Dodgy69

MT range looking good..

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: MT range looking good..

Post by weeksy »

If they'd sorted the handling issues out on the MT-09 i'd have been tempted.

But i don't know whether they have or they even consider them an issue.

Couchies one at Donny had a couple of rear wheel weird moments with me riding it and many more with him riding it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I've heard a lot about MT7/9 handling/suspension. Are the Tracers the same? I'd presume so. Seems a shame as a great line up of bikes with MT/XSR/Tracer but if the handling is off seems odd Yamaha won't sort it. I seem to recall they stiffened up the suspension on the MT07's. But wasn't lack of front end feel a problem?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am I've heard a lot about MT7/9 handling/suspension. Are the Tracers the same? I'd presume so. Seems a shame as a great line up of bikes with MT/XSR/Tracer but if the handling is off seems odd Yamaha won't sort it. I seem to recall they stiffened up the suspension on the MT07's. But wasn't lack of front end feel a problem?
Don't get me wrong, we were getting a decent lick on and it wasn't terrible... but that said, it wasn't 'right' either.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Transformers - Robots in Disguise
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

The engine in my MT09SP was superb, the handling was rubbish. Not rubbish in an amusing way but rubbish in an unstable gonna crash way. On the road it would shake it's bars at any oppurtunity and threaten a tank slapper. On the track it weaved badly and did the same. I liked the engine so much though I spent a whole day with a suspension guy at Donington and we did improve it but couldn't dial out the weave. I honestly think they are too high at the front and low at the back. The high bars also don't help with the windblast. Had similar issues with the S1000R, you could argue they aren't designed to have sticky tyres and a big bloke on them at a race track but then bikes like my 1090 are very well behaved in the same scenario
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep, some do upgrade front and back but I've had no issues on my tracer in the 2000 miles I've done. Ain't been on track yet and always solo these days. Apparently though, way too soft with pillions and luggage.

I'd say though, that many manufacturers don't sell with best suspension and many folks do upgrade.
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

I think if I was after a more practical bike than the Monster 1200, I'd be looking at the New Triumph flat plane cranked Tiger 900. Its getting rave reviews, both GT (Roadie and Rally Pro..)

The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am I've heard a lot about MT7/9 handling/suspension. Are the Tracers the same? I'd presume so. Seems a shame as a great line up of bikes with MT/XSR/Tracer but if the handling is off seems odd Yamaha won't sort it. I seem to recall they stiffened up the suspension on the MT07's. But wasn't lack of front end feel a problem?
I think the 2019 Tracer has a longer swing arm.

I had no problems with the one I was riding in NZ back in Feb 2019. I put 5000 km on it and it handled fine on the twisty NZ roads.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Haven't ridden the 07 or the 09 but I'm a fan of the MT10. If I was buying an I/L four supernaked, hands down that would be the one I'd have. Doesn't feel as brutal or as fast as the Superduke but still extremely rapid and huge fun with bags of character.
It's not the bargain buy it once was though. It's crept up over the years to match competitors. The 07 and 09 are still very good value, though I do worry that the finish quality is where they've kept the price down. It's all a bit black plastic and anodised mild steel. Wouldn't be my choice if my bike had to live out of doors.

I think the whole range looks good though, even the MT10. I like the black and royal blue colour scheme. Unusually grown-up by Jap standards. Looks smart. An they haven't overdone the brushed aluminium the way the Europeans seem to be doing. To much makes a bike look like a kitchen appliance.
Skub

Post by Skub »

G.P wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm I think if I was after a more practical bike than the Monster 1200, I'd be looking at the New Triumph flat plane cranked Tiger 900. Its getting rave reviews, both GT (Roadie and Rally Pro..)

I can't get my head around the visuals of that genre of bike. Ugly cluttered up mudpluggers. Yeah,I hear what folk say,'bikes are for riding,not for looking at'. I get the drift,but I need to like looking at them too. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:59 pm
G.P wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm I think if I was after a more practical bike than the Monster 1200, I'd be looking at the New Triumph flat plane cranked Tiger 900. Its getting rave reviews, both GT (Roadie and Rally Pro..)

I can't get my head around the visuals of that genre of bike. Ugly cluttered up mudpluggers. Yeah,I hear what folk say,'bikes are for riding,not for looking at'. I get the drift,but I need to like looking at them too. :P
I like the look of the older Paris Dakar Bikes and quite like the the New Africa Twin and T7 Yam. But yeah, I've got a Triumph Tiger 800 and its as ugly as sin, almost to the point of it being endearing , but not quite, Its an appliance and was brilliant when I commuted 160 miles per day. Not Camera friendly for sure!