MSV Snetterton 15th May Ride Report

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Le_Fromage_Grande

MSV Snetterton 15th May Ride Report

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It was wet, not pissing down wet, but damp track wet, Fast Group go out, red flagged on third lap, inters go out, red flagged on second lap lap, we go out in the slow group, I'm third in the queue, 1st is on an R6 on normal looking tyres, 2nd is a big KTM on wets, 3rd is me on hard compound race tyres, we do first sighting lap, feels wet but not horrendous, the guy on the KTM is leaving me coming out of corners because he has some mid range power. 2nd sighting lap, round the first corner, matey on the KTM gets a bit of a wobble on and throws it down the road, the KTM decides to go back to it's dirt bike roots and ploughs up the grass, our session is red flagged.

Both fast and inters second sessions are red flagged, then it's our turn again, I hang back a bit and let the pit lane clear, accelerate out onto track, get round the first corner and red flag, someone has decided that the esses is a good place to dump an SV650 on it's side. This turns out to be my last lap of the day.

Every session in every group was red flagged, quite a lot of time was spent cleaning oil off the track, the weather didn't improve so we came home at 3pm
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: MSV Snetterton 15th May Ride Report

Post by weeksy »

Liked for the write up. But yeah I can feel your pain
Le_Fromage_Grande

Shit weather happens, I've tried to inject a bit of humour, I feel sorry for all those people with bent bikes, I don't think anyone was seriously hurt, some very second hand looking bikes though, so while I had a wasted day, some people had a very expensive day.

Quite a few people rode they're bikes to the track, at least one of these binned it.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

It makes me wonder at folk who take their one and only pride and joy on a trackday,then act devastated when they parcel it up. To my mind a bike you won't be traumatised to drop makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Having said that,I've always used my current bikes on the day,but understanding the risks and not trying to break the lap record either.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

That sounds like a right bummer of a day. Used to live not far from Snetterton when I was a kid, the sound of racing was the back ground to our youth but only time I've been round the circuit was as a passanger in a Morgan 3 wheeler 😀
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I read somewhere about TDO giving credit's back if sessions are very wet. Not sure where though. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm It makes me wonder at folk who take their one and only pride and joy on a trackday,then act devastated when they parcel it up. To my mind a bike you won't be traumatised to drop makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Having said that,I've always used my current bikes on the day,but understanding the risks and not trying to break the lap record either.
At Donington a guy totalled one of them reet posh V4 GP Ducatis.

He didn't seem to care. Obviously loaded.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Skub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm It makes me wonder at folk who take their one and only pride and joy on a trackday,then act devastated when they parcel it up. To my mind a bike you won't be traumatised to drop makes the whole thing much more enjoyable.

Now that's the right attitude!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Now that's the right attitude!
I put 5 brand new GSXR1000s on track after only riding them home from the shop.
They were just a tool to me.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

There is always trackday insurance ........ not cheap for a days cover but a damn sight cheaper than replacing a 5 figure bike that isnt insured when it turns into a smashed up box of bits ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:33 pm I read somewhere about TDO giving credit's back if sessions are very wet. Not sure where though. 🤔
I had a £65 credit from MSV last year for one that had to be stopped at Cadwell, but the weather wasn't that bad today, it was just the high number of people coming off meant that the track wasn't being used enough to get a dry line.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

It's why I've got a £1200 FZR400, I think I've done 10 track days on it, nine of them on the same pair of tyres.

My friend was out on his Moriwaki SP2, he was just as miserable as the rest of us.
Honda Owner