Sponsored rider takes championship

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Couchy

Sponsored rider takes championship

Post by Couchy »

Last year we as a company got involved with a mates lad, he was 6 and used our yard to practice on his minimoto. I was impressed by his elbow down figure of eights and how he consistently slid the rear exiting corners. A plan was hatched with his dad and we helped them buy an ohvale 110 for a new to the UK championship run by Peter Hickman and with the Michael Laverty academy involved it had good publicity too. Last year though he had to get special dispensation to enter the last few rounds as he was too young, he did and got some good podium results in the last few rounds setting him up for a proper go this year. The MLA were also looking for several riders but for some reason our rider didn’t figure in their plans despite being the youngest and amongst the fastest, no worry he’ll be fine on his own.

All through the year the bike was consistently the slowest, despite the engines being supplied sealed when placed in the dyno some were 10% more powerful and could draft him with ease. 

But lots of practice at the local track here and some outstanding riding saw him take the championship today 🏆🏆🏆

He’s still too young to move up so that’ll be another decision to be made, he’s beat all the older kids who’ve been racing longer and all the MLA supported kids. 
Him and his family have worked very hard to get this and I’m glad we helped a tiny bit with the bike purchase and a place to practice.

Kid is called Wilson Dilks so listen out for him in years to come

Yorick

Re: Sponsored rider takes championship

Post by Yorick »

Woo hoo. I love to see this sort of thing :)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

This was a couple of rounds ago in the wet, talented little shit 🤣

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'd pay £20 to see you ride the bugger
:banana-wrench:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:21 pm I'd pay £20 to see you ride the bugger
I’ve tried and tbh they’re quite roomy. However at our local track it’s popular with BSB riders on their minibikes and he doesn’t get too outclassed by them, some even offer advice so long as he isn’t passing them.
Last week he was in Spain for some practice and he was hassling next years Leopard riders, what I’m saying is I’m never sharing a track with him as it’ll be humiliating 🤣
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:21 pm I'd pay £20 to see you ride the bugger
I’ve tried and tbh they’re quite roomy. However at our local track it’s popular with BSB riders on their minibikes and he doesn’t get too outclassed by them, some even offer advice so long as he isn’t passing them.
Last week he was in Spain for some practice and he was hassling next years Leopard riders, what I’m saying is I’m never sharing a track with him as it’ll be humiliating 🤣
I remember first day at Almeria about 7 years ago. Got passed by a young lass about 12 on the tight bits.

Obviously I had a flat tyre and a misfire ;)

Pretty sure it was that Anna Cascarana or whatever her name is :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Brilliant.

Go Wilson. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Good stuff, love to see young kids get a bit of help and progress. Will remember his name for talent cup in the near future :thumbup:

A mate some will know (Bob Collins) has been helping Casey O'Gorman for a while from his time in the Ohvale championships with a bit of bike help and some rider coaching on minibikes ....Casey has now won the Talent Cup in the UK and now has a ride in Red Bull Rookies for next season. Bob now has him on an old CBR600RR ragging road Cartagena last week with him 3/4 a second off ex BSB racer Gary Mason on a 1000 cc bike

Hopefully young Wilson can follow that path and get the opportunities