods make a great track toy. Me and a mate ran a couple for a few years.

It handled superbly, maybe you didn’t ride it hard enough 👍🤣
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:41 pm
weeksy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:38 pm

It handled superbly, maybe you didn’t ride it hard enough 👍🤣
Of that there is very little doubt.

Despite it being faster on back straight, I much preferred the 690 on the day.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:33 pm A billion (maybe an exaggeration) minitwin racers can't be wrong. I've only ridden the curvy one, it was adequate (but I owned an R6 at the time).

They're a lot of bike for the money, just too small for me.

Bet it's frickin' loud with that Black Widow on it?
II've only rode it approx 30 miles so far,it's nowhere near as sporty as my Street Triple,but I bought it because I wanted something more relaxed,that would be less tempting to ride in a 'spirited' manner :D
I agree they're a lot of bike for the money,I'm just a shortarse 5'6,so for me it's the right fit.
Yes the exhaust is loud,but my mate reckoned it wasn't to loud.I'm a fan of quiet exhausts myself so I might put the standard silencer back on there,not just yet though.
dern

Post by dern »

Oooo, that’s nice. Not too sure about the silencer but like the colour.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Niiice

TBF, I only rode one once, and I got off a Blackbird onto the SV650 and it just didn't feel right!! LOL But that will be cos I was a relatively new rider and had basically only ridden that bigger bikes!! LOL

Mind you, everyone kept telling me to get one as they are 'great girls bikes' :o :o :o :roll: - so I bought a TL1000s!! :lol: :lol:

Despite that, I would love an SV out here, reckon it would be proper fun on these roads :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've always fancied an SV as a road going cafe racer/track bike type thing. I did consider keeping my 690 and buying an sv as I could have both but decided they were probably too similar
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Because this isn't a NBT (should have put NBT in the threat title :p )

Bikes I need to buy/ride to scratch an itch...

Original 98 R1.
Original Hayabusa.
Original ZX10R.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Noggin wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:24 pm Niiice

Despite that, I would love an SV out here, reckon it would be proper fun on these roads :D :D :D
I bought it as a cheap workhorse & to have some fun with on the backroads around here.Big enough to be fun on the backroads but not so powerfull as to lose my licence. :thumbup:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:39 pm I've always fancied an SV as a road going cafe racer/track bike type thing. I did consider keeping my 690 and buying an sv as I could have both but decided they were probably too similar
If I didn't have my Street Triple 675R,I would have tried the SV650X with the trellis frame,this bike is just a cheap & cheerful way of trying a SV650 & seeing what the fuss is about.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 pm Because this isn't a NBT (should have put NBT in the threat title :p )

Bikes I need to buy/ride to scratch an itch...

Original 98 R1.
Original Hayabusa.
Original ZX10R.
I always wanted to own a white & red 1998 4XV R1,but I was & still am wary of losing my licence or worse on one :wtf:
My mate has just bought a mint Hyabussa for our Scotland tour.
I've never got the litre bike power thing myself,I I always prefered 750's a few of my mates had Exup's & GSXR11's,I was happy enough on my FZ750.
If two strokes weren't going for daft money I would love a 350LC.It would be weird though if we all liked the same bikes :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Congrats. I think they are cracking bikes. Had a few of them and enjoyed all of them. Nice torquey little twin and great on back roads.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

You know that Canesten is for the itch right? But I guess an SV650 may work rather well!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

God damn you (apologies to the priest) got me trawling through for sale ads & regretting my guzzi purchase, not had much experience of them apart from a trip to Belgium 20yrs ago & a couple of laps on one at Benson ard, but very capable little twin & all the better for being the faired S version 👍
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I remember when the minitwin series started and the paddock was full of them on friday night in various states of preparation for racing at the weekend. Some were fully prepped, money no object covered in trick bits and others had the lights, plates removed and race numbers stuck on :mrgreen:

We get loads of new riders looking for them after passing test as their first big bike :thumbup:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I ordered some stuff for the SV650 over the last couple of days,Front mudguard extender,ACF 50,& a LED that indicates the voltage from the reg/rec, & it's all turned up today.I've now took the lower fairings off so I can give the bike a good clean & apply the ACF50. It's pretty minging behind the fairing lowers...
The side fairing brackets need blasting & powder coating,but the frame seems pretty clean.I've had the wire wool & Autosol on the front downpipe but I can see me trying the Harpic next.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Don't do a 'Claude' if you try to change the front plug!