Buying advice

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bomble

Buying advice

Post by Bomble »

I’ve put a deposit on a second hand bike at a dealer but obviously can’t pick it up. The dealer has offered to deliver it but I must pay the balance before they will deliver, I haven’t seen the bike btw.
They also say they can’t take cards at the moment as the showroom is shut and they are working from home, so it must be a bank transfer. Does this sound legit?
They are a main dealer btw.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Buying advice

Post by weeksy »

Mmm sounds a bit off to me.

I'd pass just as making a point. They're being unreasonable
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Sounds OK to me. Why should they give you the bike before you pay for it ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Because that's how it works? You don't go to a restaurant and pay before collecting unless it McDonalds.

You can ask for a deposit, sure. Then pay when driver drops it off and you agree it's ok.

I've seen too many shit bikes from dealers to pay before it arrives
Skub

Post by Skub »

A couple of things would be factors in a decision for me.

1. How badly do I want this bike.

2. Can it be bought elsewhere for similar money?

Currently we are all in unfamiliar territory,so we need to work with each other to get an end result. Both buyer and seller have a part to play in this role. Personally I'd at least want to see the bike in the flesh before parting with my hard earned. If that couldn't be arranged,then I'd probably just wait,or go elsewhere.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm Because that's how it works? You don't go to a restaurant and pay before collecting unless it McDonalds.

You can ask for a deposit, sure. Then pay when driver drops it off and you agree it's ok.

I've seen too many shit bikes from dealers to pay before it arrives
It sounded like the seller "offered" to do this as a favour. Otherwise wait till it's all over.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Even with a bank transfer you are protected to a degree under the sale of goods act,but unlike paying with a card,you'll have to do the legwork and sue the dealer,if it all goes wrong.

I don't understand why they won't accept card payment. The terminals used to process a transaction can be used at the dealer's home,all you need is power and a phone line. Plus,if they are going to the showroom to pick up your bike for delivery,why can't they process a card at the same time.

More questions than answers.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

I definitely want the bike as it’s the perfect spec I am looking for and I’m happy with the price we agreed. It’s a main dealer doing a sale or return for a valued customer apparently. I initially said I’d pay a deposit then pick it up when the lockdown ends but they didn’t want to take it off sale for such a potentially long/unknown time as they are selling it for a customer.
It comes with 2 months manufacturers warranty on it topped off with an extra month from the dealer giving 3 months.
It just goes against the grain sending a big chunk of cash to someone ive never met for a bike I’ve never seen, I sort of think if a mate told me they had done that I’d tell them they were mental :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If you don't want to pay in advance, how do you think you'll pay for it ?
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Ive put £500 down as a deposit and would pay when they deliver it ideally. Maybe me just being a bit paranoid with all the uncertainty at the mo.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

This would be enough to make me back out personally. I can't believe a main dealer can't get into their own finance system/payment machines. How are they selling bikes?
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Are you certain you're dealing with this main dealer and not someone posing as them?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bomble wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:03 pm I definitely want the bike as it’s the perfect spec I am looking for and I’m happy with the price we agreed. It’s a main dealer doing a sale or return for a valued customer apparently. I initially said I’d pay a deposit then pick it up when the lockdown ends but they didn’t want to take it off sale for such a potentially long/unknown time as they are selling it for a customer.
It comes with 2 months manufacturers warranty on it topped off with an extra month from the dealer giving 3 months.
It just goes against the grain sending a big chunk of cash to someone ive never met for a bike I’ve never seen, I sort of think if a mate told me they had done that I’d tell them they were mental :D
I think I'm right in saying that if they are selling for a 'valued customer' you don't have any comeback on the dealer.

Be careful... there have been cases where dealers have pocketed the cash and done a runner, leaving the seller and the buyer to fight out who owns the bike.

Personally, the moment you said they are selling it for someone else I'd be walking away... rapidly.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Thanks for the replies. I’m definitely not having it delivered so I’m looking at other options . I’m not in a rush for it but the shop doesn’t seem to want to wait indefinitely for the lockdown.
Even though it is a sale on commission it will still have a warranty from the shop, my deposit receipt is from the shop etc.
It’s quite common now it seems, a large percentage of stock at one of our local bike shops is sale on commission, seems a win win. The customer gets more than the trade price and the shop makes a percentage without having all the money tied up in the bike.
G.P

Post by G.P »

On the basis that you can't ride till after lockdown there's not really any point in getting into uncomfortable territory.
Irrelevant of lockdown though, I'd ask to see what the sales invoice says if a dealer is selling on behalf and I'd insist on HPI check being done.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Why can’t you get them to deliver, once seen and you’re happy do the bank transfer then. Most go through immediately nowadays, at least that’s my experience.
Up to you in the end, if the dealer wants some income there is a solution but if they aren’t willing to work with you how much faith would you have in a warranty from them?
Cheers
Mick.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bomble wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:39 pm Even though it is a sale on commission it will still have a warranty from the shop, my deposit receipt is from the shop etc.
It’s quite common now it seems, a large percentage of stock at one of our local bike shops is sale on commission, seems a win win. The customer gets more than the trade price and the shop makes a percentage without having all the money tied up in the bike.
As I said, if the dealer acts as an agent, I don't think you have any come-back against the dealer.

If the bike turns out to be a dog, I think I'm right in saying your claim is against the original owner... and then you have much more difficulty getting your cash back. You're buying something you haven't seen from someone you don't know, simply because it's on the website of a bike shop.

A month's extra warranty? Who's underwriting it? What does it cover? If it's just a promise by the dealer, how do you know they'll honour it and say it's not a problem caused after you bought it?

By contrast, you have a lot of buyers' rights IF the bike is sold BY the dealer. I bought a dud of a van a few years ago. Fortunately it was from a dealer, and whilst they wriggled as hard as they could, in the end they folded and I got nearly all my cash back.

Ask yourself, who is it a win-win for?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I wouldn’t do it on that basis tbh, I’d only pay deposit and balance on delivery after I’d seen the bike. Leave it with them if they won’t do that move on