Want to know about Hideout Leather? Interview with Kate Jennings

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I've just finished recording an interview with Kate Jennings of Hideout Leather as part of my series on the CE standards and motorcycle riding kit.

In previous interviews I've spoken to Paul Varnsverry who filled us in on the history behind the CE approval ratings and compared the older Level One / Two and A, AA & AAA standards, and with Chris Hurren who took us through the MotoCAP independent test procedure and how the test rigs themselves compare against real world road surfaces.

Kate gives us a different perspective again, as she explains the challenges of manufacturing a top quality leather suit, the compromises between crash performance (for the racer) and comfort (for the road rider), how professional riders use Hideout's kit, and explains why she designed a range of textiles to match the performance of her leather suits.

Tune in LIVE to Elevenses at www.facebook.com/survivalskills on MONDAY 4 MAY at 11 AM BST, or catch up on Facebook or YouTube at www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Re: Want to know about Hideout Leather? Interview with Kate Jennings

Post by Hot_Air »

While it's a lengthy interview, I thought it included some hidden gems of advice from Kate about choosing and looking after leathers. Given she's had 25 years' experience of repairing crashed clothing, it was also interesting which non-Hideout brands she recommends too. Sometimes people pussyfoot around these sorts of recommendation, but Kate was clear and articulate.

Also, she sounded adamant about the value of decent armour, and it's a shame she didn't have more time to speak about this topic. I know Liz de Rome's research put into question the value of armour except for abrasion resistance. However, the downside with a study like de Rome's is that it's such a broad-brush analysis. Though I expect armour is only helpful in low-speed impacts.

I've chatted with Kate at Hideout, and she put significant emphasis on decent armour. She has considerable "post-crash" experience and made it clear that it matters which armour you have, as well as whether or not the armour can move in a crash. Also, Chris at Nine Lives has mentioned the importance of having armour with sufficient coverage to be useful (plus replacing armour that's too old). In short, the people who repair crashed leathers seem to think that it matters which armour you have, and this perspective differs from the academic research to date.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Glad you enjoyed the interview... it's up on my YouTube channel without the Broadband drop out issues that the one of FB is suffering from... www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk.

Obviously there are a limited number of questions / topics we can cover - as it was the chat lasted over 50 mins.

But I decided not to cover body armour because it's another topic altogether - right through the five part series on Elevenses, I've chosen to focusi on abrasion resistant clothing, mainly because the recent changes to the CE standards probably haven't got quite the full understanding of the implications for the lower A, AA and AAA test requirements, in terms of what the clothing can be expected to achieve.

So that's been my focus right the way through the five Elevenses shows, from my own assessment and evaluation, via the interviews with the experts - Paul Varnsverry the standards guy, Dr Chris Hurren the research scientist, and Kate Jennings the manufacturer.

Re the armour... the problem is the strictly limited amount of impact protection it can give. Nothing can change that. I think you are too dismissive of Liz de Rome's study - she looked at the results of a LOT of crashes.

Oh, and 'hidden gems'? She was answering my questions ;) I was trying to pull out that information :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
joe19

Post by joe19 »

I got someone hideout leathers years ago.

Lovely place and they were great. I've lost weight so they don't fit anymore. Might see if she can alter them.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Which reminds me, I may have to visit once we have freedom , to buy a real protective leather jacket.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:11 pm I may have to visit once we have freedom
When you visit, could you let us know what Hideout's new System Concept clobber is like? It's made from something called Titanite; perhaps they buy it from Lex Luthor.

It's supposed to be as tough as leather yet – in hot weather – keeps you as cool as a cucumber. Allegedly. I've not seen it, but I'm Titanite curious ;)