Attending a BSB event

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
chutzpah

Attending a BSB event

Post by chutzpah »

You never know, we might actually be able to do stuff by then............... So everything below assumes the country is in a place we can do stuff like this by then...

I was wondering about attending the BSB event at Thruxton for the craic at the end of July. It's just over an hour away from me and the entry fee for a day pass isn't ruinous if I end up regretting spending a day there.

I've never attended a race of any form before, any advice, especially from anyone that has been to Thruxton in particular? Can you generally move around if you decide the bit of track you've got view of has gotten a bit dull?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Attending a BSB event

Post by weeksy »

Plenty of movement at Thruxton yeah. We generally cebd up near a beer stand.

You won't get in paddock though unless you book a special pass I think.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The final chicane is brilliant to watch at. Worth paying into grandstand.
Or walk along to Cambell for a great free view.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:17 pm We generally cebd up near a beer stand.
Started drinking already @weeksy? :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

chutzpah wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:06 pm
I've never attended a race of any form before, any advice, especially from anyone that has been to Thruxton in particular? Can you generally move around if you decide the bit of track you've got view of has gotten a bit dull?
Not done BSB, but like many people on here I've done loads of live motorsport. F1, MotoGP, BTCC, Le Mans, Endurance racing...err...other stuff I think.

General things I'd think about, especially in the UK...

Earplugs! You might think they're a bit nancy but IME the noise gets tiring after all day. F1 used to be bloody awful for it, I imagine BSB is better but it can still be pretty loud.

Consider something to sit on, either camping chairs or blankets. Depends on the track and the weather of course, but sitting on a bank in a puddle ain't fun.

Moving around is fine, but be aware some tracks are better than others. Silverstone for example is nearly all grandstand now and depending on the series might be ticket only (some lower series let you sit anywhere you can find a seat, deffo not in MotoGP or F1). Thruxton probably has more general access viewing but I've not been there.

Expect to get fleeced for food/drink.

Really good viewing spots fill up early and fast. Again probably less so for BSB at Thruxton but think about it.