GoPro mounting advice for a newbie videographerist

blokeuptheroad

GoPro mounting advice for a newbie videographerist

Post by blokeuptheroad »

So... I'd been thinking about getting one for ages, but my awesome offspring have chipped in and bought me a used GoPro Hero 7 black for my birthday. I know it's a couple of iterations off the new spec, but it has the image stabilisation and seems, based on my limited playing about with it to take excellent videos.

Main use will be filming outdoor stuff, especially mountain biking, hill walking and motorcycling. I don't want to bore the tits off everyone as another rubbish wannabe youtuber, so this will primarily be for my own interest and maybe to share with mates who come out with me.

Loads to learn regarding editing etc, but my main question for you fine people, is how should I mount it to my bike? On my mtb I'll probably use a chest mount as I think that POV is a good compromise, but not sure on the motorbike. Off on a Scotland tour in a couple of months with the missus on pillion and would like to practice a bit before then on shorter rides to get competent ish at filming. Handlebar mount or helmet mount? I don't want to throw a load of cash at this - so budget friendly suggestions appreciated.

My Tiger GT Pro actually has GoPro integration so you can switch it off and on and take still images etc via bluetooth using the bikes switchgear. Dunno how well it works yet though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: GoPro mounting advice for a newbie videographerist

Post by weeksy »

That's quite clever! Maybe distracting though.

Do you want a high, low, front, rear view?

Put on helmet?
blokeuptheroad

Post by blokeuptheroad »

Front view I think, and helmet sounds like a good idea but i might occasionally want a view looking back towards me and the missus. So maybe a bar mount where I can flip it round?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

blokeuptheroad wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:27 pm Front view I think, and helmet sounds like a good idea but i might occasionally want a view looking back towards me and the missus. So maybe a bar mount where I can flip it round?
Won't you be in the way then?
blokeuptheroad

Post by blokeuptheroad »

weeksy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:34 pm
blokeuptheroad wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:27 pm Front view I think, and helmet sounds like a good idea but i might occasionally want a view looking back towards me and the missus. So maybe a bar mount where I can flip it round?
Won't you be in the way then?
Always! Probably didn't explain that very well. Mostly looking forward at scenery and twisty tarmac, with the occasional view back towards ugly pilot and pretty pillion for a change in perspective. Arty init.
rossm

Post by rossm »

Had a tank mount one that allowed you to fill up, ebay from Lord knows how long ago, worked fine

https://postimg.cc/zb3Q33XZ