How much does exclusivity/name/badge/marque matter to you ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

How much does exclusivity/name/badge/marque matter to you ?

Post by weeksy »

Are you happy being a generic bike guy, or do you want a bit of exclusivity ? Does the name on the tank matter to you ? Or is it all about the riding ?

Do you want to blend in, or be the center of attention.

I was looking this weekend at the 890R after a thread on the XSR/FZ09 forum.

This came up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-890-Duke ... 0290.m3507

You get the 890R plus track stuff and an exhaust thrown in... Not crazy money.

A quick look on 'how many left' shows VERY few, only 14 actually registered 890Rs in the UK currently... Which does tick a bit of the exclusivity box for me. Along with it being a cool bike (imo) and obviously being a bit of a KTM fanboi. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=ktm+890

However, the XSR900 is absolutely exceptional as far as bikes go, which is the only thing stopping me jumping on the 890R dead... but it's a bit 'japanese' in the context of desirability of course.
cheb

Re: How much does exclusivity/name/badge/marque matter to you ?

Post by cheb »

The bikes matter way more than the badge, and that applies to pretty much any machine or appliance.

I don't get the tribal thing, 'I'd never own a {brand}', 'If it ain't a {brand} it ain't shit', or 'All {brand] do {thing}.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Ride over brand I think. Never owned a Ducati, MV, BMW etc so probably says a lot.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Popular bikes are popular and common for reasons.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

cheb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:46 am The bikes matter way more than the badge, and that applies to pretty much any machine or appliance.

I don't get the tribal thing, 'I'd never own a {brand}', 'If it ain't a {brand} it ain't shit', or 'All {brand] do {thing}.
Are you saying not all Honda's are bland and not all Ducati's are unreliable?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Depends what I want the bike for, if it's to use, then it's best tool for the job, if it's for the pleasure of owning it, then brand matters.
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Hmm, i would like to say it didn't but ...
I am not big fan of IL4 - they are obviously brilliant, very fast and loved by many , but i always feel they are soulless. Hence it reduces my options ...
Then styling plays a part - I have had a KTM (950SM) which was wonderful - but I really don't like the cornflake box styling.

As and ex Buell owner I do find myself drawn by the quirky - I do like the RE craze sweeping the world. Also feel myself drawn to Moto Guzzi ...
Have had Ducatis for years - but even with that I find it all bit meh! The new alloy framed monster is a bit too SV 650 ...
cheb

Post by cheb »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:13 am
cheb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:46 am The bikes matter way more than the badge, and that applies to pretty much any machine or appliance.

Are you saying not all Honda's are bland and not all Ducati's are unreliable?
Hang on, I need to check which makes you have before I start with the insults. :banana-dance:

Maybe all Hondas are bland when compared to similar bikes? Is a CR500 blander than a KX500?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I'm more interested in whether the bike does what I want it to and if I like the look of it. If anything I'd shy away from manufacturers that trade heavily on their 'brand', as I know the bike is probably over-priced for what it is. Having said that I've owned Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Ducatis, Aprilias and KTMs. Make of that what you will.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:42 am Hang on, I need to check which makes you have before I start with the insults. :banana-dance:

Maybe all Hondas are bland when compared to similar bikes? Is a CR500 blander than a KX500?
I was gonna say a CB500 is blander than an ER5, but you can get CB500s with gold wheels so maybe not?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I knew which enduro bike I wanted, and it came in 2 versions.
I didn't want the council house version, so bought the upmarket Husqvarna :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I like exclusive but knowing that usually means difficulty and expense I'm happy with standard. As far as brands go I'd rather not have one that makes me look shallow.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

If I take a shine to it, i'm buying it! DGAS whether other people revere or hate it. These days its function over fashion in most aspects of life though...
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am Are you happy being a generic bike guy, or do you want a bit of exclusivity ? Does the name on the tank matter to you ? Or is it all about the riding ?
Do you want to blend in, or be the center of attention.

If I'm being perfectly honest,then yes,brand does seem to matter to me.

If I'm looking to change I'll first check out what Kawasaki have to offer. If they don't have what I'm after,or even one I can shape to fit,then I'll look at what other marques are selling.

When it boils down,right from the 70s Kawasaki bikes flap my flag and while I've owned other Japanese bikes,I've usually not kept them very long. A 10 year affair with an R90S was the exception to that rule.

I certainly don't aim to be the centre of attention in any way,I'm totally selfish in what I want,not what others think is cool. I don't ride with others very often now and avoid biker gatherings like the plague. I don't stay still long enough to be the centre of anyone's attention!

I've had runs on Italian exotica and enjoyed the rides,but never enough to want to own any of them. I like the thought of choice being out there,yet I doubt if I'll ever act on it.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 am Popular bikes are popular and common for reasons.
Not always good reasons.
Claude

Post by Claude »

It is important to me though there is more to it than that, I wanted the B3 Brutale based on riding the IL4 version, I've not ridden a naked that felt as 'good' including the (magazine rated) better MT09sp or the triumph street R.
It just happens that it is also a fairly exclusive brand.

If that makes sense?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

If you care about the brand then the marketing bullshit has actually scrambled you brain.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I don't care about the image but I place some score by brand values. I trust Honda to make a reliable vehicle. I do not trust Ducati to the same extent.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Asian Boss wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:46 pm I don't care about the image but I place some score by brand values. I trust Honda to make a reliable vehicle. I do not trust Ducati to the same extent.
I wouldn’t leave Norton in charge of the cat.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I dont really care about the badge or exclusivity, its the bike that matters to me.

Although when people ask what bike you have and reply "a Ducati 1200" seems to get an "Oooh thats nice" from people with little bike knowledge who seem to liken it to a bike version of a Ferrari